PDA

View Full Version : iLife '06 & Leopard? Right in the middle of a project?

SyncMan
17th November 2008, 12:31 PM
I have a friend that got his Intel iMac a couple of years back with Tiger, and I believe, iLife '06 (iMovie HD 6.03, iDVD 6.04) and he wants to consider moving to Leopard.

So I want to know what happens to iLife? From what I have read there will be NO change of versions, but will the upgrade to Leopard clobber an editing project in progress?

Also if he wanted to update iLife to '08, will he be going backwards with iMovie '08, as if I remember correctly they changed it so much that people hated it now.

Whatever happens I don't think he will move to iMovie '08 whilst in the middle of his project, so this last question is more for the future once he is finished his current project.

decryption
17th November 2008, 12:47 PM
Err, just save the project.
Install 10.5 and iLife '06.
Re-open project.

Why would moving to Leopard make a saved file not work?

SyncMan
17th November 2008, 01:08 PM
Why would moving to Leopard make a saved file not work?

I don't know, that's why I am asking here.

Maybe something breaks?

If nothing breaks, then all is good, but still there is the other question about iMovie '08.

p53
17th November 2008, 02:46 PM
I have only recently started using iMovie. But since iMovie 08 lacks some of the features of iMovie 06, I use both apps on the one Mac. I just import/export videos as needed. I haven't come across any problems doing this, then again I'm less than an amateur. Anyways if your friend doesn't like iMovie 08, there's no reason why he can't go back to iMovie 06.

Dust For Eyes
17th November 2008, 03:11 PM
I don't know, that's why I am asking here.

Maybe something breaks?

You could always send your work files to someone who already has Leopard and see if there are any problems. I'd be surprised if there is.

ceosabio
12th December 2008, 12:31 PM
iMovie '08 has no video or audio effects!

zootman
12th December 2008, 01:16 PM
If you upgrade iLife '06 to '08, the older version of iMovie is moved to a folder called "iMovie (previous version)" in your Applications Folder. You then have a choice of running either iMovie 08 or the older iMovie HD.

Cheers.

Arkhum_Eramak
12th December 2008, 02:03 PM
My rule has been to never upgrade software mid-way through a project. Finish the project and then upgrade, it's just not worth the risk. It will probably be fine...but I've also seen things go totally pear-shaped. If it's an important project, finish it.