PDA

View Full Version : No keyboard

Botox
11th November 2008, 02:35 PM
Hi all
Just returned to my Macbook ant the keyboard has completely ceased to function. Absolutely nothing works. Tried a restart and permission repair, still no keyboard. A USB mouse works, but that's all.

Any ideas?

Thanks

matthew858
11th November 2008, 02:41 PM
Faulty cable that connects the keyboard to the motherboard, or something is preventing the signal reaching the motherboard. See an Apple genius pronto.

LennyX
11th November 2008, 02:43 PM
Does the trackpad work and does an external keyboard work?

And it might be a stupid question, but is num lock on? I've thought my keyboard stopped working before but it was because num lock was on...

chrsha01
11th November 2008, 02:46 PM
Have you got the latest versions of all the updates?

These could help:

My Macbook keyboard not working ( i cant type word , cant wirte , i need help? - Yahoo! Answers (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080429083245AAWAirk)

MacMost - MacBook Keyboard Problem (http://macmost.com/macbook-keyboard-problem.html)

To my surprise, when I rebooted, my trackpad and keyboard were dead! Dead dead. Not even available for a PRAM reset during boot.
So I borrowed a USB keyboard and mouse, which worked fine. I tried several things, for two hours, until I found another MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update.app from Sept. 27, 2007. I installed that, which rolled me back, I guess. Then I got my keyboard and trackpad back.

Botox
11th November 2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks guys.
Track pad doesn't work either. Just about to plug in an external keyboard to see if that works.

Brains
11th November 2008, 04:07 PM
if both trackpad and keyboard are non-functional, the usual culprit is the topshell cable - it has either popped out of its pressure-fit connector (not unheard of) or broken (rare).

Try booting from your Mac OS X Install DVD and see if the keyboard & trackpad work there -- if they don't you have a hardware failure, and its time for your lappy to see the Apple doctors at your nearest friendly reseller.

Botox
11th November 2008, 09:02 PM
Hi again.
Thanks for all the advice. After leaving the computer off for a while and re-starting it was back to normal. Not convinced that it's solved the problem, but at least it's going for now. Once again, thanks for all your thoughtful suggestions.