PDA

View Full Version : Setting mac tasks?

Bojangles
18th November 2008, 09:18 PM
Hey all... Now this most defintely will sound like a very stupid question, but its worth a shot...

Is there a way that i can program my Mac to power itself on, or wake itself up and run a specific program between certain times?

Basically i want to take advantage of my Offpeak download times but i'm never awake between 1am and 7am so i thought i could task the mac to run Bittorrent automatically between those times..

Is there a way i can do that?

Cheers, and many thanks in return!

dev_enter
18th November 2008, 09:31 PM
System Preferences - Energy Saver - Schedule... for waking up.

You could set the machine to automatically log in and add your bit torrent client to your login items. Any half decent Bit Torrent client would support scheduling as well so you could get it to start downloading at 1am and throttle at 7am.

Bojangles
18th November 2008, 09:39 PM
Hey Baha thanks for that... So i've geared it to wake up and shut down, but how do i add to the login items? i didnt see that option in the Energy Saver...

Just found it in Accounts... Thanks!

SyncMan
19th November 2008, 05:23 AM
Script Timer 2.6 software download - Mac OS X - VersionTracker (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/11290)

pengu
19th November 2008, 08:55 AM
Transmission allows you to set times for it to enter "Speed Limit" mode. just set the limits to 0 and 0 for this period. or you could leave your torrent client open all the time, and just schedule wakeup and sleep for the machine, just make sure the torrent client (Transmission has this) isn't set to "prevent sleep".