PDA

View Full Version : VMware Fusion 2.0 "OEM"

dawsman
9th November 2008, 07:01 PM
Hi all

I've managed to locate a reasonably priced copy of VMware Fusion 2.0 "OEM only".

I already have the Fusion 2.0 beta installed and working. My question is, will the above come with a serial number that I can use to activate the trial? Or will I need to remove and reinstall the OEM version?

I definitely don't want to remove and reinstall because I don't want to have to reactivate Windows XP, Office 2003 etc. in Fusion.

Cheers

Wally
9th November 2008, 07:03 PM
You should be able to just activate the trial with the serial number provided as you said.

Wally

dawsman
10th November 2008, 11:44 AM
Here are the prices I found (AUD) for VMware Fusion 2, for those who are interested. Much better than paying AU$130 on the VMware website!

InstantIT - Australian Online Computer Hardware/Software Store (http://www.instantit.com.au)

Page 1 - Listing Product 1 to 3 of 3 Products

VMFM20CD VMware Fusion 2.0 OEM Only $71.17

VMFM20BX2I VMware Fusion 2.0 Retail $95.37

VMFM20BX2E.. VMware Fusion 2.0 Education $49.83

I've just orderd the Education version (I'm affiliated with a university) so I will post my order experience when/if I receive the product.

dawsman
11th November 2008, 09:59 PM
Received today (fast!).

Education version - AU$66 delivered. Bargain! As far as I am aware they didn't even verify my academic affiliation.

Entered the serial number on the CD case into the trial version and it worked, no worries.

I can highly recommend instantit.com.au

Sebastianmonty
11th November 2008, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the head ups

Syrecx
13th November 2008, 02:08 PM
U sure you dont have to activate it? I'm willing to try....and order EDU....but whats the worst that can happen?

dawsman
13th November 2008, 03:19 PM
U sure you dont have to activate it? I'm willing to try....and order EDU....but whats the worst that can happen?

Nope. I've had the trial version installed for almost a month. Then I bought the education version, entered the serial number on the CD into the trial, and it worked - no probs.

Go ahead and buy it - I guarantee it will work :thumbup:

micaros
21st November 2008, 10:31 AM
Also, you can get the Academic Version directly from the Fusion Academic Store (need to enter name of University and an email address) for essentially the same price once you include shipping ($64 at today's exchange rate at least). You can choose AUD for billing too.

VMware Academic Store - VMware (http://www.vmware.com/vmwarestore/academicstore.html)

mitty
21st November 2008, 10:57 AM
Even if you did have to reinstall VMware, you could just keep the virtual machines separate and then use use them with the new software once it's installed. The virtual Machines themselves are completely portable... you could copy one and use it on another Mac with another copy of VMware if you wanted to (though the legalities of licencing etc are obviously relevant if you do).

dawsman
22nd November 2008, 05:43 PM
Even if you did have to reinstall VMware, you could just keep the virtual machines separate and then use use them with the new software once it's installed. The virtual Machines themselves are completely portable... you could copy one and use it on another Mac with another copy of VMware if you wanted to (though the legalities of licencing etc are obviously relevant if you do).

Does this hold true if your Bootcamp partition is your virtual machine?

purana
22nd November 2008, 06:23 PM
Does this hold true if your Bootcamp partition is your virtual machine?

Which part does what hold true? If you clarify your question, I'll be able to answer it.

dawsman
22nd November 2008, 10:35 PM
What I meant was can you transfer "settings" for a Bootcamp VM so that you don't have to reactivate Windows, MS Office etc... For instance, if I had to uninstall and then reinstall Fusion for some reason, can the reactivations be avoided?

If this is possible, can it be done if switching between Fusion and Parallels?