PDA

View Full Version : My New 12inch Pb!

shtan72
6th May 2005, 09:52 AM
Got my pb yesterday finally! I'm new to Mac so it was a memorable day. To my surprise, it came with a full Tiger CD with it (the reseller said I would have to pay $14.95 to have it sent), so bonus! A few things I'd like to know from the more experienced:
1. Was dissapointed quicktime can't play in fullscreen. Do you know of any freeware that allows me to do this?
2. How do you display a jpeg photo in fullscreen by itself?
3. When I run slideshow for pictures, its gorgeous but theres a line at the top of the screen that flickers constantly when the pictures pan across. Does anyone else find it irritating?
4. Am thinking of just placing the pb in my generic laptop bag(which is much bigger than the pb), do I still need a case for it (eg Bitolith?).....does the pb scratch easily in other words?
5. Max battery life I could get with full charge was 3.5 hours (according to meter), is that about right?
6. Spotlight is absolutely brilliant, never seen anything like it in PC....apple is on a winner (beats the hell out of google desktop).
7. Widgets are limited, where can I get Aussie widgets on the net?
8. It is truly plug and play! Recognized my canon ixus and canon printer immediately.
9. IT HAS VOICE RECOGNITION for simple commands, which is a pleasant bonus.

Hobart
6th May 2005, 09:57 AM
congrats man, unfortunatly im new to macs also so im not of much help but i have been wondering some of the same questions as you too.

On-Site-Tec
6th May 2005, 10:14 AM
http://www.dashboardwidgets.com < Lots of Widgets, Some are the same as the apple site.
http://www.videolan.org < QT Alternative, Best Media Player&#33;
http://www.laptopbags.com.au/listing.php?k...LT_LAPTOP_GLOVE (http://www.laptopbags.com.au/listing.php?keywords=&category=LAPTOPBAGS&subcategory=LT_LAPTOP_GLOVE) < Best protection for your PowerBook so you can chuck it in any bag you like :) Well worth it&#33;

Matt.

king89
6th May 2005, 10:14 AM
Okay, most of the answer can be found using the search feature on the top left. So have a look there next time first.

Saying that, here are some answers.

1. There is a recent applescript hack (available on this site) that will allow quicktime to play in full screen. Otherwise try VLC which is available at www.versiontracker.com (for all your other program needs) that plays video files full screen.

4. Have a look at some laptop sleeves out there, Companies such as STM actually creates laptop bags specifically for Apple portables.

5. For a powerbook that is about right, depending if you are using your wireless, bluetooth and dvd continuously.

7. Look at www.islayer.net who is a member of this forum, he has designed a few widgets and is currently accepting new ideas for widgets. Give him a yell if you have questions/ideas.

purana
6th May 2005, 10:18 AM
Excellent. Congrads. Its good to know your machine came with a Tiger disk. It means my wifes Powerbook 12" superdrive which is currently sitting at the reseller allocated to my order will probably come with one too. I hope to have it towards the end of the month, as my work only does cheque printing once a month and the reseller is waiting for my cheque. I can&#39;t tell you how hard it is knowning the machine is available and in stock. Especially since they also tell me the mac mini 1.42 combo is allocated too. Will pick them both up later this month.

Hope you enjoy your new toy :)

foonster
6th May 2005, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by shtan72@May 6 2005, 09:52 AM
1. Was dissapointed quicktime can&#39;t play in fullscreen. Do you know of any freeware that allows me to do this?There&#39;s an incredibly simple AppleScript solution on apple-x.net (http://apple-x.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1431) for this. Tried it yesterday and it works. No need to pay &#036;44.95 for QuickTime Pro if you only want fullscreen.

4. Am thinking of just placing the pb in my generic laptop bag(which is much bigger than the pb), do I still need a case for it (eg Bitolith?).....does the pb scratch easily in other words?I&#39;ve seen an elegant solution for protecting screen and keyboard. It&#39;s a sleeve that you slip over the screen/lid when you&#39;re ready to close your laptop shut. Don&#39;t know the brand, sorry.

5. Max battery life I could get with full charge was 3.5 hours (according to meter), is that about right?Maybe do a full drain and charge cycle. Many laptop makers stretch the battery life specs by testing them under minimum power-use settings.

7. Widgets are limited, where can I get Aussie widgets on the net?There&#39;s a bloke on AppleTalk called iSlayer who seems to be churning them out regularly...

9. IT HAS VOICE RECOGNITION for simple commands, which is a pleasant bonus.Strewth&#33; It can understand Strine? Keep us posted on your new toy...

shtan72
6th May 2005, 10:31 AM
Yes, found the scirpt for fullscreen QT........will try it tonight. THANKS&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
Had alot of fun last night, going "computer.....open microsoft word". ABsolutely amazing cause its got no training required. I&#39;ve got a similar ability on my o2 XDA mini but had to pay &#036;49 for it.......here we&#39;ve got it bundled in for "Free" without asking&#33; Wonder why reviews of os tiger don&#39;t mention this feature cause it&#39;s great&#33;&#33;

shtan72
6th May 2005, 10:33 AM
The power plug that goes into the PB has a central pin that looks quite fragile. Do any of you carry the plug around with the plastic cup/cone that covers it to keep it safe?

foonster
6th May 2005, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by shtan72@May 6 2005, 10:31 AM
Had alot of fun last night, going "computer.....open microsoft word". ABsolutely amazing cause its got no training required.
What would be mind-blowing is when you can say,

"Computer... Tea. Earl-Grey. Hot." :D

mwot
6th May 2005, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by foonster@May 6 2005, 10:37 AM
What would be mind-blowing is when you can say,

"Computer... Tea. Earl-Grey. Hot." :D
sure beats what i yell at my work PC when it plays up :lol:

as for voice recog in general, I think Apple products have had that as pretty much standard for quite some time ... not just recently. Can&#39;t say I&#39;ve used it previously, though. Can&#39;t say I&#39;d use it now, either ... I can see my wife getting jealous that I&#39;ll talk more to my beloved mac than to her :ph34r:

forno
6th May 2005, 01:39 PM
In six weeks I will have my first mac(PB) cant wait :P

Ozi
6th May 2005, 01:52 PM
Congrats. :)

The 12" are so cute. I just want to cuddle them&#33; They are pretty damned powerful now too.... it rivals my machine&#33; :o The cheek&#33;

purana
6th May 2005, 02:09 PM
All the 12" powerbook needs, is a higher native res on the LCD. 1024x768 is just too small. My wife dont mind though, as her old PC notebook had the same res. So she wont be concerned, but if it was mine, this would drive me nuts

shtan72
6th May 2005, 02:27 PM
I think the screen&#39;s resolution is perfectly suitable for its size and function. I have a widecreen dell inspiron with double the resolution but I find fonts are way too small for comfortable use daily. The pictures however, are a different story. I&#39;ll give it a month to make up my mind on this so stay tuned&#33;
Anyone notice the pb is a little heavy? I don&#39;t care but it is slightly heavier than I imagined looking at its size.
What bluetooth mouse would you guys use with it?
Any preferences b/w glove-like bags for the 12 inch PB?

forno
6th May 2005, 03:22 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that the 12&#39; only has one slot for ram so if you want a GIG its expensive

shtan72
6th May 2005, 03:53 PM
I got 1gig ram for &#036;360 so now its 1.25G ram. Did I get cheated or is that an acceptable price?

Rayd
6th May 2005, 03:53 PM
just a question.... where did you find a 12"&#33;? i went to every store in my area .. and literally called every store in NSW and couldnt find one.. so we got a 15" superdrive instead.. i must say.. i dont regret it... the backlighted keyboard is amazing&#33; and all those extra ports and sceen space is just a plus&#33; but.. it is a big big tho... oh well...

by the way... my powerbook came with a 3 quater full batery and it says on the apple site that it is meant to last 4.5hours.. ill be lucky if i get 3.5hours.. :P

forno
6th May 2005, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by shtan72@May 6 2005, 03:53 PM
I got 1gig ram for &#036;360 so now its 1.25G ram. Did I get cheated or is that an acceptable price?
Sounds OK, but I got quoted 130 for a 512 stick for a PB 15(has 512 already and 2 slots) so you can spend the extra on a 15" :P

Galumay
6th May 2005, 04:11 PM
welcome the the club that is mac&#33;&#33;

in terms of finding out htings about macs, this forum is great, but also use www.apple.com and go to the support section and then the discussion section. learn to use the search function here and you will find someone has already asked the question and has been answered. in the unlikely event you cant find a discussion about your issue, ask away - you will find replies are prompt and helpful.

mvjs
6th May 2005, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by shtan72@May 6 2005, 09:52 AM
Got my pb yesterday finally&#33; I&#39;m new to Mac so it was a memorable day. To my surprise, it came with a full Tiger CD with it (the reseller said I would have to pay &#036;14.95 to have it sent), so bonus&#33; A few things I&#39;d like to know from the more experienced:
1. Was dissapointed quicktime can&#39;t play in fullscreen. Do you know of any freeware that allows me to do this?
2. How do you display a jpeg photo in fullscreen by itself?
3. When I run slideshow for pictures, its gorgeous but theres a line at the top of the screen that flickers constantly when the pictures pan across. Does anyone else find it irritating?
4. Am thinking of just placing the pb in my generic laptop bag(which is much bigger than the pb), do I still need a case for it (eg Bitolith?).....does the pb scratch easily in other words?
5. Max battery life I could get with full charge was 3.5 hours (according to meter), is that about right?
6. Spotlight is absolutely brilliant, never seen anything like it in PC....apple is on a winner (beats the hell out of google desktop).
7. Widgets are limited, where can I get Aussie widgets on the net?
8. It is truly plug and play&#33; Recognized my canon ixus and canon printer immediately.
9. IT HAS VOICE RECOGNITION for simple commands, which is a pleasant bonus.
Firstly, there is a "Spotlight" program on the PC, which Apple baced Spotlight on Called X1, that retailed for &#036;100, since when Yahoo, had bought the technology to make their own desktop seach, auto indesking, etc.

I was told Quicktime 7 could play in full screen

JPEG Photos will be in full screen if you view it in Preview, and go to View + full screen

Lucky You, I&#39;m still waiting for a Mini :)

964RSCS
6th May 2005, 04:46 PM
...as for laptop cases, I use a booq vyper, which fits my PowerBook perfectly. Plus it has "ridges" moulded into the case so you can use it to rest on your lap and still have clearence underneath for ventilation&#33;&#33;

Can find more info on these at http://www.laptopbags.com.au/index.php

downsys
6th May 2005, 05:50 PM
also, if u haven&#39;t, try out Expose...press F11, or F10, or F9 with windows opened. see the magic ;)

shtan72
6th May 2005, 10:18 PM
Does the booq vyper allow you to use the PB with its powercord attached without having to take the notebook out of the case (ie. Just open the top, stick the powercord in and start typing)?
The booq certainly is the coolest looking case around......everyone agree?

Wheels
7th May 2005, 01:47 PM
Hi, This is my first post as I am getting my first Apple comp. I am a student and I was wondering if there is much difference between the ibook and the powerbook? If i get the power book I dont know if I should get the 17inch. Does anyone find the 17inch very heavy??

shtan72
7th May 2005, 01:54 PM
I&#39;d go PB if you can afford it. 17 inch PB is a MONSTER&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; I wouldn&#39;t be carrying that around unless I really had to. Leave it at home as a desktop replacement. The bigger debate is 12 vs 15 inch PB. Ibooks are good but I think you&#39;ll always be wondering about the powerbook but not vice versa.

Wheels
7th May 2005, 02:19 PM
Thanks for that info......at the moment I have a Toshiba and it is a brick and is hard to carry with one hand while driving my electric wheelchair. I will check out the 12 or 15 inch. Thanks again

-----------------
Wheels8989 :D :D :D :D

McMullet
7th May 2005, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by shtan72@May 6 2005, 03:53 PM
I think that&#39;s an acceptable price as I&#39;ve been searching around for RAM myself.

I went to AppleCentre Chadstone and they were selling 512mb for about &#036;88. Can you believe that? The girl that I spoke to didn&#39;t seem to have much idea about Apple or computers in general so she just opened the MS Excel spreadsheet and showed me the price. I was astounded that they were willing to sell it to me at this price considering other places were selling it for about &#036;140.

I also asked about 1GB and that was only &#036;245&#33;&#33;&#33; Somehow, I think both quoted prices were actually cost price.

Anyway, I bought neither of them because they didn&#39;t have the 512 in stock and I didn&#39;t have enough money for ther 1GB. :(