PDA

View Full Version : No carrier option on 3 sim - Need Urgent Help!!!

Krimsonmyst
12th November 2008, 08:42 PM
I have an iPhone 3g I originally got on Optus, and got it legit unlocked and I've been using it with a 3 sim, upgraded it to a data plan, I have internet and it's all working sweet.

I'm going overseas in 2 weeks and have activated my international roaming, however my dad was playing with my phone the other day and noticed I have no carrier option in my settings menu. He seems to think that if I can't select my carrier overseas I won't be able to make or receive calls/text messages.

I put my original Optus sim in and I had a carrier option, I put my dad's 3 sim in and it had a carrier option, and I did a full restore on my phone (I hadn't done one since it was unlocked) and still, nothing would make my own phone have a carrier menu.

In short,
1. Is there any way anyone would know of to get me a carrier setting?
2. Do I HAVE to have a carrier option for it to work overseas?

Many thanks.

Huy
12th November 2008, 08:43 PM
1. Go to a carrier that allows this info to be read off the SIM. Carrier settings is not the same as being connected to a carrier (calls in/out, sms in/out, etc).
2. No. It will work.

Krimsonmyst
12th November 2008, 08:49 PM
1. Go to a carrier that allows this info to be read off the SIM. Carrier settings is not the same as being connected to a carrier (calls in/out, sms in/out, etc).
2. No. It will work.

Cool, just to clarify, not having a carrier option does not mean I can't use it overseas? Any idea why my dad's 3 sim would have a carrier menu and mine does not?

Also, im going overseas for business related things and not being able to use the phone would put my career in jeapordy :rolleyes:, you're sure I will have no issues? :confused:

Thanks again.

Huy
12th November 2008, 08:52 PM
Cool, just to clarify, not having a carrier option does not mean I cannot use it overseas?

You've just put three NOTs in there. :confused:

If you do NOT have the carrier option, it means that the iPhone cannot read this off the SIM and hence cannot display this option to you.

It means you CAN use this the iPhone overseas.

If the carrier option IS present, then you will be able to see it and play with it etc. It has nothing to do with whether it will work overseas or locally.

you're sure I will have no issues?

If it's unlocked, it's unlocked.

Krimsonmyst
12th November 2008, 08:53 PM
You've just put 3 NOTs in there. :confused:

If you do NOT have the carrier option, it means that the iPhone cannot read this off the SIM and hence cannot display this option to you.

It means you CAN use this the iPhone overseas.

If the carrier option IS present, then you will be able to see it and play with it etc. It has nothing to do with whether it will work overseas or locally.

Muchos Gracias.

You have been most helpful :)

Huy
12th November 2008, 08:54 PM
Just to be clear, you are referring to Carrier Settings, not 'Carrier' within Settings, right?

The latter should always be visible. Regardless.

I forgot if that's the right wording or not, since my SIM does not support this on iPhone 3G, but there is a difference between the two.

The former is for APN, Username etc, typically found in Settings>General>Network. The latter is for roaming/network selection.

In any case, it should not be a big deal because you are unlocked legitimately and it will accept SIMs from around the world.

MrJesseRoss
12th November 2008, 09:47 PM
Don't worry about carrier settings. I'm roaming with 3 at the moment. I didn't have to change anything myself. My phone picked up the 3 signal as soon as I hit London, and if it can't pick up 3, it switches to either Vodafone or Orange - whoever 3 has a deal with in the region.

mitty
12th November 2008, 09:58 PM
If you're worried about carrier settings not being a visible option, you can jailbreak and I believe there's a package that enables the options regardless of what sim/carrier you are using.

Krimsonmyst
12th November 2008, 11:20 PM
To clarify, im talking about the 'Carrier' option under the Settings menu. Its not there.

Is this different to what has been previously discussed?

Huy
12th November 2008, 11:21 PM
Yes it is something different.

No Carrier directly inside Settings is a little strange.

But if it picks up a signal then it should be fine.

remigi
12th November 2008, 11:27 PM
Hey Mate, here is ur sollution. I had the same problem as you when i first got my iPhone.

I got a telstra one, unlocked it through them and stuck my 3 sim in.. worked all fine and then i saw a friends and was like heeeyyy i dont have that carrier option.. that would be useful to swtich back from roaming faster etc... so i did a little research and testing...

Result: basically older 3 sim's will not give you the carrier option, i am not sure exactly what date onwards does but i had a 2004 sim that i used and the option did not come up. So i went to my three store and said if i could please have a new sim card because my current one isnt working properly in my iphone. the guy said sure and about 5 mins later i walked out with a new simcard... and even better he didnt charge me anything to do it!

So i waited 24 hrs like he said and then i got the "no signal" on my phone, so i switched the simcard over to the new one and voila i got the carrier option.

so basically, you need a newer simcard, as i said i dont no how far back but i think 2006/7 onwards should work otherwise just go get one.

Krimsonmyst
12th November 2008, 11:32 PM
Thanks a ton man - ill head out to a 3 store tomorrow and try that - if it works ill let you know - thanks again!! (incidentally which 3 store did you go to?)

remigi
12th November 2008, 11:43 PM
No problems :) i saw the question and i was like... YES I CAN HELP :D haha um well i live in Adelaide so i went to the one in the CBD... it was really busy and the dude was doing like 3 things at once so many thats why he didnt charge me... but i basically said that my current simcard isnt working properly in my iphone, its not giving me the carrier option i think its faulty and he just gave me a new one... so yea... but def let me know how u go!

Exocet
13th November 2008, 08:33 AM
3care can also mail you a replacement SIM.

Krimsonmyst
13th November 2008, 03:52 PM
Remigi you're a lifesaver man!

Went into the city 3 Shop (I live in Brisbane) explained the problem and the lovely girl there grabbed a new sim card and told me that my old one would stop working in about 4 hours, and to swap it over then.

Did so, and I have a carrier option!

Thanks a ton for all the help guys - cheers!

remigi
13th November 2008, 09:14 PM
Im glad i could help :D did you get it for free too?