PDA

View Full Version : Heads up - iWork 08

craigc
19th November 2008, 12:03 AM
A warning to new MacBook owners.

If you download the trial version of iWork 08, and try to view the tour before downloading updates, your system will crash, and the only way to restart will be to press the power button.

I wasted lots of time on this before I stumbled upon a post on another forum where other people had experienced the same issue.

I have to say that this doesn't inspire confidence in relation to iWork. I thought that these where the types of issues I would avoid when I switched to Mac.

givememac
19th November 2008, 01:16 AM
damn that sucks i just downloaded the trial, have u updated it? (the update is new i think)

edit: just read "before updates", well at least they have provided an update!
edit 2: damn it. just tried to watch the trial (after updating) and my macbook crashed :(

craigc
19th November 2008, 07:28 AM
I recall that after the first round of updates, there was another update which was downloaded.

I would check for updates again.

Here is the link to the thread I referred to in the original post, which contains more info.

Apple - Support - Discussions - Trial copy of iwork crashes ... (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1484288)

fiark
19th November 2008, 08:02 AM
I love iWork '08.

It is a memory hog, but if you are coming from windows you probably won't notice it.

craigc
19th November 2008, 08:13 AM
I love iWork '08.

It is a memory hog, but if you are coming from windows you probably won't notice it.

I am happy to try anything that avoids me having to go through the hassle of having to install Windows on my Mac to run my version of Office 2007, or having to spend a fortune on buying Office 2008 (for Mac).

However, I am going to compare it to OpenOffice.

I will be particularly interested in compatibility with editing existing Microsoft Office files.

razza85
19th November 2008, 12:46 PM
A warning to new MacBook owners.

If you download the trial version of iWork 08, and try to view the tour before downloading updates, your system will crash, and the only way to restart will be to press the power button.

I wasted lots of time on this before I stumbled upon a post on another forum where other people had experienced the same issue.

I have to say that this doesn't inspire confidence in relation to iWork. I thought that these where the types of issues I would avoid when I switched to Mac.
Yeah, I had the exact same problem back in July/August on my iMac.

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/16/57126-urgent-help-required-dont-know-what-do-please-help.html

craigc
19th November 2008, 03:38 PM
I don't mean to be a whinger, but I can't believe that Apple doesn't do something about this.

It must be an easy fix, and I am sure it is creating lots of mayhem with recent switchers.

It just doesn't inspire confidence.