PDA

View Full Version : flash display issues within IE 5.2.3 - help!

Bexford
8th November 2008, 11:53 AM
Hi there

I am having issues with my new website - the flash components are not displaying in IE 5.2.3 - so I get th eplug in error message - despite downloading the correct plug-in, still getting the error message!

the site works seamlessly in FF, Opera and Safari (of course) - but the usual MS issues abound! am about to text the site on a PC running IE 7.0 but any ideas how I can get this to display ok on my mac?

am running 10.3.9 (I know I know, must upgrade!) - and the Flash Files are created in MX2004.

any help much appreciated!
Bexford

avolve
8th November 2008, 11:58 AM
IE is the bane of many a designer/developers existence.

I have a similar issue (and a couple others) as yet unresolved in IE (and some in Opera)—www.wcan.org.au

hillsdweller
8th November 2008, 06:04 PM
IE 5.2 is 5 years old and no longer supported by Microsoft. Check your web stats and see how many people are still using it - it would be a miniscule amount.

IE 5 is virtually dead on Windows so on Macs I wouldn't be worrying too much about supporting it.

adamd
8th November 2008, 07:41 PM
Who uses IE 5.5?

The oldest browsers on my web stats are FireFox 0.8 (I know, I too was like WTF), and IE 6.

SyncMan
9th November 2008, 05:47 AM
Flash Files are created in MX2004.

And that might be your problem as well.

visional_studios
9th November 2008, 06:19 AM
Seriously dude, it's IE 5 (and on mac) - who gives a shit. No one uses it. Focus on Safari, Firefox, Opera and IE 6+

I've been writing XHTML + CSS for years, and have not given a thought to IE 5 for a long time.

Bexford
9th November 2008, 07:35 AM
hi guys - thanks for all the feedback - I know, to be concerned about it seems a bit daft but according to my stats - just under 5% of visitors are using it - so they ARE out there - scary thought i know!

one quick q to SyncMan - why do you feel MX2004 is an issue?? am interested in that statement!

cheers!
Bex

Bexford
9th November 2008, 08:04 AM
grrrrrrrrrr - now having issues within Safari - error loading message as follows:

attempted to load an Internet plug-in named “Shockwave for Director”, but the plug-in failed to load successfully.

I have installed the shockwave plug-in (v10 as am on a PPC running 10.3.9) - it's clearly all there in the internet plugins file - but is not working.

getting a little cheesed off now fer sure!

any help to save my sanity would be great......Bexford

visional_studios
9th November 2008, 08:13 AM
Hmm... what is the file extension of the object you're trying to embed? "Shockwave for director", something funny is going on there.

Maybe paste in your code and we can have a look for you.

Bexford
9th November 2008, 08:24 AM
I agree! seems very odd to me....ok on my home page there are 3 flash components.....all of which carry the .swf file extension.

here is the code for the first element:

codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/director/sw.cab#version=8,5,0,0" width="600" height="110">
<param name="src" value="top_banner.swf">
<embed src="top_banner.swf" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/" width="600" height="110"></embed></object>

does that help?! I am no coder but am not sure why it has a macromedia string (my guess is that is because MX 2004 was pre the adobe buyout??) - therefore this url is the problem?????

if you want to view any other section of the site: justsoho graphic design: fixed price design packages, adelaide logo design, logo design australia (http://www.justsoho.com.au)

many thanks for all your help!
Bex

Bexford
9th November 2008, 09:01 AM
just to let you all know - have just tested in IE 7 on a PC and same issue - not displaying the flash components at all. the shockwave player icon is in situ - and its grinding to download - has been open now for almost 20mins and still nothing is displaying - therefore I can quite confidently say - not one potential customer would have waited around that long!

Bex

geektechnu
9th November 2008, 10:17 AM
codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/director/sw.cab#version=8,5,0,0" width="600" height="110">
<param name="src" value="top_banner.swf">
<embed src="top_banner.swf" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/" width="600" height="110"></embed></object>

There's the problem - that code indicates that you're trying to play Flash content using the Shockwave plugin, which won't work.

Shockwave content (DIR/DXR/DCR) => Shockwave plugin
Flash content (SWF) => Flash Player plugin

You need to embed the SWF using the Flash Player plugin:

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0" width="320" height="240">
<param name="movie" value="top_banner.swf" />
<embed src="top_banner.swf" width="320" height="240" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
</object>

Alternatively, you should also be able to use the following code, which is simpler.
(Haven't tried this in IE5 though).

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash
data="top_banner.swf"
width="400" height="300">
<param name="movie"
value="top_banner.swf" />
</object>

Bexford
9th November 2008, 10:31 AM
many many thanks - will test this out now!

I really appreciate your help - will let you know how I go!

Bexford

geektechnu
9th November 2008, 10:48 AM
according to my stats - just under 5% of visitors are using it - so they ARE out there - scary thought i know!
I would like to know you you are measuring your browser statistics. 5% is disproportionately high. This may be an abnormality from your specific target market, or the stats are skewed.

Most global stats sites have Safari pegged at around 2-6%.
IE 5.x on PC usually comes in at distant ~0.5%

IE 5.2.3 (IE Mac) is a completely different browser. It is used so little these days that major browser stat sites don't even track it separately any more. Last figure I can recall was somewhere in the range of ~0.05% (and that would have been a year or more ago).

Pretty sure at the height of IE 5.2.3's popularity, Mac didn't even have 5% share.
From this I'm pretty sure IE 5.2.3 never had a proven global market share greater than 2-4%.

Bexford
9th November 2008, 12:51 PM
Hi again

the stats I am getting from my hosting company - my figures are dreadful overall (prob because those trying to view in IE 6+ were lost on the home page!)- but approx 65% of my visitors are via FF - 23% via IE (of which just under 5% as I said are v5) - the remainder a spread over safari, opera and misc.

as I was wrestling with the code above - I went back into my index.html through dreamweaver - and realised where i have gone fundamentally wrong from the beginning - when i was embedding the .swf files, I was selecting them as "shockwave" files, as opposed to flash (doh) - hence the odd code you flagged earlier!

rather than manually change the code (as I felt less comfy doing that) - i figured the easiest way round this was to re-embed using the flash setting, and re-upload the relevant html files. a quick html test file later - the flash components ARE viewing in Safari and IE7 perfectly so that's fantastic!

one slight problem is with the upper banner on my index page - it's not displaying correctly - so I need to work out why - a couple of buttons are missing etc but am getting there!

again, a very big thank you for spotting the issue!

bexford

mab
9th November 2008, 12:58 PM
Hi again

the stats I am getting from my hosting company - my figures are dreadful overall (prob because those trying to view in IE 6+ were lost on the home page!)- but approx 65% of my visitors are via FF - 23% via IE (of which just under 5% as I said are v5) - the remainder a spread over safari, opera and misc.

Are you sure that the 5% isn't you testing the pages with IE 5?

Bexford
9th November 2008, 01:11 PM
i think that's a possibility yes! if I can get this issue sorted with the top banner - am good to go!

for some reason when I download the index file from the server to make the adjustment to the embedding process for the .swf files - the swf file in there is incorrect! is v odd as I am not sure why it's displaying correctly "live" - as the dreamweaver file is showing something totally different!

gotta love technology - sort one major issue - and another appears!

Bex

SyncMan
9th November 2008, 02:30 PM
one quick q to SyncMan - why do you feel MX2004 is an issue?? am interested in that statement!

Well I am not going to into all the details, as it's something that I would be paid to advise on, but the bottom line is that nothing stands still in the land of Internet and MX2004 is a point in time that has long gone.

Some of the answers can also be seen in the other posts after yours that I am replying to.

Some of the answers relate to a whole chapter of Internet history that should never have happened, the whole "Active Content" debacle...

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/activecontent/articles/devletter.html