PDA

View Full Version : Copying Windows instead of reformatting

astronutties
16th November 2008, 07:22 PM
Hey everyone!

First off, I'm new here. Looks like a great forum!

I've formatted my drive with BootCamp so that Windows has 10 gigs and is in FAT32 so that I can access files from the drive while in OS X. Unfortunately, I underestimated how much room I needed for Windows and need to format it again so that I can allocate more room.

I really, REALLY do not want to reinstall Windows for the umpteenth time in my life. Is it possible to just copy all of the contents from my drive into OS X, repartition the drive and then dump my copied Windows files back on? I'm guessing this wont work but thought I should ask anyway.

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't think of any search keywords to use for this question.

~astronutties

purana
16th November 2008, 07:29 PM
Is it possible to just copy all of the contents from my drive into OS X, repartition the drive and then dump my copied Windows files back on? I'm guessing this wont work but thought I should ask anyway.

Simple answer: No.

astronutties
16th November 2008, 07:32 PM
Lol...wishful thinking I guess. Thanks for the fast reply.

Huy
16th November 2008, 07:33 PM
Virtualize Windows.

Then you won't have to format all the time. You can just move the single virtual machine file around. Even between machines.

And keep multiple snapshots of your VMs.

astronutties
16th November 2008, 07:38 PM
I play games in Windows so I don't really want to virtualise it. I'm looking into creating a ghost image now and going from there. I'll see what google tells me.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Currawong
16th November 2008, 07:45 PM
I'm not 100% sure this will work, but look up Winclone.

astronutties
16th November 2008, 07:53 PM
Thanks! That's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll give it a go and let you know how it goes.

vecsty
16th November 2008, 08:01 PM
----------------

Lumus
16th November 2008, 09:12 PM
I'm guessing you want write access to the Windows partition? OS X will read NTFS perfectly fine and you wont have any file size restrictions either. Although with only 10GB of space you probably wont run into it much.

Out of curiosity, what games will you be running as 10GB doesn't sound like a lot these days.

dev_enter
16th November 2008, 10:23 PM
Although I haven't tested it when going from a smaller to a larger partition, you should be able to use Disk Utility to create an image of your Windows partition, and restore it using asr:

sudo asr restore --source ~/Desktop/Windows.dmg --target /dev/disk0s3 --erase
Obviously your source and/or target may differ. This is also unlikely to work when going from a larger to a smaller partition. I think Winclone is capable of doing that.

astronutties
17th November 2008, 01:20 PM
I've used NTFS before and I don't think I was able to read/write from my drive in OS X. I'll give it a try this time anyway. I need to back up my system before I do anything though and I'm getting an external hard drive soon so I'll wait till then.

It's not so much the games I need the computer resources for in Windows but I like to have that option in case I do get any resource hungry games in the future. I do use CAD for uni however and a lot of other programs they get us to use also need Windows. It's a pain but much easier to have a BootCamp Windows.

Although I haven't tested it when going from a smaller to a larger partition, you should be able to use Disk Utility to create an image of your Windows partition, and restore it using asr.

Thanks for this but I'll stick with Winclone as I don't trust myself to get things right with Terminal.

Just for interest sake, I have a Macbook Pro with 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo and 2 gigs of ram.