PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Innovation Overtaken, Over Rated, Under Rated?

Novatian
5th November 2008, 01:16 PM
Looking at the iPhone hardware, software, and cost, and the old competitors plus new models and the new brands out now, is iPhone matched, or outdone? Was it much better a year ago, over the rivals?

Is it worth the price?

How did you hear about Apple iPhone, and why did you buy in? Are you pleased now after trying it? Are you thinking of making a change?

MacTime
5th November 2008, 01:19 PM
No
Yes
Yes
MacTalk
The Features
Yes
No

Those are my answers in order.
Welcome to MacTalk!

chrism238
5th November 2008, 01:20 PM
How did you hear about Apple iPhone.....?You're asking people, here, how they heard about it? This forum had to be modified so that we could stop hearing about it!

Novatian
5th November 2008, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the quick replies, I heard about it from the US press, and posters. And word of mouth in business talk. It looked amazing, but I was not keen. So you heard from forum posts.

And you were an early adopter?

bennyling
5th November 2008, 01:34 PM
Looking at the iPhone hardware, software, and cost, and the old competitors plus new models and the new brands out now, is iPhone matched, or outdone?

Personally I think it's leaps and bounds ahead of anything else in the market. Andriod will come close, but will be plagued (to a lesser degree) with the same things that plagues Windows (on the desktop) - incompatibilities with hardware, ugly hacks to make it work, etc.

Was it much better a year ago, over the rivals?

Definitely. Nothing else in the market even came close to how revolutionary the iPhone actually was at the time - it's like the iPod Halo effect all over again! Now, manufacturers are scrambling to keep up.

Is it worth the price?

For sure. It's definitely the most expensive phone I've ever owned, and it is classed as a smartphone. There are features that can be added in, of course - custom SMS, full bluetooth capabilities, etc.

How did you hear about Apple iPhone, and why did you buy in?

Mactalk/Apple. My old phone was packing it in (age-wse :p) and so I decided to upgrade.

Are you pleased now after trying it?

Grinning like a cheshire cat.

Are you thinking of making a change?

Nope - if you have something that's this close to prefect as it's ever going to get, I don't see the need to swap down!

Novatian
10th November 2008, 01:52 AM
Hello again, I found this chart with a a range of smartphones I think. It has a review and calculator for testing. What might you think of this?

PDA/mobile device comparison (http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/grid.htm)

DJY
10th November 2008, 06:02 AM
Hello again, I found this chart with a a range of smartphones I think. It has a review and calculator for testing. What might you think of this?

PDA/mobile device comparison (http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/grid.htm)

It is one person's taste / importance and formula.

Even when you change the importance on the size - you still have to use his headings...
no where did it account for User Interface, seamless nature of hardware and software, ability to easily interact with my other data sources (my computer), the aesthetics of it, or even the simplicity of it all (as a positive).

Sure there are other phones that have more options, can play natively a range of videos, or have different specs... but the iPhone is clearly for me, the best phone on the market, and the one I'm most impressed with.

Arkhum_Eramak
10th November 2008, 06:32 AM
I still see the iPhone as largely unfinished, and am excited by the prospect of something that evolves with every update. It has the potential, and that's what I think sets it apart from everyone else the most - people said it was revolutionary when it's still largely unfinished. Once the push notifications get here it'll be like a whole new phone.
As I have complained before here, I had a Treo 650, and every firmware update was only for bug fixes, and every time I dared to update, I got *more* bugs rather than less. So far, iPhone has gotten better, which gives it a big thumbs up in my book!

Reubania
10th November 2008, 06:50 AM
I still see the iPhone as largely unfinished, and am excited by the prospect of something that evolves with every update. It has the potential, and that's what I think sets it apart from everyone else the most - people said it was revolutionary when it's still largely unfinished. Once the push notifications get here it'll be like a whole new phone.
As I have complained before here, I had a Treo 650, and every firmware update was only for bug fixes, and every time I dared to update, I got *more* bugs rather than less. So far, iPhone has gotten better, which gives it a big thumbs up in my book!

+1 for this post. :thumbup:

I am an Apple fanboy and have been hanging out for the iPhone since the first version was released in the US last year.

Although the iPhone is not perfect, it BLOWS away the competition. It is because of it's gorgeous GUI, fantastic use of a multi-touchscreen and simple form-factor. None of these aspects are new, but with Apple's branding, marketing and ability to bring it to the masses on their own had the most seasoned competitors scrambling.

If this is what Apple can bring out for their first phone...think of the possibilities for the future! It will only get better with time...and while the competitors are only now incorporating some of the iPhone's features to their handsets, they still pale in comparison.

iMac
10th November 2008, 06:51 PM
This sound like market research to anyone else?

Botox
10th November 2008, 06:55 PM
This sound like market research to anyone else?

Exactly what I was thinking......

Novatian
28th November 2008, 02:57 AM
Yes, TAFE student market research, I thought it would be entertaining, and good for me... So I have some results for you and Apple.

97% of iPhone users explore the www and use Google. Google is coming up with Google Android. Ordinary 3G is fast, but if you have a favourite 150 RSS web feeds, looking up each one individually takes a long time. At least by comparison to looking up Google services only, which for a fee of $50 per year will give you in one page all those web feeds and all Googles services, online office... from one access and Google does the rest.

Google plans to use HTC hardware with Android OS. I expect it will use Google's web browser...

I think it a good idea if Google and Apple work on an OS in accord.

Or Apple will need provide a similar service to Google.

Also, a removable memory with alternate OSs would be good, using OS X and having Android OS as well would be good, to make a choice on the same hardware, with iPhone patent protected and in the Google labs for a special OS.

Another idea is that a removable SD card memory would be good, a bigger pixeled camera, video options, flash, bluetooth, a faster keyboard... this would be good.

People are hacking their own iPhone OS and improving things, Taking videos...

Apple may benefit from making three iPhone a smaller one, the present with upgrades and a "netbook". A bigger one for the popular www options that capture consumer passions. You iPhone users surf the net a lot more than other smartphone consumers.

For some it is too big, for some it is too small.

For fast paced calls it is too slow, The touch screen is not the best and business men like video calls.

It is not yet that good at enterprise services. It is a consumer product, business applications are being written fast for OS X.

hatstand
28th November 2008, 06:28 PM
so you gleaned all this 'market research ' from a thread containing only 8 posts ( that aren't yours). aren't you just supertastic.

Novatian
28th November 2008, 06:33 PM
No, I did secondary data research from Rubicon and APC magazine online. Also using PDA Essentials UK and a comparison grid from the UK, ZDNet. Along with asking questions of experts, sales staff, and other people with snowball surveying. My report is about five pages long, and the bibliography is one page lone, Addressed to Apple Australia, did you want to see it?

hatstand
28th November 2008, 06:34 PM
no thanks. market research seems to be all about questioning people about things they never knew they wanted, then selling them in colours no-one wants to buy lol.

Novatian
28th November 2008, 06:45 PM
Yes, there is something called "sugging" which takes the fair name of market research, and gets attention from people who answer questions with an interest in product development, but then it turns out to be a sales pitch in disguise.

Fewer people nowadays will respond to a telephone survey.

I particularly like product design and science, and often watch new inventors and science docs... I got into this in the hope of being on there one day.

will
28th November 2008, 07:10 PM
well I just hope they used a condom! Market research.........almost the same!

macsyd
29th November 2008, 01:11 AM
Business men do not like video calls on their mobile phone.

Novatian
29th November 2008, 01:21 AM
The one I spoke to, at HP did. I would be a good follow up practice to check.