PDA

View Full Version : Telstra, Next G, and a new Toshiba laptop with inbuilt 3G, a lesson in Frustration

NORMANDY
18th November 2008, 02:19 PM
a Friend of mine, who just bought a PC with an inbuilt 3G modem (couldnt convice him to buy a mac, as all their software is PC ONLY) he lives in Central Queensland, and just tried to get on wireless broadband, and was told he would need a wireless USB dongle, as his inbuilt 3G modem is useless outside Metro areas, and in his area he needs to be on NEXT G.

He needs to be able access the net, in all sorts of rual parts of Australia, and Telstra said Next G is the only system that will give him that, as 3G is only city areas.

My question is, whats the difference between Next G and 3G? Is what Telstra is telling him rubbish? or fair dinkum?

mitty
18th November 2008, 02:27 PM
3g=2100mhz Nextg=850mhz. It depends exactly what the specs of his built in 3g modem are. He could easily test it, just slip any NextG data capable SIM inside and see how he goes.

toholio
18th November 2008, 02:34 PM
My question is, whats the difference between Next G and 3G? Is what Telstra is telling him rubbish? or fair dinkum?

Telstra are full of it. NextG is 3G is NextG is 3G. They're the same thing. The marketing and sales dolts will tell you otherwise but it isn't true.

What is different though is that Telstra's 3G network runs on a different frequency to what's used by the other telcos in metro areas. The Telstra's 3G network uses 850MHz everywhere while the others use a combination of 2100MHz/1900MHz and 900MHz.

If your friend has a 3G card that does 850MHz HSPDA then it will work. Telstra might not allow you to connect it to their network though. They really want people to use the same hardware but with a NextG sticker.

What brand is the laptop/card?

NORMANDY
18th November 2008, 02:43 PM
Telstra are full of it. NextG is 3G is NextG is 3G. They're the same thing. The marketing and sales dolts will tell you otherwise but it isn't true.

What is different though is that Telstra's 3G network runs on a different frequency to what's used by the other telcos in metro areas. The 'NextG' network uses 850MHz everywhere while the others use a combination of 2100MHz/1900MHz and 900MHz.

If your friend has a 3G card that does 850MHz HSPDA then it will work. Telstra might not allow you to connect it to their network though. They really want people to use the same hardware but with a NextG sticker.

What brand is the laptop/card?

its one of these The new Toshiba range with built-in 3G (http://www.toshibanotebook.com.au/r500/index.html)

it has a NEXT G logo on it and everything, he took it down and Teltra said, no no this wont work on Next G... but it has a next G logo... oh no you will need a USB dongle modem... here 149 bucks.....
he said I dont think so... I am going to talk to my expert (meaning me).....

so this compuetr is fine to go on Next G? and if so what do I do to get it on Telstra?

bennyling
18th November 2008, 02:43 PM
just tried to get on wireless broadband, and was told he would need a wireless USB dongle, as his inbuilt 3G modem is useless outside Metro areas

That's only half-true. He DOES NOT need a wireless USB dongle for where he is if he's already got an inbuilt 3G modem - he just needs to find a carrier with coverage outside of Metro areas....

He needs to be able access the net, in all sorts of rural parts of Australia, and Telstra said Next G is the only system that will give him that, as 3G is only city areas.

...hence Telstra. You pay for it, but damn, their coverage is second to none!

3G = NextG = 3G

Do we really need to get into the whole 2100mhz/850mhz penetration-vs-coverage argument again? :D

NORMANDY
18th November 2008, 02:50 PM
That's only half-true. He DOES NOT need a wireless USB dongle for where he is if he's already got an inbuilt 3G modem - he just needs to find a carrier with coverage outside of Metro areas....

...hence Telstra. You pay for it, but damn, their coverage is second to none!

3G = NextG = 3G

Do we really need to get into the whole 2100mhz/850mhz penetration-vs-coverage argument again? :D

ok no problem, I will past that on. Thanks :)

Sounds like Telstra were trying to sell him something he didnt need! Why am I not suprised!

Exocet
18th November 2008, 03:05 PM
The marketing and sales dolts will tell you different things because at the time of launch the vast majority of "3G-capable" phones did not work on the NextG network. The trademark has been used to convey almost a 'seal of approval' to state that the device is capable of running on NextG.

These days it is less of an issue with tri- and quad-band UMTS antennas but it was certainly a valid and necessary distinction to make at the time of launch. The distinction will remain valid until every new UMTS device supports 850MHz.

Soliah
18th November 2008, 09:56 PM
ok no problem, I will past that on. Thanks :)

Sounds like Telstra were trying to sell him something he didnt need! Why am I not suprised!

What he needs is a $0 Mobile Data Voice Plan with an optional Data Pack. This is a purely casual service billed on a monthly basis. He can then choose from a Data Pack as shown here: Telstra Business (http://www.telstrabusiness.com/business/portal/online/site/productsservices/mobilebroadbanddataplans.19507#Data%20Packs)

Your friend shouldn't even mention that he has an inbuilt card. I'd go so far as to just say (if they ask) that he was given a Next-G modem from a friend and that he just needs the sim card. That way it won't confuse the sales rep and he/she should be in and out quickly.

If the internal modem is branded as Next-G then it should function fine on the 850MHz frequency.

NORMANDY
29th November 2008, 01:41 PM
So I went personally with the guy who bought the laptop (as he is very technical illiterate) to the local Telstra shop today, showed them all this, with laptop in hand, showing them it was connecting to Next G, I just needed an account... and so what do I need to do now to get it on a Pre-pay account? I said, and they said... oh you need to buy this pre -pay dongle $150.00..... I said, no I don't, I have been over this 2 times with Telstra reps online, they said just come in and get a pre pay account going, you dont need to buy a dongle...so the Telstra shop get out so called "expert" he says no, you need to buy a dongle.....OMG I said , how many times do I need to go over this.... he butted in an said this computer cant connect!! I said clearly it can, (showing him the screen)...when you run the installer for Telstra Next G service it checks the signal strength, and that it works and tries to start a plan start up service... which I showed the Telstra shop employee, to which he completely ignored and kept saying it wont work... you need this dongle....

thus you can see my frustration, being told the Next G card wont work, when it was working and showing signal strength, and going onto the net, with the default Telstra sign up page.. and having all the Telstra employees saying this wont work you need to buy this dongle..... AAARGGHH!

Its working right now, I said, I just need a pre-paid account.... no he said it wont work, OMG again... can I talk to some one else. so the manger comes over, we go through it all again.... in the end I start getting a bit upset, I ask that we talk to Telstra on the phone, .. so I get on the customer support people on the phone... after waiting 45 minutes on hold I have given up and hung up the phone.

Then the woman that first served me come back and said so you dont want this dongle now? I said no, I am not buying something my friend here has already paid 150 bucks for, thats what he was charged by Toshiba who installed this 3G sim from Telstra, why wold I buy something I dont need and already have, this is the same as a dongle, its inbuilt and installed by Telstra, see the logo on the backside of the computer??, its just your bureaucratic process wont or doesn't want to understand quite a simple procedure. She just looked dumb at me, and shook her head and said your computer just wont connect. it it needs a dongle...... I sighed, shook my head, walked out and gave up in disgust.

If anyone out there from Telstra is reading this, can you please educate yourself on what customers want, and some technical education would be good too, if a computer has 3G next G inbuilt, with Telstra logos all over it, it will mean that its compatible with your network, not what some script you learnt on a two day training course taught you!!! aaaarrrrrrgh:mad:

NORMANDY
29th November 2008, 01:51 PM
What he needs is a $0 Mobile Data Voice Plan with an optional Data Pack. This is a purely casual service billed on a monthly basis. He can then choose from a Data Pack as shown here: Telstra Business (http://www.telstrabusiness.com/business/portal/online/site/productsservices/mobilebroadbanddataplans.19507#Data%20Packs)

Your friend shouldn't even mention that he has an inbuilt card. I'd go so far as to just say (if they ask) that he was given a Next-G modem from a friend and that he just needs the sim card. That way it won't confuse the sales rep and he/she should be in and out quickly.

If the internal modem is branded as Next-G then it should function fine on the 850MHz frequency.

well he already has a Telstra sim in it... so he just needs an account, which they wouldn't do......

I cant seem to get through to the local Telstra shop, this is all he needs.... then again, I am in Central Queens land right now, with some very poorly trained local Telstra staff that are totally clueless about their own technology, when I even explained to their "expert" about the frequency spectrum etc of Next G, he suddenly looked blank at me.... and then stated that the computer only had wi fi in it... and it needed a dongle...... when I kept explaining it had Next G card and a Telstra sim in it... he just shook is head, and said it cant have that.... WTF? who trains these people? Monkeys??

NeoRicen
29th November 2008, 02:26 PM
Jeez, I wonder how many people are going around with Notebooks with inbuilt 3G but have dongles attached.

grfxninja
29th November 2008, 02:32 PM
sounds like it Normandy (monkeys)

Can't you just sign up for an account over the phone with Telstra?

napes
29th November 2008, 02:33 PM
That sucks mate - no excuses for it on their side.

I went with telstra for my mobile phone recently and have had a bunch of problems already - I don't want this to turn into a Telstra bashing thread, but it's seriously frustrating & it's a shame there isn't better competition.

Simply - I signed up for a 150mb data pack, then immediately checked via my mac (note, at this stage I hadn't even logged onto the web with my mobile) and it said I'd already used 30% of my 150mb budget!

Several calls later and they moved me up to a 300mb data pack for that month with assurances it would automatically revert to the 150mb the following month. Which it didn't. Several more phone calls and finally got it sorted, but not without the Customer Service lady on the other end of the phone telling me flat out I was wrong despite me going through step by step exactly what had happened and how the tech had dealt with it their side.

Aaanyway... it's saturday afternoon, sun is shining, I should quit bitching on the forums and mow the grass or something... ;)

NORMANDY
29th November 2008, 02:47 PM
sounds like it Normandy (monkeys)

Can't you just sign up for an account over the phone with Telstra?

not with out buying a dongle.. idiots..

needless to say, no dongle has been bought

NORMANDY
30th November 2008, 10:58 AM
I was contacted today (sunday??) by Telstra today, and was told that Telstra BIGPOND doesnt offer a pre paid servce but Telstra does. I asked what the difference was between the networks... the answer.. one offers pre pay one doesnt. I again asked whats the technical difference between telstra wirelss next g and birpond 3G... oh nothing, they are the same network, just from an adminstrative perspective they are handled by different departments, and they dont talk to each other...was the answer, but you cant have pre-paid without a dongle, due to policy.

Great policy huh???

Tell me how this makes any sense? I am so Glad I am not with Telstra... they are clearly the masters of lessons in frustration. Have a great sunday all:D

cjuiz
30th November 2008, 11:19 AM
Vodafone and Dell are about to launch their own laptop plans with built in 3G.

Vodafone offers $0 Dell laptop plans - Articles - Laptops - Digital Life (http://www.smh.com.au/news/digital-life/laptops/articles/vodafone-offers-0-dell-laptop-plans/2008/11/28/1227491791910.html)

NORMANDY
30th November 2008, 03:20 PM
oh thank goodness, i will look at them then, since telstra is being so stupid

ZacDavies
1st December 2008, 02:16 AM
Mate, that's disgusting - tell them their a bunch of fucking knobjockeys to their face and that you're not the average idiot who wonders what this interweb thing is.. sheesh.. prob worth a trip to a different telstra store

Heres an interesting related 3G laptop story I saw lately.. I wonder how many laptops have 3G that were not even aware of

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2008/11/mini100_3G.jpg

HP Mini 1000 Already Supports 3G? - Gizmodo Australia (http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/11/hp_mini_1000_already_supports_3g-2.html)

"Initially, HP indicated that a 3G WWAN-equipped version of their newest netbook, the HP Mini 1000, would be arriving sometime in December. But if we are to believe a forum poster on Pocketables.net, all it takes to get 3G humming on an HP Mini 1000 today is to download a driver and slide in your SIM card in a mysteriously hidden slot under the battery.

The poster is using model number #1033cl--our question is, does every Mini 1000 have said SIM card slot? Let us know in the comments, owners. The drivers are downloadable here from HP, and for more instructions, hit the forum thread: [Pocketables]"

NORMANDY
1st December 2008, 08:04 AM
Mate, that's disgusting - tell them their a bunch of fucking knobjockeys to their face and that you're not the average idiot who wonders what this interweb thing is.. sheesh.. prob worth a trip to a different telstra store
"

I would be the next one is over 200km away.... so its a bit difficult.

Anycase the solution is that we have looked at all the places this person traves to and stays at, and all the accodation seems to havew wi fi in the motels.. so he will use that instead of Telstras rip off scheme.

Wally
1st December 2008, 08:09 AM
Has he tried Optus??

A lot of areas now are on their 3G network, besides Im on 3G now in Yinnar.

Wally

NORMANDY
1st December 2008, 01:28 PM
Has he tried Optus??

A lot of areas now are on their 3G network, besides Im on 3G now in Yinnar.

Wally

I have on his behalf and it works fine.... he is just going to use free wi fi for now... and see how it goes...