PDA

View Full Version : Switch To Data Plan?

ChrisG
13th November 2008, 04:19 PM
I got my iPhone 3G a month ago (feels like just yesterday) and I am loving my new baby. When I first bought my iPhone 3G home with me I turned 3G off and connected to my home wifi internet connection thinking that if I disable 3G and go outside it won't charge me for anything.

I went to the city a few days after I got my iPhone to go to an iPhone Workshop at the Apple Store and used the Maps feature to navigate my way there. Little did I know Vodafone where charging ridiculous amounts per 15KB for all the data used to receive the maps (originally I thought it was getting the maps from the satellites, and boy I was wrong).

When I was coming home I needed to call someone (I recharged my account the previous day to $30 because it was running low from my old phone) and got a message saying you have $0.20 left on your account, I was like WTF?

So I go home, I ring up Vodafone and tell them that I want them to disable the 3G feature temporarily until I get a data plan (I didn't think I would need one).

So now here I am a few weeks later and am deciding on a Vodafone data plan (with calls). I don't use my phone much to call people (only occasionally) but use it more for sending SMS's. It took me about a month and a half to use $30 worth of credit on my old phone.

What plan would you recommend for me that is around the $20 - $30 mark that allows me to make calls (not many) and send sms's, as well as browse a few web pages, check email and watch a couple of youtube videos on the go?

Thanks,
ChrisG.

chrism238
13th November 2008, 04:22 PM
.... to receive the maps (originally I thought it was getting the maps from the satellites, and boy I was wrong)...Without any criticism, I'm interested to know what what your previous thinking was on this.
Did you think that satellites were sending fresh pictures of the ground, whenever you asked?

ChrisG
13th November 2008, 04:25 PM
That's what I thought originally, I don't know why (I have learnt my lesson) :(
I think I heard it from somewhere on the internet.

iGobbleoff
13th November 2008, 04:25 PM
if you really dont want to use data, cant you ring Voda and tell them to put a block on data access on your account?

ChrisG
13th November 2008, 04:26 PM
That's what I did do, now I am finally deciding to get a plan that has data allowance included.

isamwa
14th November 2008, 11:14 AM
Vodafone do a month to month plan. Its caps or plans. No contract. Plans are from $20 and you can choose an extra for free which could be 100mb data. I have found that if I have access to wireless I tend to use under 100mb a month. They offer $20,30,40,50 worth of calls depending what you need but only 100mb of data. The capped version for $30 gets you $150 dollars worth of calls and you add a data package on for $10 for 100mb. The info is on the front page of Vodafone, down the bottom with caps and contracts. Hope that helps.

ChrisG
15th November 2008, 10:30 AM
Thanks for your replys guys. On the home page of vodafone I see there is a page offering 100MB of data for $9.95. Is there any way of adding this to my existing pre paid plan? If not, is there a cheap option of adding 100MB to my existing pre paid plan?

Thanks,
ChrisG.

Jaffa
15th November 2008, 04:42 PM
I see there is a page offering 100MB of data for $9.95. Is there any way of adding this to my existing pre paid plan? If not, is there a cheap option of adding 100MB to my existing pre paid plan?

I'll be quick and painless: No. You need to be on Post-Pay.