PDA

View Full Version : Office 2004

Ronin+Scissors
26th May 2004, 07:26 PM
Grabbed MS Office 2004 (Student + Teacher) today, was buying a BlueTooth keyboard and saw it in the store, was quite surprised since the Apple online store says 2-3 weeks shipping (it might have been an import, as I didn't see any mention of Australia on the packaging.) Admittedly I haven't used the previous iterations of Office for OSX but this package seems rather polished, definitely nicer than Office 2003 on my PC.

-Ronin with Scissors

Damian
26th May 2004, 08:49 PM
I just did the same - picked up an edu copy today. Installed it on two Macs - a DP450 and an iMac500 (both with Panther). Simple install and looks quite polished. No hassles with registration. I certainly prefer it to the Windows 2003 version I use at work sometimes.

Will be giving it a serious workout in the next week - lots of docs/xls files to process from a variety of sources. We will see how things pan out.

First time I have bought any MS software since Windows 95. Scary! My wife is looking at me strangely :rolleyes:

Damian

hawker
27th May 2004, 01:44 AM
Yeah, I've had a copy of office 2004 edu for about three days now, very impressed with the new all round features... still yet to give it a major work out as yet... more news to come!

Splintered_Mind
27th May 2004, 01:48 PM
I got my edu version yesterday. Just got it in time to do my last assignment for this semester :o

So far seems better than Office XP on windows :P

sillydog701
27th May 2004, 04:20 PM
How would the Office 2004 compare to Office v.X?

pipsqeek
27th May 2004, 06:12 PM
Well, for starters, it doesn't crash my iBook like the copy of Office v.X I bought....

Even after showing the Applecentre the problem, they did not want to refund or replace the item.

So basically with $$$ worth of software not working, I am happy that M$ has made Office 2004.

Oh, and I (probably not the best thing to talk about Steve) it too....I know that this forum has a thing about that. and I do too. All my software is opensource actually. But I got Office because of slight formatting compatibility issues, headings, tables, etc... between TAFE and home.

The fact that it was proven that (and I did show them numerous times) that my iBook ran like a Mac, stable. I opened Office and within 5 mins was restarting because not even the "Option", "Apple" "Esc" Shuffle did anything. My file menu at the top was jumbled up and the dock was not responding. Terminal was not responding, the machine had frozen completely..."Ctrl, Apple Power button" restart. try again. same shit.

(yeah yeah), and it is a significant improvement over the previous version...for starters, it works, it seems alittle more responsive then v.X, but its really hard to compare as I probably used v.X for 30 mins in a period of 9 months.

Steve

Apologies for having to edit your post Steve, simply put we're only a small forum and don't want to get in the shit

sillydog701
27th May 2004, 08:26 PM
For me, Office v.X has been very good. Been with the old G4 400, then G4 2x1.42, now the PB 12. Office v.X haven't crashed much for me. And I found it a lot better than the Windows version (Office XP).

I am wonder if I need to get the Office 2004.

Atomic
27th May 2004, 09:54 PM
I have a 500Mb Entourage database and after a while the v.X version developed a bug that would cause it to crash. E.G. if I was scrolling through archives, it would display a grey area in the preview pane and would crash if you seleced an email near it.

Office (Entourage) 2004 fixes this very annoying bug using the exact same database - thank God!

Byrd
27th May 2004, 10:19 PM
How much was Office 2004 for educational pricing? Might get someone to pick it up for me ;)

Entourage v.X was buggy all round, looking for an upgrade on this mainly.

Ronin+Scissors
28th May 2004, 08:28 AM
$299

pipsqeek
29th May 2004, 11:07 AM
Sorry Byrd,

Was thinking not to say anything but I figured that it was a bad experience with both M$ and Apple and was only justifying my reasons. :rolleyes:

Steve

Phillip
29th May 2004, 02:03 PM
imo, the office suit needs some serious work. that meaning the interface. the features are fine. just the interface is not up to standards.

first of all, the they should have a proper preferences window. no tabs or lists or whatever. the apple way is to have a toolbar with nice icons.

second of all in entourage, the project center looks ugly. very. the project titles with the color shading look wired with the tabs. the tabs doesn't that neat too, but thats apples fault. the calendar look no way near as good as ical.

office 2003 actually looks nice and goes well with windows. i'd rather use 2003 than 2004. some of the stuff in office 2004 doesn't go well (looking) with the mac. i am sorry for complaining so much bout the interface but that counts a lot in my book.

Secoa
18th June 2004, 05:31 PM
I realise this thread has probably been closed but I would like to discuss with someone who has upgraded (??) from Office Vx to Office 2004.

Does Word and excel in 2004 support extended filenames. Is there any difference in performance?

Ronin+Scissors
18th June 2004, 05:54 PM
It supports extended filenames, as for performance, I can't give any first-hand information but I remember a thread at macnn where someone showed markedly less CPU usage in 2004 when run side-to-side with V.x.

Febs
18th June 2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Atomic@May 27 2004, 09:54 PM
I have a 500Mb Entourage database and after a while the v.X version developed a bug that would cause it to crash. E.G. if I was scrolling through archives, it would display a grey area in the preview pane and would crash if you seleced an email near it.

Office (Entourage) 2004 fixes this very annoying bug using the exact same database - thank God!
Ahh..excellent, mine has just started doing this too (only occasionally).

Now I just have to wait til July 26 when Microsoft are giving me a free copy. :D

stickman67
18th June 2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Secoa@Jun 18 2004, 05:31 PM
Is there any difference in performance?
For a comparison of performance between X and 2004 in three areas, see Bare Feats (http://www.barefeats.com/quick.html).

And in case (like me) you're too lazy or disinterested to click on links, it boils down to this -- Office X (that's X, not 2004) is faster in the following three areas: Find/Replace (by 329%)
Spell Check (by 50%)
Scroll Thru [sic] (by 109%)
I don't know whether these are just the product of a particular computer -- there aren't many details on the site, and I've only been using the trial version of Office 2004 (which I heartily recommend for anyone who loves nagware) for a few days and haven't really noticed that it's slower in general. (And even if it is, it could be because it's a trial version, so it's possibly not a fair comparison.) Nonetheless, the Bare Feats data is food for thought.

Has anyone been using the full version and have any info? I'd love to hear whether it's worth me shelling out my $299! B)

Quamen
18th June 2004, 11:15 PM
Well for your $299 you get 3 CD-keys. So grab 3 mates and split the costs :o)

Currawong
19th June 2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Quamen@Jun 18 2004, 11:15 PM
Well for your $299 you get 3 CD-keys. So grab 3 mates and split the costs :o)
You're probably breaking the terms of the licence doing that though.