PDA

View Full Version : Startup Items

neilrobinson
8th May 2005, 02:33 AM
i have been asked this question quiet a few times in the last while (mostly on #apple) so i thought a pinned topic was the way to do it!

Startup Items are programs that open when you login to your computer. These can be used so email programs, calendars, instant messengers all come up when you login so you dont forget about them, These programs can also be hidden (by selecting the hide checkbox) which puts them into the background. I personally usually have mail.app and Adium open.

If you are using 10.4
Open System Preferences>Accounts.
Select the account to be edited and select login items.
OR
If you program is in the dock right click (control click if you only have one button) and hit
"Open At Login".

If you are using 10.3
Open System Preferences>Accounts
Select the account to be edited and select startup items.

If you have any changes / improvements please PM me!

neil

EDIT: I will post some pictures tomorrow!

hiredgoon
20th March 2008, 06:50 AM
... still waiting neil!

just a quick one; airport base station agent is listed on my start up items, but i dont have an airport base station... might sound like a silly question but is it ok to delete it from the list?

timdotexe
20th March 2008, 07:12 AM
Good idea for a guide, i am sure some people are unaware how to add and remove login items and it can be quite a handy thing to have configured!

10.5 steps are same as 10.4 pretty much.

Just one thing though, the guide should be called 'login items'.

"Startup items" are are launched on boot and effect the whole computer, "login items" launch on user login and only affect that user.

hiredgoon
20th March 2008, 07:14 AM
ah yes. thats a good pick up... so do you think it is ok to delete from my "login items"?

timdotexe
20th March 2008, 07:19 AM
It should be fine to remove it.

I just found NQL3201_ButtonManager listed in mine, google reveals its for a canon scanner which i had connected for day or so last year! Time to go!

gtext
20th March 2008, 09:49 AM
That's a great tip. Thanks neilrobinson.

Programs in the dock can be can be set to "open in login," but I've been trying to work out how to do it for non dock programs.

Thanks again.