PDA

View Full Version : Sound Device Selection

House
7th May 2005, 05:55 AM
Heyas,
I'm using the Logitech USB headset I got with the SOCOM PS2 game for Skype, voice recording and EchoLink (an amateur radio thing). Occasionally watching vids in VLC too.

I really don't like going into Preferences all the time to change the active Sound Output device. Is there any quicker way to do this? A keyboard shortcut perhaps?

Currawong
7th May 2005, 07:03 AM
Yes, I have a USB headset and have the same issue, but managed to find SoundSource (http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/). I found though that sometimes in OSX the source doesn't switch when told, so you have to switch it to whatever device the soundi is coming in or out of, then switch it back.

Flinders1231
7th May 2005, 08:00 AM
Yes SoundSource is one of the best little applications I have had on my iMac (switched beginning this year) ... but yes I too often found it would not do the sound source change - this was invariably when I need to rearrange my Audio most urgently, ... say when a Skype call arrived.

Just last night I changed from SoundSource (Freeware) to Detour from the same people $12 US, ... it allows you to select Audio options for each application so you (say) specify that Skype always to go to headphones. In SoundSource sound options are generic.

Because of this application specific approach of Detour it may be a way of getting around the glitch the Sound Source has. Detour may also have problems of changing on the fly, but have not used it enough to know.

[In passing with PC version of Skype you get can call/ring sound to ring on speakers, but sound/voice go to headphones which is obviously very useful if you move away from your PC but want to be alerted to incoming calls. I do not think this can be done with Mac version?]

The other part of my changes yesterday was to buy iMIC which is a USB device which will process both inputs & output, ... but it is headphone independant ... so no software like the Plantronics USB Headphones I was using previously. Also other advantage with iMic is its an easier matter to plug in my relatively expensive (but comfortable) Bose headphones to listen to music, but then unplug to use a standard pair of Logitech mic/head phones if I choose to go in that direction. Actually for Skype I use headphones for incoming sound & system mic for output, ... this seems to work okay.

By the way iMic is quite expensive ... new price in Australia $70-$80 (Price in USA is $34!) ... you can probably pick up imic on eBay or similar for half or less of the new price!

House
7th May 2005, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the replies, I'll take a look at SoundSource and grab the iMic when I come across one, just to give me a wider choice of headsets. It'll make it easier to connect my radio to my iBook for digital uses too.