PDA

View Full Version : What Graphics Design Software?



warren21
7th May 2005, 09:41 AM
Good morning Appletalk.

A friend of mine is about to make the switch from PC to Mac. She is going to buy a 20" iMac. Now, she is really into graphics and design. She hasn't actually studdied graphic design but wanted me to find out what software there is out there for the Mac. I'm not sure what she is using at the moment but alot of the stuff she dabbles in is more of the printed matter say like poster design, logos, invitations, birthday cards etc.

She would be very greatful if you could recommend some software of this variety.

Cheers. :)

vid
7th May 2005, 09:51 AM
It's pretty obvious I guess But Adobe Creative Suite is VERY good, it has Photoshop (once you get used to it, it is quite amazing what you can do with it.
InDesign (great for brochures/page layouts etc) Go Live (good web design package) Image Ready (good for getting images ready for the web) +Illustrator+Acrobat.

The only drawback is the price, but in my opinion it IS worth it!

Good Luck in your decision.

ooda
7th May 2005, 10:11 AM
Pick up the Adobe Creative Suite. The competitors are very far behind, with the only real competitior, Macromedia, recently being bought out by Adobe, it makes the decision even easier.

All the marketplaces uses only Adobe, unless you count SA (which nobody does :P)

vid
7th May 2005, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by ooda@May 7 2005, 10:41 AM
All the marketplaces uses only Adobe, unless you count SA (which nobody does :P)
Not sure what you mean by "Marketplace" and do you mean South Australia, if so are you saying NO ONE in SA uses CS?

mappleby
7th May 2005, 10:19 AM
As a professional Graphic Artist I agree with Vid. Adobe CS is the only way to go. The only other option is Quark Xpress but that is way more expensive and typographically not as good as InDesign.

DO NOT go the Coreldraw rout, I've never been in a studio where it's even loaded onto a machine.

Hope this helps.

warren21
7th May 2005, 10:26 AM
Thank you,

I'm sure she'll be happy with this information.

marc
7th May 2005, 11:26 AM
I agree with everyone here... for print design work it's InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop all the way (ie. Adobe Creative Suite).

There's nothing else I've ever seen used by anyone serious in the industry (highly specialized software excluded).

neilrobinson
7th May 2005, 11:45 AM
<rant>
hey hey corel draw is great for what it does. It is not an indesign replacement it is an illustrator replacement. I use it at work where i have the choice between illustrator & corel&#33; :thumbup:
</rant>

For general design use you cant go past the adobe cs suite&#33; everything @ 1/3 price of quark.

vargz
7th May 2005, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by ooda@May 7 2005, 10:11 AM
All the marketplaces uses only Adobe, unless you count SA (which nobody does :P)
Yeah who/what the hell are you talking about when you say "SA"??&#33;&#33;

ooda
7th May 2005, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by vargz@May 7 2005, 11:46 AM
Yeah who/what the hell are you talking about when you say "SA"??&#33;&#33;
Well, I was generalizing, and I should have taken photoshop out of the equation, but I know South Australia is one of the least Adobe-centric states. Freehand is used plenty whereas everywhere else it&#39;s Illustrator.

mappleby
7th May 2005, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by neilrobinson@May 7 2005, 11:45 AM
<rant>
hey hey corel draw is great for what it does. It is not an indesign replacement it is an illustrator replacement. I use it at work where i have the choice between illustrator & corel&#33; :thumbup:
</rant>

For general design use you cant go past the adobe cs suite&#33; everything @ 1/3 price of quark.
No offense meant. Just stating my experience.

vargz
7th May 2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by ooda@May 7 2005, 12:32 PM
but I know South Australia is one of the least Adobe-centric states.
Ok... im not getting defensive nor parochial but how do you gather this? From my expereince in both uni and now in the work force, Adobe products are widely used.

The Abobe Roadshows and Macromedia Seminars held in Adelaide each year are always very well attended, with the last Macromedia web solutions seminar being held only in Adelaide (of the whole of Aust) and Auckland.

ooda
7th May 2005, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by vargz@May 7 2005, 01:39 PM
Ok... im not getting defensive nor parochial but how do you gather this? From my expereince in both uni and now in the work force, Adobe products are widely used.

The Abobe Roadshows and Macromedia Seminars held in Adelaide each year are always very well attended, with the last Macromedia web solutions seminar being held only in Adelaide (of the whole of Aust) and Auckland.
I get this from listening to what people have been saying over at Australian inFront, which is basically the online hub of Australian design. What you say in your post also shows how Macromedia orientated SA is, considering that they only visited Adelaide, and neglecting design hubs like Melbourne.

But I&#39;m not writing in anger, just giving my views.