PDA

View Full Version : VmWare or Parallels on new MBP 15"?

tom5955
17th November 2008, 04:47 PM
I'm receiving the new 15" MBP, with 4GB RAM, 2.53GHz and 512MB graphics card, for christmas.
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Fusion or Parallels (4) on the new MBP's?
I'm planning on making a bootcamp partition and then running the partition through Fusion or Parallels when i'm not running anything too intensive.
Firstly, would i be able to run intensive programs through Fusion or Parallels at decent speeds?
and Secondly, out of your experience which program runs the best on the newer MBP's?

Thanks for your help.

ozymandias
17th November 2008, 04:50 PM
I haven't got a new MBP, but my experience with the two products that I've used on a Intel Core 2 Duo 'old' MBP is that I find VMWare to be more stable, and runs faster.

I run pretty intensive apps in my VM, I use my VM's for Data Warehouse / Business Intelligence apps and I get great performance with VM. The other benefit of VM is the cross platform nature of it, you can just grab it a chuck it on a windows machine if you need to.

mechcon
17th November 2008, 04:51 PM
Another vote on VMware.. granted I haven't checked parallels 4.0 yet. but yeah I aint going to switch back to parallels.. im done gaming..

MissionMan
17th November 2008, 04:55 PM
I'm running Parallels 4 and it works great. I suggest you try trials of both and make up your own mind

Huy
17th November 2008, 04:55 PM
Fusion 2.x :)

But I have not seen any comparisons/benchmarks between Parallels 4 and the latest Fusion.

Wally
17th November 2008, 05:00 PM
WE might as well put this information in our signatures..

I USE VMWARE or I USE PARALLELS.. NO MORE OF THESE THREADS D:

Oh and FYI I use VMware.

Wally

purana
17th November 2008, 05:11 PM
I agree, download them both as demo's and use them. Then make an educated guess, rather then starting these threads all the time. Seriously.