PDA

View Full Version : Problem with iMovie, iMac G5 - importing from Digital camcorder.

Moose
17th November 2008, 02:27 PM
Hi, it has been a long time since I have needed the forum to help solve a problem but here goes.

Recently purchased a JVC Everio GZ-MG730 camcorder (very happy) but when importing through iMovie on my G5 iMac (specs are 17" 2GHz PowerpC with 1GB RAM running latest OS and updates etc) I have trouble with hanging. It is a bit complicated (for me) so I will list the problems.

* When I connect the camera it is recognised by imovie and I attempt to import by selecting "Import All" after which it says preparing thumbnails and then it hangs, for hours!! I can't even use Force Quit i have turn the machine off.

*When I then try and import by changing to manual and selecting 1 thumbnail (about 3 mins of actual video) to import it does it no problem. So then I try to import multiple thumbs, like 3 or 4 (around 20 mins of video all up) and it locks up as described previously.

*For comparison I tried the same thing on my newer Intel Macbook, no problem, works perfectly. You might suggest just using the macbook but all of my music, photos etc are on the iMac. Besides it should work.

So, my question(s) are these, will throwing more RAM at the iMac help? Or is it a processor issue? Your thoughts please.

Thanks for taking the time.

Moose.

unlimited1
9th December 2008, 11:58 PM
I have the same MAC with a sony camcorder and have the same issue... I did upgrade my RAM to 2GB with no improvement. The camcorder connects via a USB interface, which I am sure doesn't help. It is good to hear that it doesn't happen on the Intel MAC though...

anyone have any tricks that may help out here?

ClockWork
10th December 2008, 12:47 AM
For importing into iMovie or Final Cut Express, one needs the cam-corder to be connected via FireWire, not USB 2.0.

I believe from a little research that the Everio Dock has a FireWire Port on it.

Suggest you guys rest the JVC Everio into its Dock and connect a FireWire cable from the Dock to your computer.

cheers,

cw