PDA

View Full Version : Copying old Thunderbird email Mac to Mac

countryslicker
15th November 2008, 11:25 AM
For the past few months I have been using Thunderbird with OSX 10.5.2, and wireless broadband with a new email address. I installed the programme fresh. Everything is working fine.

On my previous Mac OSX 10.4.8 I used Thunderbird with cable broadband with a different (and no longer used) email address. I can open and read all these old emails on my 10.4.8 Mac, but itís inconvenient.

I have had no luck in transferring all the old emails to my Mac OSX 10.5.2 so that I can open and read them individually, preferably in a separate folder. I have spent many hours trying all sorts of methods, different folders etc, but without success. Iím sure it must be simpler than what Iím making it. Any help much appreciated.

FineWine
15th November 2008, 12:56 PM
I have had no luck in transferring all the old emails to my Mac OSX 10.5.2 so that I can open and read them individually, preferably in a separate folder. I have spent many hours trying all sorts of methods, different folders etc, but without success. Iím sure it must be simpler than what Iím making it. Any help much appreciated.

What you essentially want to do is merge two Thunderbird profiles.

Read these articles:

Transferring data to a new profile - Thunderbird (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_FAQs_:_Merge_Profiles)

Importing folders (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_folders) in Thunderbird

In the Importing folders article it recommends this ImportExportTool extension (http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html) Read the whole page before trying this extension as it does have limitations and maybe a bug or two. I have not tried this extension myself.

countryslicker
15th November 2008, 04:14 PM
Appreciate the feedback FineWine, but I'd already checked those links out last week. The instructions seem to be for PC's - well, they don't make any sense to me. And the software extension will not install on either of my Macs (PC software?). I'll keep looking for someone who has written some simple exact steps in plain English on how to undertake a Mac>Mac transfer. Maybe it can't be done:(

FineWine
16th November 2008, 12:08 AM
Appreciate the feedback FineWine, but I'd already checked those links out last week. The instructions seem to be for PC's - well, they don't make any sense to me. And the software extension will not install on either of my Macs (PC software?). I'll keep looking for someone who has written some simple exact steps in plain English on how to undertake a Mac>Mac transfer. Maybe it can't be done:(

Thunderbirds profile folder contains exactly same contents whether it is on a PC or a Mac, it is just the locations are different.

Profile folders for Mac are in one of these locations:

* ~/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles/<Profile name>/
* ~/Library/Application Support/Thunderbird/Profiles/<Profile name>/

The tilde character (~) refers to the current user's Home folder, so ~/Library is the /Macintosh HD/Users/<username>/Library folder.

I always use an Extension called ChromEditPlus (http://webdesigns.ms11.net/chromeditp.html). This extension will always accurately find your default profile folder. When installing extensions I always download them to the desktop then I open up the Add-ons menu and drag and drop the extension from the desktop to the open Add-ons menu. The install process will start automatically. 99% of all extensions are cross platform compatible so I can not understand how the ImportExportTools extension will not install. The latest version is 11/11/2008: new 2.1 version (TB - compatible 1.0 - 3.0).

I would also ensure you have the latest version of Thunderbird (2.0.0.17) installed on both machines. Now install the ImportExportTools extension on both machines.

On the machine that you wish to move your emails FROM, open Thunderbird and ensure you are off line (File, Offline, Work offline) now high light your "Inbox" folder then go to the Tools menu and select "Import/Export in mbox/eml format" then select "Export folder with subfolders (with structure)". Now choose your destination, an appropriate sized USB stick will do. (to find out how large your profile folder is, locate the folder and press CMD-i or right click and select Get Info). Press OK. Do the same thing again this time high light your "Sent" folder.

On the machine that you wish to import your emails to, open Thunderbird, again ensuring you are off line. Now do the above except this time select "Import mbox file", now select "Import one or more mbox files, with its/their subdirectory". Locate the Inbox.sbd folder on your transfer media, select the "Inbox.sbd" folder. Now high light all, select OK. Let it do its stuff (seconds to minutes depending on the amount) Now do the same for the "Sent.sbd" folder.

VERY IMPORTANT: Before Importing ensure you have high lighted the appropriate folder in Thunderbird i.e. high light Inbox before importing the Inbox.sbd folder. Or you could place them in your "Local folders" "Inbox" , your choice.

All your emails from your previous machine should now be on the target machine.

NOTE: each imported folder will have a number appended to the end of it.

I hope all this works for you - it seems straight forward enough.

countryslicker
16th November 2008, 11:49 AM
Finewine - absolutely fantastic! I basically followed (very alert but not alarmed) your very clear steps. It all eventually worked. Your help is so much appreciated. Your instructions should be a compulsory sticky on the Thunderbird site.

Just a few comments. I downloaded the two 3rd party extensions. They were very recalcitrant, and required multiple attempts to install on both Macs. No idea why.

A few comments:

Locate the Inbox.sbd folder on your transfer media, select the "Inbox.sbd" folder. Now high light all, select OK. Let it do its stuff (seconds to minutes depending on the amount) Now do the same for the "Sent.sbd" folder.

Didn't work for me. I had to select "inbox" (grey icon) only, not .sbd, then import worked.

VERY IMPORTANT: Before Importing ensure you have high lighted the appropriate folder in Thunderbird

YES! EXTREMELY important! Otherwise one will erase all one's current email, as I did on my 10.5.2 Mac (I had a safety backup). I re-imported everything into Local Folders - that did the trick.

Again, much appreciate all your detailed input. Weeks of stress are now gone.:) I wish I could email you a bottle of fine wine in gratitude.

FineWine
16th November 2008, 02:12 PM
Again, much appreciate all your detailed input. Weeks of stress are now gone.:) I wish I could email you a bottle of fine wine in gratitude.

Great to hear it all worked for you. It is always a great feeling when things come together.

A bottle Merlot would great.

I am curious though why you use Thunderbird and not Apple Mail. I just switched a year ago and on my PC I used Thunderbird but upon switching I use Apple Mail due to its full integration with Address Book and iCal etc. (though I still use Firefox on my Mac) If you ever decide to switch to Apple Mail the process is even easier than coming from a PC.

Prior to transfer start Thunderbird take it Off Line and then select your mail account. Then select; File, Compact Folders. This is an absolute must action to prevent file corruption.

In Apple Mail, File, Import Mailboxes, select Thunderbird, press Continue and locate the Thunderbird profile directory and let Mail do its thing.

In Mail they will appear under "On My Mac" as "Imported Mail".

Rearrange to your likening.

High lighting each mail folder at a time goto Mailbox on the menu bar and select "Rebuild". This will ensure there is no file corruption after Mail has imported and converted your Thunderbird mail files.

Quit Mail and restart and that is all there is to it. All your old Thunderbird Mail should be there including attachments.

I also use a little program called "Speedmail (http://www.1802.it/speedmail.php)" it essentially does the same as Apple Mail Rebuild but does it better on all your boxes at once.

OK that's all.

Cheers

countryslicker
16th November 2008, 04:46 PM
I have used Thunderbird for several years now (after moving from Eudora on a Mac) and I suppose I'm happy with it and have no reason to start using (or learning to use) something else. Also, I prefer not to be reliant on Apple for everything. I've used Microsoft Office for Mac for many years, and again am very happy with it and see no reason to change. I did test Mail when I moved to Leopard, but again there was no real reason to switch. I tried Outlook Express years ago, but wasn't too impressed.

I did play with iCal over several weeks earlier this year, in an attempt to RELIABLY sync my address book and calendar with my Sony Ericsson P1i mobile, but it was a total disaster (many posts about this problem), and it just confirmed my decision to not place all my faith in Apple integration. Not really a criticism, just not worth all the bother and anxiety. I continue to use MS Entourage, which syncs perfectly with my mobile without going via iCal.

Sorry I can't email you the Merlot bottle via Thunderbird - "computer says No" ;)