PDA

View Full Version : Apple 12" Powerbook Laptop Questions

designers_hub
7th May 2005, 08:26 PM
I have a few questions about the 12" Powerbook laptop.

I know the apple site says that it is "3cm". But can someone actually measure it and tell me how thick it really is?

Does the computer get really hot?

Is it really made of a alluminium?

Does it have a coat of paint or something like the old Powerbook Ti?

How long does the battery actually last?

Does this model have lots of problems? I want it to be problem free!

Hows the built in speakers?

And some feedback of course!

Ronin+Scissors
7th May 2005, 08:31 PM
Yes, it's 3cm

Sort of

Yes

No

4ish hours, depends on usage

No

Crap, it's a laptop

It's good!

:P

EDIT: Oops, forgot to answer that it is actually made of aluminium

designers_hub
7th May 2005, 08:38 PM
i want to switch from my imac G5 to a powerbook since i want to move around alot.

i wanted to know when will they update the lines? They still seem a bit expensive for my likeing.

Plus did you realise that the Alluminium line is actually fatter than the Ti Line?

I looked at the old Powerbook Ti line and i went "Oh Golly! they are so sexy". and i love them so much more than the current line.

I want a apple laptop which is thinner and lighter. I have the rule of 1inch! plus 2.1kg is the lightest they have, which is pretty heavy.

When do you think they will upgrade the line? Is there rumours out about an update? don't really care about a G5 update.

My dream powerbook:
-Unstrachible
-1inch or thinner
-1.5kg or lighter
-12inch screen

As you can see i want ultra light and thin!

EDIT: removed swearing. :P

josh64
7th May 2005, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Ronin+Scissors@May 7 2005, 08:31 PM
Yes, it's 3cm

Sort of

No

4ish hours, depends on usage

No

Crap, it's a laptop

It's good!

:P
ditto. B)

Atomac
7th May 2005, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by designers_hub@May 7 2005, 08:26 PM
I have a few questions about the 12" Powerbook laptop.

I know the apple site says that it is "3cm". But can someone actually measure it and tell me how thick it really is?

Does it have a coat of paint or something like the old Powerbook Ti?

Yes, it really is.

Not really. It can get warm on barelegs in summer but otherwise is fine.

It is an aluminium alloy. No paint.

Depends on what you are doing but I can make mine last all day if I let it sleep between bursts of work. I think constant use it has lasted about 5 hours max, 2.5 min.

None that immediately come to mind.

I love mine. It looks so sexy people always oo and ah when they see it. It is small and light, processor and grpahics are good. To be honest it is the best computer I have ever owned.

designers_hub
7th May 2005, 08:41 PM
the powerbooks are not impressive i reckon.

There too heavy and too thick.

tommelbourne
7th May 2005, 08:46 PM
Uhh, if you already hold negative views towards the thing, why ask so many questions?

tommelbourne
7th May 2005, 08:51 PM
Geez, you don't ask much! I don't think you will be getting what you want in a hurry, so i would either go with what is avaliable now or get an iBook.

Ronin+Scissors
7th May 2005, 08:56 PM
Meh, for the money the 12" is pretty thin. getting a considerably thinner non-yumcha PC 12" requires ~4k expenditure.

And really, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Ti dimensions are the same as the Al dimensions... (obviously excluding the 12" since it didn't exist as a Ti).

frenchtoast
7th May 2005, 09:19 PM
12" Powerbooks are only just coming into regular supply at resellers, and considering how long it took for the last update to come around there will not be any update for many many many months.

Comet
7th May 2005, 09:24 PM
The prices of the powerbooks have come down significantly in the last 12 months. As for the looks, it really depends on what your tastes are. I personally think the TiBooks look great except for their stupid looking plastic keyboard.

If you want portability and keep the cost down then get a 12" iBook and keep the G5

McMullet
7th May 2005, 09:28 PM

I reckon built-in speakers are surprisingly good for a laptop of its size. I've heard speakers from other laptops and they sound pretty crap compared to the PB. If sound is really important to you, don't get a laptop. What were you expecting though? Bang & Olufsen quality sound?

I haven't had any problems with it since I bought it but how can you expect it to be problem free? Do you enter relationships with guys/girls expecting them to be problem free? It's a computer! Nothing is perfect and neither is the powerbook.

Phillip
7th May 2005, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by designers_hub@May 7 2005, 08:41 PM

Who said they were impressive was their opinion. If you don't like them, then don't buy them. It's not like Appletalk is forcing you to buy Apple hardware.

And, if you find notebook that has everything the PowerBook has, and weighs the same or less, that's thinner, and for about the same price, then go and buy it. (You won't, cause they are at Apple's HQ). But a starting point would be either Sony's Vaio T series, and Toshiba's Portege range.

Currawong
7th May 2005, 09:34 PM
dh: I"ve merged both your threads, and moved them to the correct forum - you may as well have just started one :)

vargz
7th May 2005, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by designers_hub@May 7 2005, 08:41 PM

Lol....didn't take much for you to draw your conclusions.

So a Powerbook isn't for you. Stick with your G5 or get a Windows ultra-compact for $4K+.

shtan72
7th May 2005, 10:13 PM
If you really want thin and light, stick to the Fujitsu 10.4 inch notebooks. I was weighing up my PB 12inch against it. Mac Tiger kills XP, enough said. If you still don't agree, try the Dell 700m - a gorgeous "wannabee powerbook" but its battery life is 2 hours (half of pb) and of course, it runs XP with no other software on it. For quality, the PB is still the best on the market and whacks toshiba, sony, compaq, fujitsu...........

designers_hub
7th May 2005, 11:29 PM
Well after having a look at it, i don't think that 2mm off my mark will kill me.

Its a very nice laptop compared to the rest.

Question: When you hook a external mouse does it disable the trackpad automatically?

Question: 167mhz front bus seems pretty weak. How fast is the processor?

I'm not in uni but i am in high school. Why can't i get the educational discount?

Exocet
7th May 2005, 11:51 PM
Are you a highschool student, or a highschool teacher? Teachers can apply for the discount, students cannot. The processor speeds are available on the apple website here (http://www.apple.com/powerbook). Remember if you're coming from a G5, the front-side-bus is extremely high because it is a 64-bit processor, the G4 is only 32-bit.

You can choose if you want to turn the trackpad off when a bluetooth device is connected, it's an option in the keyboard and mouse settings. Same can be done with keyboards.

designers_hub
7th May 2005, 11:54 PM
really? is that why the FSB of the G4 are so low?

How do they perform but? Whats a 1.5ghz G4 compared to a 1.8ghz G5?

I'm a school student. Dam. how come they don't offer discount for high school students?? is theer some nice apple reseller out there that does give out educational discount of high school students?

Phillip
7th May 2005, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Exocet@May 7 2005, 11:51 PM
Are you a highschool student, or a highschool teacher? Teachers can apply for the discount, students cannot. The processor speeds are available on the apple website here (http://www.apple.com/powerbook). Remember if you're coming from a G5, the front-side-bus is extremely high because it is a 64-bit processor, the G4 is only 32-bit.
Just because the G5 is a 32/64bit processor, doesn't mean it automatically gets a super high bus. Yes, the G4's FSB is weak, but its been proven that the G4 and G5 running at the same clock speed with a 32 bit app, the G5 isn't much faster. Because of the architecture, the G5 runs much faster when there are multiple processors. It was designed group up for it.

Exocet
8th May 2005, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by designers_hub@May 7 2005, 11:54 PM
I'm a school student. Dam. how come they don't offer discount for high school students?? is theer some nice apple reseller out there that does give out educational discount of high school students?
Resellers make a pathetic margin as it is, let alone with the EDU discount. I'm not sure if they're reimbursed by Apple when they make an educational sale, but either way they make nearly nothing on an EDU sale, and therefore unless they HAVE to, they're not going to do it. If they did it for somebody that they weren't supposed to (assuming that they're reimbursed), they wouldn't get that remuneration from Apple if they sold it to a Highschool student.

Why don't Apple do it for highschool students? Because they just don't. Take it up with Apple Australia, their number is 133-MAC (622)

Rayd
8th May 2005, 01:25 AM
the 15" pBook i have and many other people powerbooks have the Speaker Channel problem, the track-pad problem, and the gap problem,

the speaker channel problem: the powerbook can separate the left channel but it cant separate the right, try it in Sound, System prefrences

the track-pad problem: the vertical movie movement is very slow compared to horizontal

the gap problem: when the laptop is closed there is a definite bigger gap between LCD and base on the right that isn't visible on the left or the "hook"

OziMac
8th May 2005, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by designers_hub@May 7 2005, 11:54 PM
I'm going to take a stab at this one Exocet -

Because most uni students are struggling their butts off to complete their studies and have little to no time to work to pay for things such as computers, and more often than not don't have parents to buy these things for them. And because most academics and teachers work thankless jobs for meagre pay, but also represent one of Apple's core market constituencies and thus deserve a break too.

And like Exocet said, if you have a problem with this - email steve@mac.com or get your parents to buy the stuff for you. :)

[For the record, I thought that resellers made the same margins on retail and EDU-priced items, and that it was Apple that took the hit there - can someone appropriatly in the know clarify this? :)]

Exocet
8th May 2005, 01:46 AM
Yeah, that's an option I considered Ozi. Whenever I've bought something I've always had my Uni ID photocopied, I assume to be used to verify that I actually was a Uni student when they send their invoice to apple for the payback on the discount.

designers_hub
8th May 2005, 01:30 PM
I like the 12inch laptop because its really compact. But i also want to use it as a desktop computer. What screen sizes does the 12inch powerbook support?

The apple site says 1024x768, that seems kinda limited. Can you hook it to lets say a 30inch screen?

McMullet
8th May 2005, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by designers_hub@May 8 2005, 01:30 PM
The apple site says 1024x768, that seems kinda limited. Can you hook it to lets say a 30inch screen?
I don't think so. Have you actually seen the 30"? it's HUUUUUUGE. Do you even really need a screen that big?

c3017474
8th May 2005, 05:20 PM
It wouldn't have taken my research to find this out for yourself - http://www.apple.com.au/displays/ - but the 30" apple display requires dual dvi connectivity, which is available 'out-of-the-box' on the 17 inch powerbook and as a (video card) option on the 15 inch. In future, it would be advisable if you did a bit of research yourself before asking very simple questions.

Phillip
8th May 2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by designers_hub@May 8 2005, 01:30 PM
No. Not the 30" anyway. You can hook it up to a 23" Cinema display or the Dell 24" Display or any smaller display for that matter. (like a 17" LCD would be a nice match I think). I think it's pretty safe to assume the people who will buy a top of the line 30" Display will have a top of the line PowerBook (17" or 15") or a PowerMac G5. Why would you get a $2500 computer and a $5000 display? Unless you really like something compact and go home to a entertainment system. Odd concept.

designers_hub
8th May 2005, 06:13 PM
lol. no i'm not getting a 30inch screen.

23inches is more than enough. The apple site says that it supports only 1024x768 and 800x600. Does this mean that if i hook the laptop to a 20inch will it adjust to 1280x800 or whatever?

hopefully this makes sense. I'm pretty new to all this screen conversion and all.

Phillip
8th May 2005, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by designers_hub@May 8 2005, 06:13 PM
lol. no i'm not getting a 30inch screen.

23inches is more than enough. The apple site says that it supports only 1024x768 and 800x600. Does this mean that if i hook the laptop to a 20inch will it adjust to 1280x800 or whatever?

hopefully this makes sense. I'm pretty new to all this screen conversion and all.
The Apple.com page says 1024x768 and 800x600 for the 12" screen thats with the PowerBook. It also says under 'Video and Graphics support' section, that it supports up to 2048 x 1536 on another display running Simultaneously with the built in 12" display. All up, thats about 3.93 million pixels that it can support.

designers_hub
8th May 2005, 07:22 PM
sweet.