PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 2.2 coming on November 21

Joey1983
12th November 2008, 05:59 AM
iPhone 2.2 coming on November 21...just in time for Thanksgiving | 9 to 5 Mac (http://www.9to5mac.com/iphone-2-2-coming-November-21)

P.S. This is from an unconfirmed source.

Features:

-New look for the Safari with the Google search bar now occupying its own space on the title bar (iPhone v2.2 beta1)
-Add toggle On / Off to disable the auto-correction (iPhone v2.2 beta1).
-461 Japanese emoji icons (iPhone v2.2 beta1).
-Support for new languages.
-The Line-in audio is activated and can be used through the headphone jack.
-New features of Maps.app:
Google Street View (iPhone v2.2 beta1).
Google Transit information - Routes public transport (iPhone v2.2 beta2).
Walking directions (iPhone v2.2 beta2).
Location sharing.
-New features of the App Store:
The sector 'Categories' now shows the icons of the applications instead of the list.
In each page of the application has been added by a button 'Tell A Friend' & 'Report A Problem'.
-Added the possibility of scoring the application when the user chooses to delete from the device (iPhone v2.2 beta2).
-Added the possibility for direct downloading of podcasts from the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store (iPhone v2.2 beta2).

tcn33
12th November 2008, 06:01 AM
...and no push :(

matthew858
12th November 2008, 06:01 AM
About time. Since I have had an iPhone, I have been spoilt with new features in every software update. Now whenever I update my mac, I get a bit disappointed as there are no new features.

forno
12th November 2008, 07:37 AM
that cant be the whole feature set?? surely!

vietnow
12th November 2008, 07:39 AM
line in! about time. this feature will really help me, i'm stoked; i wasn't even aware of the iphone having line in so this excites me, a lot.

now we all have a nice long 9 day wait, thanks for the heads up joe!! great post.

chrism238
12th November 2008, 08:20 AM
that cant be the whole feature set?? surely!It will also feel snappier.

tcn33
12th November 2008, 08:27 AM
It will also feel snappier.

Gold!

I do wonder how useful Street View will really be for the iPhone though - seems like it would be a bit pointless on such a small screen.

leon
12th November 2008, 08:38 AM
Is there anything in 2.2 that anyone actually gives a shit about. From what I have read of the so called "feature list", its just a bunch of bloatware crap.

Hopefully there are a number of boring back-end changes which will make the iPhone more stable, but so far I have been very unimpressed. Still 2.0 offers me nothing to warrant upgrading from 1.1.4.

Scooterpig
12th November 2008, 08:39 AM
I'm sure Currawong and the Japanese community will be happy with 461 emoji icons...:)

uncyherb
12th November 2008, 09:16 AM
Couldn't care less about 2.2 if there's no cut and paste.

Madone
12th November 2008, 09:21 AM
Can't wait to continue the iPhone journey. Also hoping that Apple ditches previous versions too, sick and tired of the me, me, me posts, I want this, and I want that, and fuck Apple.

To all those that say it, if you feel that way towards Apple, actions speak louder than idle threats. Enjoy your nokia, blackberry or whatever device you use instead.

How about, what is good about the iPhone... Now there's a thought!

dotComrade
12th November 2008, 09:21 AM
Is there any mention of bug fixes? or is this release purely for new, mostly meh, features?

Phase
12th November 2008, 09:31 AM
Please fix the 'music pauses at 2 seconds into the track if it's 320kbps' bug.

vietnow
12th November 2008, 09:39 AM
fix the 'music pauses at 2 seconds into the track if it's 320kbps' bug

i've never honestly come across that... and i've got PLENTY of 320kbps tracks (dj must have) - i usually preview the new beatport tracks i've d/led on my iphone before playing them out and i've never seen this issue.

forno
12th November 2008, 09:48 AM
I really dont have anything bad to say about my iPhone or my iPhone experience:thumbup:

BUT, surely there are more usefull feature that could be implemented than what you see below

iPhone 2.2 coming on November 21...just in time for Thanksgiving | 9 to 5 Mac (http://www.9to5mac.com/iphone-2-2-coming-November-21)

P.S. This is from an unconfirmed source.

Features:

-New look for the Safari with the Google search bar now occupying its own space on the title bar (iPhone v2.2 beta1)Nice but not essential
-Add toggle On / Off to disable the auto-correction (iPhone v2.2 beta1).Good idea
-461 Japanese emoji icons (iPhone v2.2 beta1).Hopefully it will be optional as most users wont need it
-Support for new languages.no issues
-The Line-in audio is activated and can be used through the headphone jack.Great idea
-New features of Maps.app:
Google Street View (iPhone v2.2 beta1).Hardly an os feature??
Google Transit information - Routes public transport (iPhone v2.2 beta2).Wonder how up to date Aus data will be
Walking directions (iPhone v2.2 beta2).Presume its just a pick to change the average speed? unless there is foot data there ie paths that cant be uised by vehicles
Location sharing.??
-New features of the App Store:
The sector 'Categories' now shows the icons of the applications instead of the list.
In each page of the application has been added by a button 'Tell A Friend' & 'Report A Problem'.
-Added the possibility of scoring the application when the user chooses to delete from the device (iPhone v2.2 beta2).
-Added the possibility for direct downloading of podcasts from the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store (iPhone v2.2 beta2).Good idea

VOOK
12th November 2008, 04:32 PM
How about they fix the slow as crap Youtube/Video Streaming over Wi-Fi?

Al Aero
12th November 2008, 04:40 PM
...and no push :(

No push is fucking balls!!

boo 2.2!!

a.

Piratbyran
12th November 2008, 04:43 PM
How about they fix the slow as crap Youtube/Video Streaming over Wi-Fi?

24mb/s connection, over wireless. Takes hours to load.

I agree with you.

jeremy_warnock
12th November 2008, 04:43 PM
and what about real vpn support apple??? - I want to use my proxy server when on my vpn and there is no way to do that

cjuiz
12th November 2008, 05:03 PM
I hope it fixes the problem with Safari crashing all the time. That's my only serious complaint about the iPhone at the moment.

titan44
12th November 2008, 05:07 PM
+1 for safari bugfix, really annoying

ipwn
12th November 2008, 05:19 PM
Can't wait to continue the iPhone journey. Also hoping that Apple ditches previous versions too, sick and tired of the me, me, me posts, I want this, and I want that, and fuck Apple.

To all those that say it, if you feel that way towards Apple, actions speak louder than idle threats. Enjoy your nokia, blackberry or whatever device you use instead.

I agree 100% what other device or company is dedicated to improvement and upgrade, apple are innovators and screw cut and paste crap, you haven't needed it that badly or you would have traded your iphone in already. and remember apple wont empty the whole bag of goodies at once, its smart marketing "NEW" and "FREE" will always keep you hanging on for the next update. and thus you wont get rid of your IPhone because that is what makes them addictive "what will they bring out next". I love 2.2 because it make way for 2.3 and thats what make apple great.

Rant
12th November 2008, 06:06 PM
Pains me to say it.
And Steve calling iPhone a player in the netbook market, is just rubbing salt in the very raw wound of 'no Copy & Paste' with his iPhone customers.

But... in the last update, Apple completely prevented Apps sharing data (unless they're Apple Apps of course).

This represents a significant step AWAY from being able to offer Copy & Paste.

Does anyone have any evidence that this release makes moves further away from or closer to - offering Copy & Paste.... a user accessible file system.... or any number of basic computer-like features in 2.2 ?

lenman74
12th November 2008, 06:17 PM
But... in the last update, Apple completely prevented Apps sharing data (unless they're Apple Apps of course).

is this for real. apple is starting to sound more monopolistic by the day

hmmmm

leon
12th November 2008, 06:17 PM
Apple were innovators, but since the iPhone was announced they have dropped the ball and their edge as far as I'm concerned. The iphone is great, but Steve seems to be holding its potential back for no real reason. Hopefully android 2.0 drives apple to pull their finger out. I guess it is quite costly to always be on the cutting edge of design and technology, but that is why I will pay a premium price for a premium product. These days it seems I'm not getting value for money.

lenman74
12th November 2008, 06:44 PM
Apple were innovators, but since the iPhone was announced they have dropped the ball and their edge as far as I'm concerned. The iphone is great, but Steve seems to be holding its potential back for no real reason. Hopefully android 2.0 drives apple to pull their finger out. I guess it is quite costly to always be on the cutting edge of design and technology, but that is why I will pay a premium price for a premium product. These days it seems I'm not getting value for money.

i wholeheartedly agree with this statement

Rant
12th November 2008, 06:57 PM
There may be a couple of possible reasons why Apple maintains such tight control over iPhone.

First & most likely - the processor isn't up to the job. It just won't run computer-like apps and Apple don't want people finding that out when they're selling it as a mobile computer. Hence discussion of the capabilities of the CPU is verboten by the NDA.

Second, the touch interface appears to be moving away from the GUI model - no menus, contextual menus instead. And while it's infinitely better than Microsoft's Vista abomination of an interface, the whole idea of a standard menu bar is that it is the most efficient way to offer commands to users and for users to find commands.

Thus a simplified set of possibilities for a limited mobile computer - but, shush don't tell the users.

Quamen
12th November 2008, 07:59 PM
This represents a significant step AWAY from being able to offer Copy & Paste.

Actually it's quite the opposite. Copy and Paste needs to be implemented by Apple at an OS level. Not as a third party hack.

If you really want it then head over to bugreport.apple.com and file a feature request, then wait for the email telling you it's a duplicate request. Whining in forums won't make Apple prioritize the Cut and Paste feature.

Rant
12th November 2008, 08:37 PM
Actually it's quite the opposite. Copy and Paste needs to be implemented by Apple at an OS level. Not as a third party hack.

If you really want it then head over to bugreport.apple.com and file a feature request, then wait for the email telling you it's a duplicate request. Whining in forums won't make Apple prioritize the Cut and Paste feature.

So that's a NO to any EVIDENCE to the contrary, then ?

I know Copy & Paste is a system level function. I've made my case that Apple is moving away from the familiar GUI model and that Copy & Past is unlikely.

Feel free to present any EVIDENCE you have that Apple is working on Copy & Paste.

David Turnedge
12th November 2008, 10:34 PM
The killer feature for iPhone will be audio driving directions...

Madone
12th November 2008, 10:38 PM
The killer feature for iPhone will be audio driving directions...

if you have a car!!

Joey1983
12th November 2008, 10:45 PM
"direct downloading of podcasts from the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store"

I guess this means we won't be able to download podcasts over 3G, Wi-Fi only :(

Also no mention of Tethering, hope this isn't an AT&T only feature...

These are the only 2 worthwhile reasons to Jailbreak IMO.

bennyling
12th November 2008, 10:59 PM
"direct downloading of podcasts from the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store"

I guess this means we won't be able to download podcasts over 3G, Wi-Fi only :(

10MB limit over 3G/EDGE/GPRS (ouch).

Also no mention of Tethering, hope this isn't an AT&T only feature...

These are the only 2 worthwhile reasons to Jailbreak IMO.

Indeed. Should be interesting how Apple plays this one.

bro2830
12th November 2008, 11:25 PM
Hopefully 2.2 will increase speed and performance. anything else is just a bonus for me. And honestly after owning an iPhone for nearly 12 months. I can't see the big deal about cut and paste. I am perfectly happy with or without it.

nando
13th November 2008, 08:55 AM
Hopefully 2.2 will increase speed and performance. anything else is just a bonus for me. And honestly after owning an iPhone for nearly 12 months. I can't see the big deal about cut and paste. I am perfectly happy with or without it.

finally 2.2 cant wait for next week....!
but truly i have had many ocassions where i needed to use cut and paste...
maybe some ppl have learned to live with it...
imagine..some one sends u via sms an address...
u can just cut and paste to maps....!

the_doctor
13th November 2008, 09:09 AM
<RANT>
I want TETHERING!!!

I want CUT AND PASTE!!!

I want SAFARI CRASH FIX!!!
</RANT OVER>

pengu
13th November 2008, 09:15 AM
if you have a car!!

the only reason I haven't got an iPhone yet is my (dying) SE P1i has TomTom on it, and it helps when getting around a new city (Melb).

bawpcwpn
13th November 2008, 04:21 PM
I think there is more a need now for cut and paste with the App Store and third party apps. Say a good blogging app was released, well I know that I'd need cut and paste for when copying quotes from people and url's to paste in, rather than write them down or remember them.

bennyling
13th November 2008, 04:57 PM
I think there is more a need now for cut and paste with the App Store and third party apps. Say a good blogging app was released, well I know that I'd need cut and paste for when copying quotes from people and url's to paste in, rather than write them down or remember them.

Agree wholeheartedly.

battye
13th November 2008, 05:01 PM

So that's why it's randomly pausing! I didn't realise it was the bitrate of the songs doing it, thanks for posting that.:)

VALANDI
13th November 2008, 07:58 PM
dissapointed - i just want cut and paste :(

Phase
13th November 2008, 08:42 PM
So that's why it's randomly pausing! I didn't realise it was the bitrate of the songs doing it, thanks for posting that.:)

That's what I've narrowed it down to.

I can actually replicate the bug by playing a certain track at 320kbps, then locking the phone. Exactly 2 seconds later, the music stops. Unlocking the screen, the tracker thinks its still playing, and the icon is still ready 'to be paused'. Pausing it does nothing, I have to close the iPod app, and reopen it.

Infinitely frustrating.

jack112006
13th November 2008, 10:05 PM

You should see what its like when the music is encoded at 1141kbps...

Phase
13th November 2008, 10:09 PM
You should see what its like when the music is encoded at 1141kbps...

Clearly an Audiophile I am not.

Plus, lmao. why would you bother. Bonus points if you use the included head set.

battye
13th November 2008, 10:46 PM
That's what I've narrowed it down to.

I can actually replicate the bug by playing a certain track at 320kbps, then locking the phone. Exactly 2 seconds later, the music stops. Unlocking the screen, the tracker thinks its still playing, and the icon is still ready 'to be paused'. Pausing it does nothing, I have to close the iPod app, and reopen it.

Infinitely frustrating.

Yes, that's exactly what happens to me. Everything you mentioned from pressing the sleep button to the weird pause icon. I don't have to close and open the iPod app though, have you tried just pressing the play/pause icon a couple of times repeatedly?

I usually unlock my phone to change to a different track, after which I always press the sleep button. It doesn't happen all the time and now that you mention 320kpbs it makes sense. Good pick up, hopefully Apple fix this :thumbup:

simplynick
21st November 2008, 11:31 AM
So is it actually coming today?

nando
21st November 2008, 12:13 PM
hmm me too am waiting...!?!?1
c'mon apple....!!
or was it a big lie from the hellas apple forum??
maybe apple though..."that wont be a surprise if they know the date of 2.2! lets surprise them...
like we did with the google app!!..lets release it ..."

hmmm....
all the blogs have gone hush....all of the sudden!

Huy
21st November 2008, 12:17 PM
It's not friday in the States yet.

kyncaid
21st November 2008, 12:23 PM
Do they have support for the new volume remote headphones yet. That isn't too much to ask for

mitty
21st November 2008, 12:47 PM
Do they have support for the new volume remote headphones yet. That isn't too much to ask for

I doubt they will. I'd imagine this requires additional hardware not just software. I hope I'm wrong but I have a feeling I'm not. If it's any consolation I'm sure the next iphone model will have the ability and Apple will be more than happy to sell you one ;)

Rant
21st November 2008, 12:53 PM
iTunes 8.0.2 is out (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/11/20/apple-releases-itunes-8-0-2/) !!

iPhone firmware update soon to follow...

twadds
21st November 2008, 12:56 PM
Downloading as we speak

uncyherb
21st November 2008, 01:23 PM
those following decryption will know something more about 2.2 now...

reemixx
21st November 2008, 01:29 PM
those following decryption will know something more about 2.2 now...

Indeed. The wait begins.

Ecto1
21st November 2008, 02:50 PM
I am guessing that 2.2 will not be out till after 11pm tonight AEDST, as that's 6am Cupertino time.

pitchdark
21st November 2008, 02:57 PM
I am guessing that 2.2 will not be out till after 11pm tonight AEDST, as that's 6am Cupertino time.

That's what happened for 2.1. I was able to get it around about 11pm.

Fingers crossed.

Samb0
21st November 2008, 03:00 PM
basically what you will find that america are about one day behind us. with software they release there time. if its a piece of hardware like the iphone 3G and had the set date of July 11th they had to take time-zones into consideration. so basically australia was one of the first countries to get the iphone 3G. Not Always certain.

EDIT:
I hope apple have packed a suprise in 2.2 something like Full Bluetooth support or something really exciting that will make people go YAY!!!!!!!

simplynick
21st November 2008, 03:21 PM
a nice little video will be nice like the xbox update the other day, although i have to say that video was crappy quality.. unlike the zune ad which was oozing with talent.

klif
21st November 2008, 03:49 PM
2.2 is now downloading in my fresh iTunes 8.02 install ;)

Rant
21st November 2008, 03:59 PM
now downloading iTunes for the Windows machine I support because it's on a 200MB/month internet plan... maybe I'll get to the iPhone update after that, I have to give them that too...

they have more internet on their iPhone than they have on their PC...

SubElement
21st November 2008, 04:09 PM
Yuppo, downloading now!

Official from the download:

iPhone 2.2 Software Update

This update contains many bug fixes and improvements, including the following:

Enhancements to Maps
- Google Street View
- public transit and walking directions
- display address of dropped pins
- share location via email

Enhancements to Mail
- resolved isolated issues with scheduled fetching of email
- improved formatting of wide HTML email

Improved stability and performance of Safari

Podcasts are now available for download in iTunes application (over Wi-Fi and cellular network)

Decrease in call set-up failures and call drops

Improved sound quality of visual voicemail messages

Pressing the Home button from any Home screen takes you to the first Home screen

Preference to turn on/off auto-correction in Keyboard Settings

tonyberinson
21st November 2008, 06:00 PM
any downloaders tried Pwnage on 2.2?

:-)

nigel
21st November 2008, 06:03 PM
Sitting on "Backing up TouchyFeely" for about 15 minutes so far...hmmmm. iPod Touch v2.1

All finished. Apart from Safari search field, nothing out of the ordinary yet.

Soliah
22nd November 2008, 09:29 AM
Updated fine on an iPhone 3G. Streetview is pretty cool.

tcn33
22nd November 2008, 09:33 AM
Discussion continued here (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/56/62439-iphone-2-2-firmware-now-available.html).