PDA

View Full Version : YouTube slow video downloading?

ChrisG
9th November 2008, 07:35 PM
Is it just me or does everyone find that when you watch YouTube videos via a wifi connection on the iPhone 3G it's slow? Are there any techniques you use to improve the speed of downloading YouTube videos?

chaosboi
9th November 2008, 07:46 PM
YouTube uses 'High Quality' video when watching via WiFI and 'Low Quality' when on 3G.
It sucks that the High Quality doesn't buffer fast enough on the iPhone, and have no idea why not.

Ecto1
9th November 2008, 08:29 PM
I am not sure if it on the iphone end or youtube end, but it not just youtube videos that this happens on. It's every video site that take use of the youtube app.

simplynick
9th November 2008, 08:36 PM
yeh same deal here so I just switch to 3g for YouTube I don't care too much about YouTube quality

battye
9th November 2008, 11:11 PM
I've decided it's worth the 5 or 10mb to just watch it over 3G instead. Hell of a lot quicker.

jrad
10th November 2008, 12:35 AM
I've found a flaw in the YouTube app... if you're connected to an AdHoc network for whatever reason, the iPhone still gets its internet from 3G (doesn't show WiFi icon) but downloads WiFi quality... eats the crap out of your data limit...!

KevL
10th November 2008, 10:09 AM
Is it just me or does everyone find that when you watch YouTube videos via a wifi connection on the iPhone 3G it's slow? Are there any techniques you use to improve the speed of downloading YouTube videos?

This has been reported by many on the net.
Oddly, the most common fix is to change your wireless network to wireless B instead of G and Youtube flies.It certainly fixes the issue for me.
I don't understand why it works better but the experts have a reason. Google will provide the answer I suppose.

Kev