PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro (late 2008) random freezing issue

shivstar
4th November 2008, 09:59 PM
Hi all...

I recently brought a MBP from NextByte and they upgraded it to 4GB RAM (using Swissbite RAM). After 3 days of using it, usually using a variety of apps at once, the machine freezes... no keyboard, no trackpad, no ambient light sensor, it all just seizes - the only way out is a hold down the power button restart.

Could this be down to the RAM? Or more than likely symptoms of another issue?

I will be replacing the RAM back to the original Apple supplied one later on today and see if it make any difference, will post a update after a few days of testing. Just wanted to know if anyone else had any similar issues?

Thanks

Huy
4th November 2008, 10:11 PM
Could be RAM. Do what you were going to do.

Take it out. Test.

MissionMan
4th November 2008, 10:47 PM
I've had no issues with the extra 4GB I bought, but you may have a dud set. Test it for a while with the old ram, if the problem doesn't occur it is probably the ram.

jrad
5th November 2008, 01:06 AM
You're not alone hey... My MBP has been doing this for ages and more... zapping, jamming CD\DVDs, keys fall out (esp the M key) fuzzy graphics, static audio, blank screens, weird backlight waviness on the bottom half of the screen... This is my SECOND MBP 2.5ghz and it's very embarrassing when it does it during demos... I think Apple churned out some real duds during late 2008 ;)

shivstar
6th November 2008, 11:20 PM
hey all... just an update...

Soon after i posted this (2 days ago) i switch the RAM to the Apple standard 2GB and I have had no problems what so ever... just to be sure, i even opened nearly every app in my applications folder (including Photoshop, ArchiCAD and Illustrator) and opened files in the apps... just to test to the extreme. The 2GB max out (according to Activity Monitor) but no freezing issues.

So i guess NextByte gave me dodgy RAM - will have to go down there once i'm back, such a pain because i'm without 4GB of RAM and even lost quite a few hours of work during the lockups when using old RAM... not happy with them... but at least I know the cause of the issues.

Thanks for your advice and insight.

jrad
7th November 2008, 12:13 AM
Its not NBs fault the RAM failed! They have really good coverage on RAM so they'll be more than willing to help...

bigg
7th November 2008, 07:04 PM
Hi

i dont think this is a RAM issue

im getting the same issue on my new late 2008 15'' Macbook Pro

Full lockups have to remove battery

It just has Apples stock 2gb RAM..

i found thread here

Apple - Support - Discussions - Random Freezing ... (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8415926&#8415926)

very very annoying

there appears to be more freezing isssue with people running Vista on theirs under bootcamp

Apple - Support - Discussions - Late 08 Macbook Pro freezing in Vista 32 ... (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1758728&tstart=0)

Its goto be the hardware

rustyshelf
10th November 2008, 11:48 AM
I had this exact problem with my early 2008 Macbook Pro. You can boot off your OS X installation CD and run a hardware test. Mine said faulty RAM (actually what it said was some bizzarro error, that when I looked up on the net meant faulty ram), so I replaced the RAM and now it runs sweeeeeeeet. I was getting lock ups multiple times a day, and each reboot after it would spend ages rebuilding the spotlight database. Trust me, 95% chance that it's the RAM.

shivstar
10th November 2008, 09:10 PM
Yeh, I did run a memory test with the 4GB (before I put the stock 2GB back in) and the tests all came back (after a long wait) with zero errors - which was strange. Since i've changed to the stock 2GB I still have had no problems... so I think it's safe to say it is faulty RAM. Will head over to NextByte when I get a chance and see what they say.

shivstar
30th November 2008, 10:20 AM
just to update... i managed to get over the NextByte last week (went to the Brisbane one, instead of Gold Coast - where i originally purchased it) and they we're very helpful... they exchanged the RAM with no hassle and even we're kind enough to install and test the new RAM before i left the shop. So i'm back to 4GB with no more freezing issues :)

iCarllovesapple
30th November 2008, 10:35 AM
Hi all...

I recently brought a MBP from NextByte and they upgraded it to 4GB RAM (using Swissbite RAM). After 3 days of using it, usually using a variety of apps at once, the machine freezes... no keyboard, no trackpad, no ambient light sensor, it all just seizes - the only way out is a hold down the power button restart.

Could this be down to the RAM? Or more than likely symptoms of another issue?

I will be replacing the RAM back to the original Apple supplied one later on today and see if it make any difference, will post a update after a few days of testing. Just wanted to know if anyone else had any similar issues?

Thanks

I rang Apple. I said it was a DOA! And.. Bam.. New MBP. but the new one is also broken so pft!!!

MissionMan
30th November 2008, 11:59 AM
I think I may be having the same problem. Let me know if the new ram solves the problem. I also got aftermarket 4GB from Next Byte when I bought my laptop and I've had 3 system freezes in the last 3 days.

http://gallery.me.com/athol.hill/100020/IMG_0059/web.jpg

http://gallery.me.com/athol.hill/100020/IMG_0060/web.jpg

MissionMan
30th November 2008, 12:00 PM
Duplicate post

shivstar
30th November 2008, 07:20 PM
@MissionMan

The problem i had was the machine would lock up... the keyboard, trackpad, everything... only button that would work was to hold down power button. The screen didn't render messed up like the photos you posted... that could be a graphic chip issue, although not too sure. Does it happen just when running safari or has it happened with other apps?

Piratbyran
30th November 2008, 07:24 PM
Yep, I get that often on my mbp. Graphics glitch up, everything.

Pretty bad hey?

MissionMan
30th November 2008, 07:41 PM
Yep, I get that often on my mbp. Graphics glitch up, everything.

Pretty bad hey?

What do you mean you get it often? What machine? One of the new MBP's?

@MissionMan

The problem i had was the machine would lock up... the keyboard, trackpad, everything... only button that would work was to hold down power button. The screen didn't render messed up like the photos you posted... that could be a graphic chip issue, although not too sure. Does it happen just when running safari or has it happened with other apps?

I had the same problem as you with high power mode (i.e. using the powerful graphics card). The screen would remain normal but the machine would lock up. The above pictures appear with the lower level graphics card when I am using economy mode.

shivstar
1st December 2008, 09:04 AM
yeh... mine was on high power mode too... i like to keep it on, too much effort to keep switching. although i did disable that as i thought that was the cause of the freezing, and even on economy mode it behaved the same way.

something interesting while the guy was in the back treating my mbp the guy at the counter asked: "what was the problem, striped screen?". So maybe that is a common problem... might be worth taking a screenshot of it down to nextbyte and see what they say.

Phunky
2nd December 2008, 04:01 PM
Rumors suggest the Nvidia chipsets adopted by Apple may still be faulty, just like the old ones

Nvidia heat causing Macbooks to fail - The INQUIRER (http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/11/29/nvidia-heat-causing-macbooks)

MissionMan
3rd December 2008, 03:02 AM
I'll be annoyed if that's the case, particularly when you are paying for a premium product.

djiashi
16th December 2008, 12:38 AM
what is everyone's normal cpu temperature? mine is 70-80C with just firefox, itunes, adium and iphoto opened even with smcfancontrol set at 4000rpm for both fans! it has gone over 80 too..

ive never seen my cpu temperature below 50deg