PDA

View Full Version : Prepaid SIM with data in USA

battye
18th November 2008, 04:52 PM
Does anyone know who the best provider to go with for prepaid data in the USA is? I have searched AT&T and T-Mobile's websites but I can't find any mention of decent data (AT&T say 1MB... bloody hell, they're worse than Telstra).

I was hoping someone here knows more? Thanks :)

Exocet
18th November 2008, 04:55 PM
Questions would probably be directed better at an american-based forum.

battye
18th November 2008, 05:12 PM
Questions would probably be directed better at an american-based forum.

Already tried it, nobody knew. I was hoping someone here had tried it in the US on an iPhone.

It has to be possible surely, it's the USA we're talking about not some deserted island :p

remigi
18th November 2008, 10:47 PM
mmm im going to the states in feb and need the same... my brother is at cornell i can ask him tomorrow morning if you like... hes over there for 6mths and i think he got prepaid with data because he has an iPhone too... let you know;)

battye
18th November 2008, 10:56 PM
Thanks, that would be great :)

jusrus
19th November 2008, 01:39 AM
This has been covered a few times before.

AT&T have a $25 prepaid plan that you can then purchase $20 unlimited data for.

So $45 (plus tax) will do you for a month. I'm using it RIGHT NOW. They also gave me an extra $10 credit, so it should last the whole trip.

And travel and the iPhone are GREAT together. Used almost once an hour.

battye
19th November 2008, 02:40 AM
This has been covered a few times before.

AT&T have a $25 prepaid plan that you can then purchase $20 unlimited data for.

So $45 (plus tax) will do you for a month. I'm using it RIGHT NOW. They also gave me an extra $10 credit, so it should last the whole trip.

And travel and the iPhone are GREAT together. Used almost once an hour.

They scrapped the $20 unlimited unfortunately. Said it was being abused by people tethering. :(
You are lucky, you must have got in before Nov 11 or whenever they cut it off.

remigi
20th November 2008, 11:09 AM
spoke to my step brother just then. He took out a one year contract with AT&T when he was over there because pre-paid data was really bad. He said it took him ages to get the contract though because the AT&T ppl didnt understand how his iphone was unlocked because you cant do that other there. So yea he went on a one year contract while studying at Cornell and got really good data with it too

drewbles
20th November 2008, 11:22 AM
International Cell Phones, World Phones, SIM Cards, Satellite Phones (http://www.telestial.com) does all kinds of stuff like that. check them out.

battye
20th November 2008, 11:32 AM
International Cell Phones, World Phones, SIM Cards, Satellite Phones (http://www.telestial.com) does all kinds of stuff like that. check them out.

$15/MB in the USA :(

jusrus
20th November 2008, 02:59 PM
They scrapped the $20 unlimited unfortunately. Said it was being abused by people tethering. :(
You are lucky, you must have got in before Nov 11 or whenever they cut it off.

That's interesting - can you link me to something stating that?

We've been here since Nov 6 and did it the day we landed. Still working fine though. Wonder if it will last the trip - we'd be DYING without it!

mvjs
20th November 2008, 03:19 PM
That's interesting - can you link me to something stating that?

We've been here since Nov 6 and did it the day we landed. Still working fine though. Wonder if it will last the trip - we'd be DYING without it!

No More ATT Prepaid Unlimited GoPhone Data from November 12th | HotCellularPhone.com (http://hotcellularphone.com/att/no-more-att-prepaid-unlimited-gophone-data-from-november-12th/)

jusrus
20th November 2008, 03:30 PM
Wow - we were lucky - AT&T dude in San Fran signed us up on Nov 6, and didnt mention the plan was ending. Looks like we'll have to suck it for the last couple of weeks of our trip. Dang.

jusrus
5th December 2008, 08:00 AM
AT&T have not announced any new plans as yet from what I can see - looks like our last 2 weeks of USA will be spent getting lost....BOO!

remigi
7th February 2009, 03:09 PM
Well im in the USA at the moment and i got a t-mobile sim with unlimited data and 300 minutes. The 300 mins cost me $29.99 with unlimited calls all weekend (so 300 mins only count during the week) and then $9.99 for unlimited data for 1 month. This has been great, ive used the GPS all this week and used it for public transport, it tells you when the next subway or cable car or bus will arrive (how many minutes)! its so awesome...

I have also subscribed to Skype Unlimited Country ($15) for one month, this gives you 3 skype in numbers (so i can have one in Aus and one in Europe where my fam is) it gives you unlimited calls to any landline worldwide and the best feature..... a thing called "SkypeToGo" this is basically a local USA number (which i have set up here in SF) and you call this number from your mobile or local phone (during the week using my 300 mins and on the weekend costing nothing because of the unlimited feature). Once the call is connected you get a skype menu that prompts you to dial the international number you wish to call. So i enter a local Adelaide Landline and it connects straight away! Perfect quality! and because i have unlimited country it costs NOTHING for the international call.

Perks... During the week i only use the minutes to make the call and on the WEEKEND its Completely free because of the Unlimited Weekend Deal on the phone plan! and because the skype deal allows unlimited calls to landlines i pay NOTHING... NOTHING at all!

Great system :)
Anyone need more info please PM me

battye
7th February 2009, 06:36 PM
Is that prepaid, or do you have to sign a contract?

mvjs
7th February 2009, 06:44 PM
Is that prepaid, or do you have to sign a contract?

Pre-paid. Although, it is EDGE as the iPhone does not support T-Mobile's data frequencies. I used this plan while I was in the States, having Google Maps was a godsend. Highly worth the investment.

matthew858
7th February 2009, 07:13 PM
Is that plan prepaid with T-Mobile?

Edit: Whoops, didn't see the 2nd page.

remigi
8th February 2009, 11:46 AM
Here is a PM i sent to someone else that was interested, it only runs on their edge network but it runs fine! The best thing i have ever had is the San Francisco (where i am at the moment) public transport... today i was outside the hotel and was like i need to get to Pier 33 (alcatraz) and the phone told me walk up the street 200m then get on Bus 44 arriving in 4 minutes (check later times)... was amazing... then a min later it goes Bus arriving in 3 mins.. was so awesome!

Hey Mate,

It wasnt prepaid as such its called a FlexPay Plan. Basically its not a contract (i didnt need to sign anything) but its a month by month plan sort of thing from what i gathered. And so if you dont recharge every month or once you run out of minutes nothing happens and after 6 months it expires.

This is it here, but NOT the "myFavs" plan scroll down to the "individual plans" and i got the first one "Individual Basic $29.99"

Unsupported Browser (http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/Cell-Phone-Plans.aspx?catgroup=Indvidual-cell-phone-plan&WT.mc_n=Individual_PlanFirstTile1&WT.mc_t=OnsiteAd#Individual+with+FlexPay)

Then to get data i got this service here (its basically a package you add onto your phone and purchase at the same time) its called a Smartphone Data Plan with the following title. It was $19.99 up to the 1st of feb and just gone up to $24.99 but for unlimited this is very good!

"T-Mobile Smartphone Unlimited Web + 400 Messages $24.99/month*"

Get unlimited Web access, bundled with any 400 domestic messages.

Unsupported Browser (http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/addons/services/information.aspx?PAsset=InternetEmail&tp=Svc_Tab_Smartphones)

But NOTE!!! this is EDGE, there are no 3G options; however, this hasnt really worried me, its fine for the GPS and web browsing.. just takes a bit longer to load.

once you have those two things it works great!

Thanks

Remi

af3556
9th April 2009, 12:32 PM
I'm currently in California for the next six weeks. All I have to say is: if you've moaned about the value of any Aussie 3G provider, you should thank your lucky stars you're not in the US. Every prepaid voice+data option is stupidly expensive. Best I could find is AT&T "GoPhone (http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-plans/pyg-cell-phone-plans.jsp?wtSlotClick=1-001SJX-0-1&WT.svl=calltoaction)" prepaid, at $US 25 for the SIM, $15/30 days of voice calls (0.10/minute), and paying an extra $20 for 100 MB data/month = $A85 first month and $A50/month thereafter). Excess data is $1c/kB ($A14.1/MB / $A14,120/GB)!

Postpaid is much cheaper, but not an option for non-resident visits.

Anyway, the positive is that the area where I am staying has excellent WIFI coverage, and I'm almost decided that I'll just leech off that. Skype works a treat :-)

Ben

battye
11th April 2009, 06:35 PM
I'm currently in California for the next six weeks. All I have to say is: if you've moaned about the value of any Aussie 3G provider, you should thank you're lucky stars you're not in the US.

Well put. When I got back I even wrote an article about how difficult it was: CricketMX.com • Using an iPhone in America is not easy (http://www.cricketmx.com/articles/read/using-an-iphone-in-america-is-not-easy/)

As you said though, luckily wi-fi is quite popular. Around New York there was generally unsecured wi-fi everywhere which was useful for a quick look at Google Maps or something like that.

Lumus
11th April 2009, 07:51 PM
Excess data is $1c/kB ($A1.41/MB / $A1412/GB)!

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't 1c/KB work out to be US$10.24/MB ($A14.10/MB). Making 1GB $A14438?

Doesn't make it any better, but it would save people spending MUCHO MOOLAH!

Renoman
5th July 2010, 10:02 PM
I'm off to New York again! Woot! And - and a freaking huuuuge and it is - to Florida to warch STS-133! Double wooot! :)

Anyways... Here we are again thinking iphone data plans and the USA. I still cant make much sense of what I'm finding on the net or on here, especially if anything much has changed from a year ago...

Taking our wifi iPad with us as well, so might have to finally consider a jb so I can tether to it if I can get data sorted!

DJY
5th July 2010, 10:20 PM
I'm off to New York again! Woot! And - and a freaking huuuuge and it is - to Florida to warch STS-133! Double wooot! :)

Enjoy!
I saw the last launch in May!
Was amazing!

Do you have NASA tickets? They sell out months in advance...
tip for me - is even if you are in Orlando - it will take FOREVER to get over to the coast to see the actual launch. EVERYONE goes!
And with it being the last time each shuttle launches anyone who has ever worked on it goes to watch as well.

We drove over to Cocoa Beach (got the last rental car in Orlando) - got off the 528 though - as it was almost like a carpark. Used the 520 to head to Cocoa Beach.

Was great! So very bright and so very loud!!!!

battye
6th July 2010, 02:55 PM

Anyways... Here we are again thinking iphone data plans and the USA. I still cant make much sense of what I'm finding on the net or on here, especially if anything much has changed from a year ago...

Taking our wifi iPad with us as well, so might have to finally consider a jb so I can tether to it if I can get data sorted!

Be sure to let us know if you are able to get prepaid data from AT&T or T-Mobile, etc. :)

fompsweeva
6th July 2010, 03:53 PM
My blog:

HOW TO: A guide for Australians using their iPhone 3G’s data services on AT&T in the USA. — perfectdarkmike (http://blog.perfectdarkmike.com/?p=6)

toholio
6th July 2010, 04:17 PM
My blog:

HOW TO: A guide for Australians using their iPhone 3Gs data services on AT&T in the USA. perfectdarkmike (http://blog.perfectdarkmike.com/?p=6)

Thank you good sir.

Renoman
6th July 2010, 09:49 PM
Cheers - Ill give it a go. I never did get the iphone working last time i was there... The US mobile phone system is bloody awful and drove me stark raving bonkers!! Wasn't help by Virgin not properly unlocking it mind you! But if it doesn't work, I wont sweat it and waste good holiday time trying to fix it!

But we need a phone each to find each other when wandering solo, so Im still taking my very old clunker Nokia with me as a backup! And use it (and its IMEI) to activate the SIM card.

No tickets for the launch are available yet. Going to try and get them through a tour operator I think - I have no desire to get lost or stuck in traffic and miss the whole shebang! For a few extra bucks, its worth it. Always assuming I can get tickets to the causeway - they sell out in an hour at most... Otherwise its the beach ;)