PDA

View Full Version : Macmice Bluetooth Problems

choc
7th May 2005, 08:03 PM
Am a complete MAC newbie. Finally got my Mini on Wednesday & haven't slept much since
What a great box. Finally installed the supplied Tiger today & all seemed ok.
Then the mouse started to get a mind of it's own, very slow response. Eventually the BT connection was failing every 20secs. Have rebooted twice & it's now working but not properly & is still failing
but not so freqquently.
Anybody have a clue ?

notb4dinner
7th May 2005, 08:12 PM
Are there any wireless networks nearby? I've experienced jerkiness/slow response speeds when using my using my bluetooth mouse while transferring large files over my wireless network.

downsys
7th May 2005, 08:28 PM
firstly, check the keyboard and mouse preferences. if all is well there, then i'll have to be honest, The Mouse BT sucks...had it myself before for a few months. jerky is its normality.

choc
7th May 2005, 08:39 PM
there could be networks nearby but its unlikely.
prefs look ok.
as i said, only had this prob after Tiger install
any recommendations for an alternative mouse ?

downsys
7th May 2005, 08:56 PM
try to install the bluetooth updater again (maybe will help, maybe nothing, i dunno). recommendations maybe kensington...there are a large selection to find from Streetwise.

choc
8th May 2005, 10:23 AM
Well, I had to go buy a usb mouse but just googled and the following popped up
hope this helps anyone els with the same problem, looks like the Tiger upgrade was
responsible.
Thanks to Jonas Salling:

Background:
When you pair a Bluetooth device with your Mac, both your Mac and the device will store a shared key that will be used later when authentication is required for a connection.

Problem:
When you upgrade the operating system, there is a chance the Mac loses its copy of the shared key. This is certainly the case if you do a clean install! Attempts to open a connection requiring authentication may now fail with an error message instead of triggering a new pairing sequence (the thing that requires you to enter a code both on your Mac and your device).

Solution:
Remove the shared key (usually denoted "Trusted device", "Bluetooth devices", "Known Devices" or similar) from both your device and your Mac. Then pair again using Bluetooth Setup Assistant. This will make sure both ends have the same shared key.

jobsey
19th May 2005, 12:24 AM
I bought the BT macmice a few months ago - it was bloody hopeless..

I dunno i find the whole BT thing a bit of a scam esp for things like a mouse and keyboard.. after a while you want reliability with these things rather than having this whole wireless garbage that's been offered as the next great hope ie fad

rice mac
19th May 2005, 01:15 AM
http://homepage.mac.com/jonassalling/Shareware/Clicker/
IMO Salling Clicker & being able to SMS by using Apple's AddressBook.app are two of the 'killer apps' for home user to take up the technology.

I'm a big Bluetooth fan, so my comments are highly biased...

Just not having to plug in a PC card or data cable every time I want to check my email makes BT worth it for me (god damn that sucked big time, especially data cables). I use my GPRS phone daily to check mail, send SMSs and with Salling Clicker.

Originally posted by jobsey@May 19 2005, 01:24 AM
I dunno i find the whole BT thing a bit of a scam esp for things like a mouse and keyboard.. after a while you want reliability with these things rather than having this whole wireless garbage that's been offered as the next great hope ie fad
Bluetooth can be a bit annoying with the whole pairing + pass key rigamarole, but I dont find it gimmicky, but rather useful. It took some time before there were many phones & PDAs equipped with bluetooth, but now there is a somewhat decent selection to choose from. Prices for Bluetooth products here in Aus, though are still crap.

I find that the Apple BT keyboard works almost flawlessly. It is also very efficient with batteries - I get about 4-5 months out of 4 AAs. The Apple mouse's single button is a let down, but otherwise it is great, possessing a simple on/off switch and good wireless range. The Logitech MX900 chews through batteries but has good BT range as well, just wish it had a simple on/off switch

rice mac
19th May 2005, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by choc
Then the mouse started to get a mind of it's own, very slow response. Eventually the BT connection was failing every 20secs. Have rebooted twice & it's now working but not properly & is still failing
but not so freqquently.

Those symptoms also occur when the batteries are running out of juice.

purana
19th May 2005, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by choc@May 7 2005, 08:03 PM
Am a complete MAC newbie. Finally got my Mini on Wednesday & haven't slept much since
Sorry query is not related to topic, any chance you could PM me your product code on your Mac mini box/invoice.

I got my Mac mini on Monday this week and have been in discussions with reseller and Apple yesterday in relation the the supposely includes Tiger drop in update.

Ironically enough my Mac mini has the new product code but never got the drop in dvd, and of course reseller says deal with Apple and Apple say use the up-to-date program. But as I pointed out, X machines ordered after X date should get the drop in dvd, not to mention my machine is the new product code model according to reseller. SO in my opinion, if I just spent nearly 4k in gear, then I want my drop in dvd for tiger and will not pay for it. As its the whole principal I think.

Anyways, if you could confirm your product code, that would be great.

Kuma
19th May 2005, 06:31 AM
It would seem that no one in this thread is going to like this post... but I have 0 probs with my BT keyboard and mouse.... even after installing Tiger.
(with the exception of batter consumption - it should have a recharging dock)

Rayd
19th May 2005, 08:13 AM
macmice "the mouse BT" was disscontinued and taken out of stores because of how bad it was, and how it had a mind of its own... so it aint the computers fault its the mouse.. i suggest you return it and get the kensington pilot BT mouse :)

the_OM
19th May 2005, 10:38 AM
Did I have a reply in this thread that got deleted by a mod? I swear I posted in here last week sometime.