PDA

View Full Version : mouse wont scroll up.

midget
17th November 2008, 06:00 PM
Have just bought an imac 24" Ive been using it for the past week and literally 5 min ago my scroll button on the mouse wont scroll up. down no problems but up is not working , in the preferences i have it as button 3 which i have havent changed since getting it. I dont know why it just stopped.
Anyone got any ideas.

Piratbyran
17th November 2008, 06:08 PM
If its a mighty mouse, there are countless articles on how to clean the scroll ball, though i don't see it getting that dirty so quickly.

Bethro
18th November 2008, 09:13 PM
I had my mighty mouse maybe 2 weeks before I also encountered this problem. All I did was hold down the scroll ball quite hard and blow into the hole, and it was fixed. It has stopped working again since then and I did the same thing, and it works again. This is obviously a fault, or rather not a fault but simply the nature of the product. I was surprised it happened so quickly though, but my house is quite dusty, we live on a dirt road so there is always dust floating around.

Taezar
24th November 2008, 08:52 PM
haha this just happened to mine - LOVE the search function.
I just tried the "blow" option to no avail but damn it was fun!!!
The apple site recommendation worked a charm but wasn't nearly as entertaining.

leon
24th November 2008, 08:58 PM
I just tried the "blow" option to no avail but damn it was fun!!!

Quote of the day - although it isn't inappropriate Wednesday yet.:D

Balthazar
24th November 2008, 09:02 PM
Grab it,

Stick it against your leg with the scroll nub touching (work best on jeans)

Rub the heck out of it.

Should fix it.

(Just realized whilst typing this there was no possible innuendo free way to describe this technique)

ba2991
24th November 2008, 09:06 PM
I am a light user of the computer and I am on my 3rd mouse since purchasing the computer Jan08 - same problem every time can't scroll downwards...

Balthazar
24th November 2008, 09:09 PM
Yes its true, the mighty mouse is the current worst apple product...my recomendation: Logitech MX Revolution

Logitech MX Revolution Cordless Laser Mouse - The Gadgeteer (http://the-gadgeteer.com/review/logitech_mx_revolution_cordless_laser_mouse/)

Ralph Nader
24th November 2008, 09:23 PM
The most popular fix is to turn the mouse upside down and rub the ball vigorously on a mouse pad or paper. I have found that this works most of the time. when it doesn't, or as an alternative, wet a microfibre cloth, wring out the excess water and rub the upside down mouse scroll ball on that. works a treat.

Balthazar
24th November 2008, 09:29 PM
The most popular fix is to turn the mouse upside down and rub the ball vigorously on a mouse pad or paper. I have found that this works most of the time. when it doesn't, or as an alternative, wet a microfibre cloth, wring out the excess water and rub the upside down mouse scroll ball on that. works a treat.

See my post above (i use jeans rather than paper)

vietnow
25th November 2008, 06:57 AM
my mighty mouse has pretty much stopped scrolling down, it works maybe 1/5000 times on occasion but i'm totally over it. i'm gonna get a wireless razor or something, the mighty mouse is without doubt the worst product on apple's current roster.

just google it, there is an instructable on pulling your mouse apart if you can be arsed and there is a WHOLE bunch of forum posts/articles on the interwebz about how the scroller doesn't work or suddenly stopped working. oh and from what i can tell... apple's care factor ratio is at about 0% - they know, they don't care.