PDA

View Full Version : RIP my ibook?

johr
11th November 2008, 08:20 AM
Hi all, I think my ibook (2004 g4, 1.2ghz) has finally died but thought I should check with the experts. As of this morning when I turn it on it doesn't progress beyond the grey screen with the apple logo and that little circle/line thingy. I overcame the periodic freezing I wrote about in an earlier thread, but in recent weeks/months the ibook has been buzzing quite loudly and making other odd noises. I have tried the following:
1. Reset PRAM & NVRAM
2. Reset PMU
3. Ran apple hardware test (from cd). It found no hardware errors!
4. Tried accessing hard disk in target mode to no avail. Ibook went into target mode but wasn't registered by the macbook i had it connected to. When I tried a second time the macbook did register the install disk I had left in the ibook's superdrive.
5. Tried to boot off install disk. The "welcome to the mac osx installer" window comes up but neither the continue button nor the menus respond to mouse clicks.

Is there anything else I should try or does this sound like the end? (I imagine repair costs for this would exceed its value).

Thanks for your help once again!

darksplat
11th November 2008, 08:24 AM
Try replacing the cmos battery it sounds like this could be a problem if everything else fails

johr
12th November 2008, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the tip - I hadn't heard of this before but I'll give it a go.

STK
12th November 2008, 10:00 AM
is there ticking sounds from the hard drive? Sounds like it's failing

johr
12th November 2008, 02:29 PM
Yes I'm guessing its coming from the hard drive - especially seeing as it doesn't register on other computers when I put my ibook into target mode. As far as I understand swapping the hard drive on these early ibooks (2004) is a bit of a DIY ordeal (particularly for someone like me!) and relatively expensive to have done professionally.

STK
12th November 2008, 03:17 PM
Yes I'm guessing its coming from the hard drive - especially seeing as it doesn't register on other computers when I put my ibook into target mode. As far as I understand swapping the hard drive on these early ibooks (2004) is a bit of a DIY ordeal (particularly for someone like me!) and relatively expensive to have done professionally.

pretty much.

try ifixit.com

Byrd
12th November 2008, 04:11 PM
It is easier to install a HD (which sounds like your fault) in later model G4 iBooks than earlier models; however if you take your time, mark off where every screw goes, it'll take a couple of hours to do but be rewarding.

JB

MacRobbo
12th November 2008, 04:25 PM
Hope you fix it, iBooks are great machines....i know there old but damn, wish I had one lol.

johr
13th November 2008, 12:11 PM
I agree MacRobbo, the ibook was my first (and so far only mac) but I'm sold. It sounds like replacing the hdd could be an interesting project, but I might have to put it off for when I have bit more spare time...
Thanks

AfterBurner_1
13th November 2008, 12:51 PM
I have genesis right here. just upgraded it to 10.4.11 goinf well although she is a littel worse for wear.
I have the original iBook Dual USB, the notebook that started it all(netbooks).

Macmadman
14th November 2008, 11:07 AM
You can never kill an iBook they just keep on livin. Had one before I changed to a imac and the poor thing copped about 10 drops off the table :(

If its your HDD then your up for quite a job, i know its under about 3 layers of things you gotta take off.

DarkSpark
14th November 2008, 11:29 AM
You can never kill an iBook they just keep on livin. Had one before I changed to a imac and the poor thing copped about 10 drops off the table :(

If its your HDD then your up for quite a job, i know its under about 3 layers of things you gotta take off.

I have to agree with that, I don't yet have a Mac but I am very familiar with Grahams ibook, so I would be doing everything I could to extend it's life. It' only worth a couple of hundred bucks tops, and would do me fine as a first Mac, but He won't part with it, no matter how much I beg.

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/29/43118-laptop-reliability.html