PDA

View Full Version : Planning to buy new macbook

nikilrules
5th November 2008, 09:17 PM
Hi guys i am planning to buy a new macbook but i am not able to decide to go for mac or not because i am regular user of windows for many year and i dont have any idea about mac os so will there be problems in switching to mac and i also want to know The main brawbacks of having a macbook in general???:confused::confused:

I bacially need it for programming and study purpose, well i dont really depend completely on laptop to play games i have playstation for it but some times i do play on my laptop.Right now i am user of acer completely furstrated with the performace of it so want to get a new one and never want to have a acer laptop again in my life

So please suggest me with one good laptop expect from acer if not mac is the right option for me....:(:(

thanking you in advance.Waiting for your response..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

cosmichobo
5th November 2008, 10:01 PM
Hi Nikil,

If you do buy a MacBook, you can have 2 weeks of using it to decide if it's "for you" or not. If you hate it, Apple will do a complete refund. (Ok, can someone confirm that for me - I'm sure I've heard others mention it).

If you need a specific program for study - ie programming language - you may need to check first whether a comparable version is available on Mac, that is ok for your studies... If not, there is always the option of using Windows on the MacBook (yes, Macs do Windows now, natively - not through emulation).

One thought of money is tight is to look at getting a refurbished MacBook from the AppleStore. About 17% cheaper usually... and still has a full waranty.

Macs do have games... just not as wide a variety as PCs.

Ecto1
5th November 2008, 10:07 PM
Hi nikilrules,

As cosmichobo posted above you can run windows on a mac through bootcamp (http://www.apple.com/au/macosx/features/bootcamp.html). There is other programs you can get that will run windows side by side of OS X with out having to reboot every time you want to change operating systems.

reemixx
5th November 2008, 10:13 PM
The real benefits of using a Mac (other than the experience of OS X) is all of the great software that is available. If there's a lot of OS X software you want to run then, sure, a Mac is definitely for you. If, however, you want to continue running a lot of Windows software, or you want to avoid issues with compatibility if you work with a lot of Windows files, then there's not much point going Mac if you're just going to run Windows via Bootcamp. That would just end up being expensive with no real benefit for you.

sighclops
5th November 2008, 10:20 PM
If there's a lot of OS X software you want to run then, sure, a Mac is definitely for you. If, however, you want to continue running a lot of Windows software, or you want to avoid issues with compatibility if you work with a lot of Windows files, then there's not much point going Mac if you're just going to run Windows via Bootcamp. That would just end up being expensive with no real benefit for you.

this is not entirely true. i think u'll find that there is a "mac equivalent" for almost any windows program. being a pc user for over 10 years this was my first concern in buying a mac, but it really isn't an issue after u get used to osx. what's even more of a revelation (i'm sure that other users can back me up here) is that even with the option to use windaz (windows in aussie) in bootcamp u will find u don't need it!! (apart from gaming that is!)

I bacially need it for programming and study purpose, well i dont really depend completely on laptop to play games i have playstation for it but some times i do play on my laptop.Right now i am user of acer completely furstrated with the performace of it so want to get a new one and never want to have a acer laptop again in my life

So please suggest me with one good laptop expect from acer if not mac is the right option for me....:(:(:

what's ur budget? (most important question for any mac user lmao)

djiashi
6th November 2008, 12:38 AM
i first jumped on the mac bandwagon with an ibook back in 2005. then, i had my old windows pc which helped my transition when i needed to use windows only programs (there was no bootcamp or parralels back then!) and at the same time, could play around with the new mac until i was fully accustomed to the differences.

i did some programming/coding subjects in uni as well but having the windows pc back then helped alot as my uni only taught with windows programming software. but nowadays like the forum users have pointed out you have the freedom to have windows specific software by running Bootcamp or Parrallels or VMWare.

As for study purpose, MS Office is obviously available as well as viewing/saving PDF files. Personally, I felt studying with a mac laptop more conducive!

Drawback is the price has increased in the Macbooks and I guess for some, the un-availability of having firewire.

Having seen about seven close friends who switched to Mac this year, all I have gotten from them are positive responses; esp not gonna switch back to buying a Windows notebook!

Whatever it is, if you have the opportunity, go try out a Macbook off a friend or retailers.