PDA

View Full Version : Bottom part of screen unresponsive

gtext
13th November 2008, 03:21 PM
My 3G iPhone bought outright from telstra and still locked a couple of months ago is having this screen problem.
The fourth level of icons above the dock have stopped working. The dock icons still work though.
Tried a restore in iTunes without success.
Anything else I can try before I take it in?

If I can't fix it I was going to take it to the Apple Store Chadstone rather than telstra.
Would that be OK for a locked telstra iPhone?

pitchdark
13th November 2008, 03:29 PM
Hi,

Sounds like it's faulty. Definetly go to the Apple Store. However call the apple line first and make an appointment.

Cheers
Andrew

jamesatfish
13th November 2008, 03:34 PM
This happened with my 4Gb original iPhone - after about 12 months the lower portion of the screen stopped responding to touches. From a quick internet search it appeared this problem was relatively common in the early iPhones (mine was a week 26 2007 build). I tried plenty of software fixes (restores to different firmware versions etc) but nothing worked.

I took it to an Apple store in SF and it was replaced on the spot.

Moral of the story - it's a hardware problem. Take it back to the Apple Store and they should replace it for you.

chrsha01
13th November 2008, 03:36 PM
Time for an Apple Genius appointment I'd say (Chadstone)

ethania05
13th November 2008, 03:39 PM
Seems to be a common occurence with iPhones.

As above.

gtext
13th November 2008, 05:59 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice. Made a booking at the Genius bar Chadstone tomorrow.

gtext
14th November 2008, 02:17 PM
Update on yesterday.
Went to the Apple store Chadstone today, and got the iPhone swapped for a new one.
No hesitation or questions asked. Speedy, professional and efficient service. Took no longer than 10 min. Thanks Steve (I think that's his name).

I'm sure had I gone to telstra I'd be waiting weeks.

the_doctor
14th November 2008, 02:55 PM
Update on yesterday.
Went to the Apple store Chadstone today, and got the iPhone swapped for a new one.
No hesitation or questions asked. Speedy, professional and efficient service. Took no longer than 10 min. Thanks Steve (I think that's his name).

I'm sure had I gone to telstra I'd be waiting weeks.

Are you still locked to just Telstra?

What would have happened if you had had a Telstra bought but unlocked phone? Would the new one be locked to Telstra and then you'd have to pay to unlock again or would it be unlocked? I wonder.

gtext
14th November 2008, 06:04 PM
Are you still locked to just Telstra?

What would have happened if you had had a Telstra bought but unlocked phone? Would the new one be locked to Telstra and then you'd have to pay to unlock again or would it be unlocked? I wonder.

Yes the old one was and I imagine the new one would be.

I imagine if the old one was unlocked so would the new. I don't think you would pay a second time for a replacement phone as the old one would be effectively cancelled. Would be different if it was a new non replacement. Good question though.