PDA

View Full Version : my iMac is slowing down! Please help!

glenmorrow
9th November 2008, 02:58 PM
Hey guys
My iMac coreduo 20" has just started to really slow down. It is fine for some things but certain things like audio editing, and even just using Finder have started to take a while, there's either a bit of lag or it just slows right down.

The machine is running 10.5.5, has a 250gb HDD, 1gb RAM, and has a 2ghz Core Duo processor.

Do I have to do a reformat? It's only started getting like this in the last few weeks.

Cheers, Glen.

Mutters
9th November 2008, 03:13 PM
How much free space is left on the HD?

Do you need to empty your trash?

Sometimes a restart will smarten things up.

mutters

glenmorrow
9th November 2008, 03:17 PM
50gb left ono HDD and yeah emptied the trash, done the usual permissions repairs. Maybe it is time for a re-format. I should probably put an extra 1gb of RAM in it but I just want to get it back to where it was previously.

Glen

Mutters
9th November 2008, 03:25 PM
Check your Activity Monitor. There maybe something soaking up cycles - like Safari can, and does.

mutters

Wally
9th November 2008, 03:29 PM
You shouldn't need to reformat, thats always something you don't want to do..

As Mutters said, check your Activity Monitor, I'll add that you run a Disk Utility Repair.

Wally

halledise
9th November 2008, 03:29 PM
you don't have to do a format, but an erase & install is a great way to go to restore a Mac to the same snappy feel you once enjoyed

make sure you up-back first.

if you do a time machine backup/restore, you'll only inherit the same probs as you have now.
just transfer yr home folder (exporting an Address Book and iCal backup to your Documents folder first) holus-bolus to another Mac or external HD and away you go.

it's a most satisfying exercise to do from time to time and only takes a couple hours - esp when you ain't under any pressure

Syrecx
13th November 2008, 02:10 PM
how do u do an erase and install?!

glenmorrow
13th November 2008, 02:22 PM
Well you put the original DVDs in, boot from the super drive and it gives you the option. The important things are to ensure you have your user account backed up and you know all your applications/serial numbers/etc.

Thanks for everyone's help. I think the re-format might actually be the way to go and just start over. It's just not 'snappy' like it used to be.

And the pressure is off now uni has finished for the year.

Thanks for everyones' help.

Glen