PDA

View Full Version : Processor Questions

fallerg
8th May 2005, 09:50 PM
I am thinking of getting a powerbook next year (getting my dad to sallary sacrifice it :rolleyes: shhhh... if only u could salary sacrifice a iMac.)

Anyway, will the G5 eventually be put into a powerbook or do they chew up too much power and generate too much heat?

Secondly, i know the G5 is a completely new processor to the G4, but how much of a speed increase would a (just for this) 1.6ghz G5 have on a G4?

Lastely will dual cores 970MP (do u think/know) be put into a iMac or a Powerbook?

Thanks for the help... probably obvious questions :S

snax
8th May 2005, 09:58 PM
You've stumbled across the G5 Powerbook issue.... It discussed here (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=3678).

As for the iMac going dual core... That's just not gonna happen for a long time, if ever.

Don't worry about G4 vs G5 debate, the G4 is still a capable chip and is actually faster than the G5 at the same clock speed during some instructions.

fallerg
8th May 2005, 10:06 PM
ahh k... thanks for the help. You never know, by the time i get the funds, the pHatbook will probably be out. I like the look of the hover book!

http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?a...e=post&id=30760 (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=30760)

Phillip
8th May 2005, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by fallerg@May 8 2005, 09:50 PM
Anyway, will the G5 eventually be put into a powerbook or do they chew up too much power and generate too much heat?

Secondly, i know the G5 is a completely new processor to the G4, but how much of a speed increase would a (just for this) 1.6ghz G5 have on a G4?

Lastely will dual cores 970MP (do u think/know) be put into a iMac or a Powerbook?

Thanks for the help... probably obvious questions :S
If you are getting one next year, I would expect a G5 PowerBook by then. However, keep in mind, that a G5 Powerbook is currently the world's most awaited computer. Ever since the PowerMacs have been released in 2003, everyone has been talking up of a PowerBook G5. If Apple is having trouble delivering a few Mac minis, then they are going to have a huge problem with a PowerBook G5.

In terms of the same clock speed of the G5 compared to the G4, barely any, in single processors. Our course, we haven't been able to fully test this, cause the G5's clock speed is much much faster than the G4's. However, comparing a PowerBook 1.5 Ghz and an iMac G5 1.8 Ghz, the iMac is slightly faster. In alot of areas (such as just surfing the web, email, iLife) the G5 is pretty much a marketing term.

However in more processor demanding apps, the G5 kicks the G4's butt. Because of it's architecture, the G5 does very well handling large amounts of memory, and it works especially well when there are two processors together. Motion (www.apple.com/motion), with a decent graphics card, is where the G5 really shines with its wide system bus. However, in a Powerbook, one would expect Apple to lower the FSB considerably, because it would reduce heat and power consumption. (eg. the iMac FSB is 600 Mhz, for the 1.8 Ghz, while the single 1.8 Ghz PowerMac is 900 MHZ).