PDA

View Full Version : Creative Uses For Macs

OziMac
8th May 2005, 11:07 PM
I think it's fantastic that there's a forum here to promote discussion of topics realting to professional / amateur creative uses for Macs.

I've noticed that the topics here have so far dealt with very specific software-ish or creative-type troubleshooting - which is terrific, but I've not found much dealing with the very subject matter of the forum itself.

So, in this thread, let's hear from those who use their Macs for creativity purposes (or in creative ways) - how do you use your Mac to further your creativity? How does the Mac assist you to achieve that creativity?

Personally, the whole reason I switched to Apple was for creative use. Primarily, as I love filmmaking, I'd been wanting to get into non-linear video editing forever - I'd been editing in camera and on VCRs as a kid but every time I got a computer, I'd been held back just that little bit from having the reigns of technical limitations loosened. I nearly bought a Sony VAIO for my last PC notebook solely for the one shitty little 4-pin Firewire (or 'iLink' as Sony liked to call it then) input. In the end I didn't do that, and probably for the better - I might have given up hope that NLE was possible without spending a fortune. Once I got my first iBook years later I discovered that PCs and Macs were able to provide equal 'Office'-type functionality, but Macs were far superior and easier (for me) to use when it came to use for creative purposes. iMovie in itself was good enough, but Final Cut Express (which I got as soon as it came out since I couldn't afford FCP) was a watershed for me. Powerful NLE at a very reasonable price. I've not looked back since.

In addition, I'd never gotten around to using my computers for music or photo storage (or really done much archiving at all) when I was primarily a PC user. Post-switch, I discovered how easy and satisfying it was to use various iLife apps (primarily iTunes and iPhoto) to upload, store and enjoy all of my photos and music.

I'm not much of a musician (just a very average guitarist) but Garage Band got me right back into messing around with music and I've even managed to learn some basic keyboard skills thanks to a the internet and my trusty Keystation 49e.

Anyway, that's a snapshot of my experience with creativity on the Mac - how about you all? :)

iSlayer
8th May 2005, 11:22 PM
I use my G5 for Web Development,HDTV recording and editing,Widget Design.
I used to be a pc user but i got sick of viruses and crashes so i swicthed to macs a few years ago and i havent looked back

OziMac
8th May 2005, 11:29 PM
iSlayer, can you tell those of us behind the eight-ball a little about what you need and how to go about doing HDTV recording on Macs?

Is it simply a matter of purchasing EyeTV or something similar and recording stuff to your hard drive? Do you need anything extra specifically for HD? And does QT7 help in any way? :)

iluvmymactoo
9th May 2005, 12:02 AM
I use my Mac for digital drawing and painting using Corel Painter IX and a Wacom Intuos 3 tablet.

I also use Adobe CS (soon to get CS2 :D ) mainly for PS and Illustrator, but I'm now learning web design so will be using GL as well.

Having come from a musical background I discovered GarageBand as a handy app for creating some interesting tunes which I may or may not use on my web sites when they happen.

konni
9th May 2005, 02:19 AM
My Mac is the logical creative extension to my head and hands. I use it for just about everything - 2d-3d graphics, film and music, writing, productivity, fun. I know a little javascript (web dev) but would like to have real programming skills. Time, money and brain capacity are my limitations. If I could I would be developing a 3D hardware/software interface for 3D modelling. Something that was a physical or tactile leap forward from the current keyboard, mouse and box on a desk package.

Someone's gonna do this one day. Not me - but who's to say our imaginations won't be a catalyst for future inventors.

PyroVesten
9th May 2005, 03:45 PM
Mostly it's for course-related work, a bit of play and a few odd jobs.

OziMac
9th May 2005, 03:47 PM
What sort of a course are you doing Pyro? Music-related (based on your sig)?

iSlayer
9th May 2005, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by OziMac@May 9 2005, 12:29 AM
iSlayer, can you tell those of us behind the eight-ball a little about what you need and how to go about doing HDTV recording on Macs?

Is it simply a matter of purchasing EyeTV or something similar and recording stuff to your hard drive? Do you need anything extra specifically for HD? And does QT7 help in any way? :)
i have an eyetv 410.
i havent done any editing with it but when i had an eyetv 200 i used to export the video to FCP or DVDSP.
i bought quicktime 7 pro the other day so i canuse h.264 to compress the recordings