PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 3G/ Me Push eMail Probs

Jay
7th November 2008, 07:59 AM
Hi guys,
I ve got a strange problem. My me.com email is not getting pushed. I believe it all started after I got my original phone replaced due to dropped calls. Ofcourse I am on Optus...
So I took my phone to Apple Store. We tried to test push for my account on one of the Apple Genius' phone and it worked. Tried to set his account on my phone and it didnt work. So the guy acknowledged it prob related to the phone and swapped a new phone for me . . However the prob didnt get resolved . . I wonder if the problem was actually related to Optus SSSSSSLLLOOOW speeds where the package data for the push doesnt reach the phone due to the network probs.
My prob exists even when I am connected to WIFI. I suspect the push data gets transmitted through cellular data than WIFI. Even when I tried to set the phone to fetch every 1 hour my emails are not getting pulled. My mail only gets manually checked each time I go into mail...
Has any one else had same issues? Is it related to Optus? I have tried to restore my phone several times and I have set it as a new phone. Still the push is just not working . .

Xenophos
7th November 2008, 08:53 AM
I'm with Optus but haven't had that problem. I don't see how wifi would be hooked into the cell network, it's coming through the same pipes as goes to your Mac. Sorry, but not sure you can blame them this time around! Good luck.

reemixx
7th November 2008, 09:07 AM
If it happens even on WiFi, then it's definitely not Optus. It's likely something to do with your MobileMe settings.

Are your emails getting pushed to your computer?

tcn33
7th November 2008, 09:09 AM
When I had the same issue I fixed it by setting up my MobileMe account on a different iPhone. It pushed immediately, then started pushing to my original iPhone as well - no idea how or why it worked, but it did. Sounds like you've already tried this, but as you've had your iPhone replaced since then it might be worth a try.

gelfie
7th November 2008, 12:57 PM
Since 2.1 I don't think fetch or push (not sure of the second) actually operate when the phone is in standby/sleep.

I only get my emails when the unit is being used in some way (web, phone, iPod, some app etc..)

I think it's part of the battery saving features.

reemixx
7th November 2008, 01:05 PM
Since 2.1 I don't think fetch or push (not sure of the second) actually operate when the phone is in standby/sleep.

I only get my emails when the unit is being used in some way (web, phone, iPod, some app etc..)

I think it's part of the battery saving features.

My MobileMe email gets pushed through onto my iPhone just fine, even when in Standby. That's how it's supposed to work. If it's not doing this then there's something up with it.

Lumus
7th November 2008, 01:46 PM
Push via wifi while the phone is sleeping only works when the phone is being charged afaik.

reemixx
7th November 2008, 01:59 PM
Push via wifi while the phone is sleeping only works when the phone is being charged afaik.

Mine does it while not being charged.

Jay
7th November 2008, 06:08 PM
Push has started to work in my phone. A bit unpredictable. Sometimes it comes straight away, some times it takes a while. I think push depends on the network data even when you are connected to WIFI. Atleast that's what I believe. It will be worthwhile if guys using Telstra and Vodafone are experiencing issues or it is just with Optus.
While I was at the Apple store, when the Genius guy set his account in my phone (he had his account in his phone anyway), with both our phones connected to the apple store's WIFI, the push worked in his but not on mine . .The one thing I didnt ask him was what network his phone was with . .
An interesting thing I noted when I went to the Apple Store this week: Their display iPhones are connected either to Telstra or Vodafone none on Optus!!! ( I went there on 05/11/2008)

reemixx
7th November 2008, 06:19 PM
I think push depends on the network data even when you are connected to WIFI.

No, it has nothing to do with your phone network. If you have WiFi enabled and it is connected, then 3G or GPRS will take a back seat and only WiFi will be used. Just remember that when your iPhone is in sleep mode, WiFi gets disabled to save battery, and the next fastest data connection will take over. So this might have something to do with the problems you're experiencing. Check to see if it only happens while your iPhone is in sleep mode.

Jay
7th November 2008, 06:46 PM
No, it has nothing to do with your phone network. If you have WiFi enabled and it is connected, then 3G or GPRS will take a back seat and only WiFi will be used. Just remember that when your iPhone is in sleep mode, WiFi gets disabled to save battery, and the next fastest data connection will take over. So this might have something to do with the problems you're experiencing. Check to see if it only happens while your iPhone is in sleep mode.

That makes sense. So even though my phone is connected to WiFi, when it sleeps, WiFi is disabled. Hence push has to depend on Optus , , due to the slow GPRS speed, the push packet gets delayed or doesnt make it to the phone . .

reemixx
7th November 2008, 10:17 PM
That makes sense. So even though my phone is connected to WiFi, when it sleeps, WiFi is disabled. Hence push has to depend on Optus , , due to the slow GPRS speed, the push packet gets delayed or doesnt make it to the phone . .

Possibly, yes. If it's only happening during sleep mode, that would make the most sense. But I'm also on Optus, and generally turn 3G off unless I need it, and my emails get pushed over GPRS just fine. They get to my iPhone quicker than they get to my MobileMe email in mail.app, connected via ethernet.

It's difficult to diagnose problems with MobileMe at the moment because of all the reported issues that have been, and still are, happening. But it's pretty safe to assume that your issue has something to do with push over GPRS, or possibly something not set correctly in your iPhone settings. Just do some tests, see if email gets pushed over WiFi while your iPhone isn't in sleep mode, and also see if email gets pushed over GPRS while not in sleep mode.

Jay
8th November 2008, 10:37 AM
Push has started working nearly perfectly now . .
Dont know what the prob was but whatever it was it is sorted now. . . Apple has swapped my phone this time around for no reason . .lol . .

Aladdin
8th November 2008, 08:48 PM
Push works fine for me . . . but only for my inbox (on MobileMe).

I have many folders (and rules) which auto-sort my messages on my Mac.

The iPhone, however, does not update the unread message count in each folder until I tap on the folder name to show its contents.

Does anyone know of a solution? Thanks.

Dare
10th November 2008, 01:09 PM
i had this problem and sent an email to Mobileme Support. The response was basically to delete my mobileme account from my iphone, then add it again. Seemed to fix the problem for about a couple of months, then i noticed that it wasn't pushing recently, so i deleted it again and now it works again....stupid solution, but seems to work for me.