PDA

View Full Version : I Love Glossy Screens

craigc
21st November 2008, 07:26 PM
I was so certain that when I got my new MacBook I would hate the glossy screen. I am very prone to getting eye strain and thought that I would be driven mad by the reflections.

To my complete surprise, I actually love the glossy screen. I would go as far to say that I wouldn't buy a non-glossy screen again.

With a glossy screen, it just seems like there is nothing between you and the picture. Black text on a white background just looks so crisp. On a matte screen, it just looks washed out.

What do you all think?

Huy
21st November 2008, 07:28 PM
I also love the glassy (glossy + glass) screens: on my iMac (aluminium) and on my MacBook (aluminium).

It is also great on iPhone 3G. :D

NORMANDY
21st November 2008, 07:31 PM
I also love the glassy (glossy + glass) screens: on my iMac (aluminium) and on my MacBook (aluminium).

It is also great on iPhone 3G. :D

hate them, wait till you use them in an office and all the fluro lights light up on the screen and you see your self staring at your own reflection all day, then end up with eye strain.. no thanks!

I stick with all pro screens with no glass....

Huy
21st November 2008, 07:35 PM
There are no iMacs in the office where I work. :p

And the new cinema displays are glossy too.

Galumay
21st November 2008, 07:38 PM
To my complete surprise, I actually love the glossy screen. I would go as far to say that I wouldn't buy a non-glossy screen again.

so true, i would never buy another matte screen either. they are the only screens i have found you can use outside in sunlight - my MBP in glossy is OK but the MBA glossy is even better.

i actually find reflections more of an issue with matte screens.

anyway, we better like them - there isnt going to be an alternative from Apple soon!

matthew858
21st November 2008, 07:38 PM
The only problem with the iPhone screen is all the fingerprints, although I suppose that's what I guess for buying a touch-screen phone.

craigc
21st November 2008, 07:39 PM
hate them, wait till you use them in an office and all the fluro lights light up on the screen and you see your self staring at your own reflection all day, then end up with eye strain.. no thanks!

I can't say that I have tried them under fluro lights. It works well under all other lighting conditions that I have tried.

nick11851
21st November 2008, 07:50 PM
+1 Glossy!

NeoRicen
21st November 2008, 08:20 PM
I'm a fan of the glossy. Matte screens just look dull in comparison.

voss
21st November 2008, 08:33 PM
They're no good for detailed design purposes ie use of photoshop

But i'm a fan.

cejay
21st November 2008, 08:38 PM
I've used them on my 2207 HP display for 1.5yrs as well as my Pavillion laptop so I wasn't concerned at all with my new MB.

I am not a professional and don't have fluoros at home, but it works well for me.

Kuma
21st November 2008, 08:43 PM

I found that a simple tilt of the screen and voosh.. problem gone....

Galumay
21st November 2008, 09:16 PM
They're no good for detailed design purposes ie use of photoshop

But i'm a fan.

mmm...in context though, they are no worse than the equivalent matte screens for detailed design purposes and certainly use of photoshop is not compromised.

of course if you are talking about colour accuracy then you are not going to be using a laptop screen anyway so its a moot point.

tkilik11
21st November 2008, 09:31 PM
i like although on my alu imac i find it hard to play games in the light
but i rather gloss than non glossy

Rant
21st November 2008, 09:37 PM
+1 Glossy

keep putting the word out - eventually it won't be an "issue" - until then, just keep telling people that once you actually get one, you'll never go back

same for glossy LCD televisions - there are some beautiful glossy televisions coming along now

all it takes is a nice sheet of glass in front and a bright (preferably LED light) behind

welcome to the dark side, Anakin

rjch
21st November 2008, 09:41 PM
I've used it in a fluro office, and outside. No problem, and much better.

Nonetheless there is a massive audience, perhaps 99%, for whom either the glossy screens or the no firewire is the "deal breaker", and the new machine is massively overpriced. Oh well, I wasted my money. I will just have to grin and bare it.

Colour accuracy is so vitally important. If only I could get my digital cameras to actually register what I see. Sometimes I suspect that it is my eyes that are the problem. Actually, what are the megapixels and appatures of your average eye?

Rant
21st November 2008, 10:03 PM
I've used it in a fluro office, and outside. No problem, and much better.

Nonetheless there is a massive audience, perhaps 99%, for whom either the glossy screens or the no firewire is the "deal breaker", and the new machine is massively overpriced. Oh well, I wasted my money. I will just have to grin and bare it.

You've hit on a good point. The firewire IS a deal breaker and for normal use, 20% won't make much difference to the speed. There isn't any need to buy the new machines. But alas, they are selling better than ever (which was pretty good before). Hopefully it's just everyone who was holding out for new models and sanity will return.

Quad cores next year. Wait until then if we can ?? Give me a monobloc and a Display Port then...

Designers and photographers either need to realise most of their work will 'final' on a screen these days...

or print on glossy paper :D

rjch
21st November 2008, 10:30 PM
It seems there is just an insatiable desire for macs these day. E.g. this from Forbes:

"Apple owned 9.5% of the U.S. PC market during the third quarter, according to tech tracker Gartner. Look at where beleaguered consumers are putting their dollars, however, and Apple's performance is even more impressive: The company grabbed 20.1% of the U.S. retail market in October, according to NPD Group. And Apple is on track to sell between 2.4 million and 2.7 million Macs for the quarter ending in December, up 13% from the year-ago period, according to Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster," Caulfield reports."

20%!!!. Imagine the cash that Apple must be gulping down.

And my guess would be that the hefty majority of this would be macbook. I guess these figures do not account for the new model. The net reviews of the new machines are positive, but generally rate the new less than the old precisely because of price and no firewire, but not the new screens. The macbook is an expensive laptop, but close in the price range of comparable winbooks. The reviews all assess the the "sturdy build quality" (including pat phrases like "hewed from a solid block of aluminium") as a plus. It will be interesting to see if average consumers will be willing to continue to splash cash on an expensive, but desirable laptop. It maybe of course that a macbook is more a luxury / Veblan commodity, rather than an ordinary consumer commodity.

Joe91
21st November 2008, 11:26 PM
I don't really mind either way. This is my first glossy screen and I'm liking it, but it wouldn't be something I'd look for/avoid in buying another product.

It does look mighty pretty though!

MacTime
21st November 2008, 11:45 PM
I love glossy on my new MBP. I work in a fluro filled office and outdoors lots no worries.

EdgeOfQuarrel
25th November 2008, 12:08 AM
I wasn't sure how I'd feel about a glossy screen but after using it for a week all I can say is some deeper black would be nice other than that i'm not noticing the fact it's glossy all that much compared to the old MBP that was matte.

as for the deal breaker I'd have to say price.... and i'm not exactly too thrilled about the new designs either.

the only time i use firewire is when I get a new machine and migrate stuff over.Last time I spent a good hour looking for the damn firewire cable to do it to.

vietnow
25th November 2008, 06:44 AM
i find the glossy to be a whole bunch brighter than my old 12" powerbook, on the flipside its also a whole lot more accurate and readable when dim also.

i'm chalking it up to newer and better tech but new screen is great.

scar68
25th November 2008, 07:09 AM
Was not looking forward to the glossy screen with the new MBP. Have to say though am a total convert. I don't do any high end graphics, but do use it in many challenging lx situations. No problems with reflections and the richness of the images is very impressive.

I use photos for the screen saver and have had so many positive comments from people on the quality of the display.

Choice is always a good thing but this is one case of I am glad I was forced into a particular one.

:thumbup::thumbup:

The Fluffy Duck
25th November 2008, 07:23 AM
i love glossy and i work in an office as well. glossy ftw

poisontofu
25th November 2008, 08:46 AM
CRT's were always glossy, and no-one complained.

I like my glossy MBP, but I've been working on a largely black publication at work, and seeing my face reflected in everything did start to bug me after a while.

Other than that, no complaints!

MissionMan
25th November 2008, 09:13 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, before people start bitching about the glossy's, have a look at the new MBP glossy when its on, its not like the normal glossy screens. I'm not a fan of glossy, but this I can happily live with. I compared my MBP to a $2000 dell with a glossy and the screen are incomparable. The MBP gets almost no reflection whilst the Dell looks like you're staring into a friggen mirror. The guy at the office here is already getting pricing to replace his Dell with a MBP.

DaveOZ
25th November 2008, 09:25 AM
Also worth noting that with the new glossy screens you need to look through the reflection. Hard to explain but you can actually focus on the reflections but if you focus on what's on the screen they tend to go away. Also helps if you tilt the screen a tad either way to minimize them. Yes, I love then new screen.

iCameron
25th November 2008, 09:52 AM
My MBP has a matte screen and i wouldn't have it any other way.

I did not trust the opinions of others, So i grabbed a coffee, grabbed my friends laptop (which is glossy) and sat in my favorite spot.

All i saw was myself, Sure i could move, but isnt a laptop supposed to accommodate to MY needs! rather i have to accommodate to it. Thankfully i dont care about colour accuracy because when your working with AutoCAD it's eaither.... black, blue, white, yellow... That's not even a rainbow.

On the new MB/MBP is that GLASS on the screen? I was holding one the other day and they seemed heavy!

Julee
29th November 2008, 02:19 AM
what is this screen?

Madeezy
30th November 2008, 07:49 PM
what is this screen?

Its that glossy thing...you can find it under the battery lid if you tilt the mac around a little. Easy to see once its open and your looking in a well darkened room.

I love looking at the glossy as well...no probs with reflections I kinda see through them into the screen screen image.

NORMANDY
16th July 2009, 08:11 AM
alls I can say bring it on, GLOSSY SUCKS!

Apple considering matte option on more Macs? (http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/15/apple-considering-matte-option-on-more-macs/)

MissionMan
16th July 2009, 10:28 AM
Glossy only sucks if you're ugly. I'm good looking so I like my reflection in my screen. It gives me time to mull over the fact that I'm just ridiculously good looking.

rodeodee
16th July 2009, 12:09 PM
I am personally finding the reflections annoying. My Cinema display is matte and the powerbook was matte, so the glossy is the odd one out. The display is great, but they could have provided a matte option. I have reflections occasionally obscuring text or graphics depending on where I am sitting.

black painter
16th July 2009, 08:48 PM
gloss is nice I just need a tablet for work watching movies. The iphone is just a bit too small for that.