PDA

View Full Version : MBP 17" Update?

iCameron
11th November 2008, 05:28 PM
Is it like Apple to release the update to this? Possibly MacWorld 09

Or is the small 100MHz Processor update all that we're going to get?

Let me be the first to suggest

"MacBook Pro 17" NOW HD"

1080p screens for ALL 17" Lines. Incredibly likely as 16:9 panels are cheaper then 16:10.

Yes, i know they already make 1900x1200 screens but they don't have the backing of the known phrase HD behind it.

Yes, It's a crap theory but fun nonetheless.

tarky7
11th November 2008, 05:35 PM
i just got my 17" macbook pro:) loving it! personally i cant stand the new design so i thought i'd better quickly get the older one. Should last me a few years until apple go back to making matte screened lappys :)

pengu
11th November 2008, 06:26 PM
"MacBook Pro 17" NOW HD"

1080p screens for ALL 17" Lines. Incredibly likely as 16:9 panels are cheaper then 16:10.

Yes, i know they already make 1900x1200 screens but they don't have the backing of the known phrase HD behind it.

Yes, It's a crap theory but fun nonetheless.

Um. what?

Are you seriously suggesting they're going to released updated 17" laptops that replace the current models with a LOWER resolution? Oh yeah I can totally see that happening!

Actually they've been using the HD phrase with cinema displays for years, because they were HIGHER than that required to play back full-res HD (1080) and thus could playback HD content without down-scaling.

Arkhum_Eramak
11th November 2008, 07:23 PM
Yeah, I remember drooling over the Apple Cinema Display HD back when they were just released and a tad shy of ten grand, and they were 16:10 1920x1200.

The 17" will follow I'm sure. But look at the 17" history - the 12" and 17" AlBooks release whilst the TiBook continues to provide the 15" laptop of the line, the MacBook Pro is released leaving behind the iBook and 17" PowerBook, and now the 15" MacBook Pro again paves the way with a release before the 17" has probably even been thought about.

I guess that Apple's aim is to release what is a potentially risky and expensive machine in the least amount of forms possible, and then if things seem ok, you already know what to expect when just making the bigger version. I can't see the 17" being much different hardware wise, but I'm sure that they're just too expensive to have some stray mistake that was missed turn into a million warranty replacements.