PDA

View Full Version : Screen Sharing stopped working....?

forgie
11th November 2008, 11:14 AM
I have Leopard installed on a bunch of different macs at home. I have an intel mini running as a server, with nothing connected to it except for power and GbE. I can use VNC from any mac except my Mac Pro. My MP won't connect to it when I press the "Share Screen..." in the finder. If I go into Screen Sharing and manually enter the bonjour address, it won't work. If I manually enter the IP address, it brings up a "enter your username and password" dialog, and then tells me that the username and password are wrong.

It seems as though some cache or prefs file somewhere has corrupted/outdated information in it. It's a little strange though, since the IP and bonjour address of the Mini have been the same for some 6 months, and the MP was able to connect via VNC a month or so ago with no problems. The MP can ping the server, and SSH in with no problems.

Any ideas where to start looking for caches to clean out?

edit: I've tried deleting all the Keychain entries for the mini, but that didn't fix it.

adamd
11th November 2008, 11:33 AM
Try "com.apple.ScreenSharing.plist".

Just move it from "~/Library" to somewhere else.
Reboot both machines and have another crack at it.

forgie
11th November 2008, 01:54 PM
com.apple.ScreenSharing.plist doesn't have any host specific settings, it only has application wide settings in it.

macaholic
11th November 2008, 01:57 PM
Forgie, is AFP working, or is that broke too?

I am curious as I have a similar situation with just one computer on my (large) network.

forgie
11th November 2008, 02:02 PM
Forgie, is AFP working, or is that broke too?

I am curious as I have a similar situation with just one computer on my (large) network.
AFP works fine. SSH works fine. I can ping the server fine. I can access all of these services via both the bonjour address and the IP address. It's only screen sharing that isn't working, but only my MP, it works fine from other computers. I can use Screen Sharing from my MP to other mac without any problems.

When I try to connect from the MP to the Mini, the first time I click on "Share Screen...", Screen Sharing opens up, but with no window. When I click "Share Screen..." again, it opens up a VNC window with the name of my server, but it isn't actually connected in anyway. When I press it each time, there is a little bit of network activity, but only for an instant.

macaholic
11th November 2008, 02:24 PM
Hmm, in my case I am going to have to resort to an Archive Reinstall.

forgie
11th November 2008, 02:29 PM
Hmm, in my case I am going to have to resort to an Archive Reinstall.
Are you having a problem with a specific client/server combination like me, or are you having more general issues, like a specific server is unreachable from any client?

macaholic
11th November 2008, 02:38 PM
This particular machine (running client Leopard) suddenly stopped screen sharing, which is still enabled.
It also stopped AFP (548) in or out. However, it is an FTP (java) server and that still works fine (over 8080).
I haven't had the time to look at what other ports are broken.

forgie
11th November 2008, 03:01 PM
Have you tried restarting it? Restarting my Mini server didn't fix my issue...

macaholic
11th November 2008, 03:14 PM
Have you tried restarting it? Restarting my Mini server didn't fix my issue...

Yes.
Permissions, directories, caches, re-applied combo upater.
All no joy.
Archive install will be the only fix, it seems.

adamd
11th November 2008, 03:42 PM
Try this:

Utilities -> "Network Utility"
Port Scan.

Then test both the Bonjour name and the IP address. :)

forgie
11th November 2008, 04:22 PM
Try this:

Utilities -> "Network Utility"
Port Scan.

Then test both the Bonjour name and the IP address. :)
Both the IP and bonjour addresses are reporting that TCP port 5900 (VNC) is open. I don't think it's something with the server itself, since every other mac can connect without any problem.

adamd
11th November 2008, 05:42 PM
That sucks...

I got nothing else... Maybe try restarting the problematic computer.
Thats all I can think of.

forgie
11th November 2008, 05:58 PM
That sucks...

I got nothing else... Maybe try restarting the problematic computer.
Thats all I can think of.
That's the only thing I haven't tried, I've been using my MP all day and can't really restart it until tomorrow. I'll try again on a fresh boot.

forgie
12th November 2008, 02:15 PM
Restarting didn't fix it. Hmm. Very strange indeed...

forgie
24th November 2008, 10:29 AM
Now it's happening from another mac - it must be an issue with the Mini server itself.

forgie
24th November 2008, 01:49 PM
I precariously re-positioned the Mac Mini on my desk and hooked up a VGA cable.... when I went into the Screen Sharing prefs, it had "Only these users:" selected under "Allow access for:". The weird part is that the only user in that list is not actually a user account on that computer. It had the name of the user account on my Mac Pro, which definitely does NOT exist in /Users/ on the Mac Mini. WTF. There's only one account anyway, so I just selected "All users", and it all started working again.