PDA

View Full Version : External Hard Drives

gmask1
8th May 2005, 10:26 AM
For my birthday (yay for me!) today I received a shiny new external hdd from my parents. This was overly generous as there was a hidden agenda involved - they want their computer, and my mum's school computer backed up as well.

I'm not fully up on the file systems in OSX yet, so I was wondering how I should partition/format this drive so that it's plug-inable to WinXP boxes, my Tiger box, and my Mini which still runs Panther.

Suggestions are much appreciated, as always! :)

jobe
8th May 2005, 10:35 AM
depending on the size (???) fat32. It's the only FS that will be 100% compatible with both OSX and XP

gmask1
8th May 2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by jobe@May 8 2005, 10:35 AM
depending on the size (???) fat32. It's the only FS that will be 100% compatible with both OSX and XP
It's a 250Gb drive, and fat32 has a practical maximum of 32Gb with the Win boxes (correct me if I'm wrong).

Could I do a multiple partition drive with one NTFS, a FAT32, and a Mac (HFS?) partition - would the computers at least read their native file systems, or would they get stuck while determining the structure of the disk?

geektechnu
8th May 2005, 10:48 AM
FAT32 technically supports up to 2TB (or 8TB, depeding on who you talk to). The 32GB limit applies to Microsoft's format utility in 2K/XP only, as they're trying to get people to switch to NTFS.

You could partition and format with a 3rd party util, or possibly fdisk and format from Win98/Me.
I've seen 120GB FAT32 partitions that work just fine.

I' d definitely recommend partitioning the drive.
*Especially* if you're going to be backing up your parent's stuff as well.
Don't want their stuff mixing with yours ;)

jobe
8th May 2005, 10:50 AM
OSX can read NTFS so no problems there (cannot write though). But XP shits itself on HSF. I guess it would just apear as unformatted space...?

for more info... have a read of this thread (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=6137)

EDIT: i would avoid using an overly large (128gb+) fat32 partition due to the large cluster size and increased wasted space.

gmask1
8th May 2005, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by jobe@May 8 2005, 10:50 AM
OSX can read NTFS so no problems there (cannot write though). But XP shits itself on HSF. I guess it would just apear as unformatted space...?

for more info... have a read of this thread (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=6137)

EDIT: i would avoid using an overly large (128gb+) fat32 partition due to the large cluster size and increased wasted space.
Darn it - I thought I'd searched through the forums... sorry for the dupe!

Will read through that thread and make a decision.

Thanks for the assist!