PDA

View Full Version : Faxing from OSX leopard: Help please

microportal
14th November 2008, 09:03 AM
i guys i need help to send faxes from my mac...no idea on how to do so. Is there away to do so without using/buying external software in OsX 10.5? If so please hellp :)

rpjallan
14th November 2008, 09:23 AM
The first thing you need to send/receive faxes is a dial up modem...

Geoff3DMN
14th November 2008, 09:37 AM
It is possible to use an email to fax gateway service instead of a dial up modem.

I've been using mBox for a couple of years for sending work faxes and it's been trouble free. In addition to the traditional computer/email fax solution they've recently introduced an iPhone app as well.

mBox - Fax to Email, Virtual Fax, Voicemail to Email, Internet Fax, Email to Fax, Email to SMS (http://www.mbox.com.au/)

If you are a low volume user and don't want a subscription plan then UTBox works fine.

UTBox |Internet Fax, including Fax by Email, Fax Broadcasting and sending and receiving SMS from PC (http://www.utbox.net/)too.

Neither of these solutions requires buying or using external software as you just use your standard email program to create and send the faxes.

Currawong
14th November 2008, 10:16 AM
If you have a modem, or another mac has a modem, you can print to fax from the print dialogue. To fax through the modem of another mac, that mac needs to be sharing printers.

grfxninja
14th November 2008, 10:28 AM
That really isn't helpful. Not everything can be done by email. the OP may run a business where faxing is still required as I do…

EDIT: And for the record, I ended up buying a Fax/Scanner/Printer thingy that plugs into my USB port. Saved me a lot of stuffing around.

microportal
14th November 2008, 10:28 AM
Thanks for all that guys, been trying to fax through the internal modem but kept coming up with a fax protocol error(!?WTF) i will now look into ubox.

To elnewb:Banks don't like email, they WANT faxes:) at least mine does. So there, faxes are still important.

Geoff3DMN
14th November 2008, 11:28 AM
To elnewb:Banks don't like email, they WANT faxes:) at least mine does. So there, faxes are still important.

Yes and not only banks.

Lots of government departments require faxing of reports and won't accept email for that purpose as well.

rpjallan
14th November 2008, 12:10 PM
been trying to fax through the internal modem but kept coming up with a fax protocol error

What model Mac are you using?

Brewster
14th November 2008, 12:55 PM
Do you have access to an "all in 1" scanner/printer? Quite a few of them of them have fax capabilities you access as a print option.

microportal
14th November 2008, 02:22 PM
Do you have access to an "all in 1" scanner/printer? Quite a few of them of them have fax capabilities you access as a print option.

Haha i do not have one...silly of me to spend loads of money on a all in one without one. Anyway thanks for the help guys, matter is resolved, i tried faxing but was greeted with a fax protocol error from oxs...gave up after few times and went to the bank to get them to fax it for me.

Tried the Ubox but got nowhere with it, it cannot attach my pdf, might be due to my recently capped connection, will try next time, sounds easy. I have say it is a good thing i kept my old powerbook with a telephone modem outlet...hmm old powerbook=very expensive fax machine? :)