PDA

View Full Version : Help: MBP lost sound in one channel

step_andy
18th November 2008, 08:23 PM
After two days without power in sunny Queensland, the power is back, but my MBP has lost volume in one channel when I plug in my external speakers.
I checked the balance setting in Sound pref pane, and it is OK. When I unplug the speakers, the sound out of internal ones is OK, but when I plug the speaker in, one channel is very very quiet.

I thought, maybe speakers have been fried, but no. Plugged into iPod and the sound OK.

Is there a setting that has gone high wire?

matthew858
18th November 2008, 08:43 PM
A power surge could have caused havoc with the speakers. Unfortunately, power surges aren't covered under warranty, although you might be able to get something out of the shop you bought it from if you read up about implied warranties.

step_andy
18th November 2008, 08:59 PM
A power surge could have caused havoc with the speakers. Unfortunately, power surges aren't covered under warranty, although you might be able to get something out of the shop you bought it from if you read up about implied warranties.

Not sure about the surge ... it is a lappy. It has a battery and all power input goes via charger and via battery. PS, it was in sleep mode during the storm.

step_andy
25th November 2008, 07:10 PM
I believe that I am closer solving the problem.
I took the MBO today to the Authorized dealer and surprise, surprise, sound was normal.

When I got home, I plugged in all the bits, started up and sound was OK. After one song, the problem returned.

So, my guess, the problem is heat related. Once the MBP cools down, the problem goes away, but once it warms up to 50 ish, I am guessing, that there is micro crack somewhere and bits expand, and a connection within a sound card is lost.

Back to the dealer ...

fompsweeva
25th November 2008, 08:20 PM
Could it be dust? Have you tried changing the cable between computer and speakers?

step_andy
25th November 2008, 11:11 PM
Could it be dust? Have you tried changing the cable between computer and speakers?

Plugged a set of earphones (which has a different cable) and the same problem

krunkj3
28th November 2008, 08:50 PM
try an smc and pram reset

step_andy
1st December 2008, 10:19 PM
Back to the dealer ...

Today I had some spare time and re visited the service center. MBP was diagnosed with faulty sound card. Part has been ordered and should arrive tomorrow.

step_andy
4th December 2008, 12:57 PM
Part has been ordered and should arrive tomorrow.

Nothing is ever simple. As of today, the MBP still has not been fixed. It turns out that part in question is a motherboard and Apple don't have them in stock :eek:
WTF!
This just in time parts inventory does not sound good from consumer point of view. Every day the service centre informs me that part should arrive tomorrow. Tomorrow has not come yet.
:rolleyes:

step_andy
8th December 2008, 10:51 AM
On Friday I decided to investigate the matter a bit further. I rang Apple and asked if indeed they didn't have the parts in stock. It turns out they don't.

They will be placing an order today from Singapore.

Why does it take a phone call from an end user for a company like Apple to get their act together and to "order" a part for claim placed by a premium authorised dealer?

How long do I have to wait for a part before I request a replacement computer?

step_andy
12th December 2008, 02:26 PM
How long do I have to wait for a part before I request a replacement computer?

An update ...
A part still has not arrived and ETA was showing as 19/12/08

After some further discussion with Apple customer service, they agreed to resolve the issue.
:thumbup:

Lockley
12th December 2008, 02:55 PM
thats good:)