PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Firewire fix

lodle
4th November 2008, 08:49 PM
Well alot of people are complaining about the lack of firewire on the macbook why not buy an expresscard firewire card thing.

Belkin : FireWire 800 ExpressCardô (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=278329)

This will allow you to have the cheaper notebook and also use firewire when needed.

Lodle

Edit: Hmm seems the image i was looking at was a macbook pro. Does the normal macbook have an expresscard slot?

lenman74
4th November 2008, 08:53 PM
um do the macbooks even have expresscard slots?

DaveOZ
4th November 2008, 08:53 PM
Um, there is no express card slot in the new MacBook.

Phase
4th November 2008, 08:54 PM
Nope!

reemixx
4th November 2008, 09:11 PM
The only FireWire 'fix' would be this: No FireWire over Ethernet; but maybe in Snow Leopard | The Apple Core | ZDNet.com (http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=2414)

So keep hoping.

Lachie
4th November 2008, 09:38 PM
The only FireWire 'fix' would be this: No FireWire over Ethernet; but maybe in Snow Leopard | The Apple Core | ZDNet.com (http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=2414)

So keep hoping.

does ethernet even have enough REALISTIC bandwidth for firewire 800?

El Guardo
4th November 2008, 09:42 PM
The only fix: upgrade to a MacBook Pro.

zaca
4th November 2008, 09:52 PM
argh!! I hate this! It really makes me torn between the 2.

I would like firewire for Video Editing, but I dont feel i can justify the $1k difference!! unless someone wants to give me $1k :D

hehe

Rayd
4th November 2008, 10:35 PM

isnt gigabit ethernet 1000mbps??
firewire 800 is 800mbps im assuming?

please correct if wrong :D

El Guardo
4th November 2008, 10:42 PM
isnt gigabit ethernet 1000mbps??
firewire 800 is 800mbps im assuming?

Change to Mbps and, yes, correct.

adamd
4th November 2008, 11:27 PM
Change to Mbps and, yes, correct.

See that's what I love about this site. Everything has to be perfect :P

Same issue here, I would like a new MacBook, but cant justify no FW vs $+1,000.

stevejay
5th November 2008, 06:48 AM
I would like firewire for Video Editing, but I dont feel i can justify the $1k difference!! unless someone wants to give me $1k :D

Taking firewire out of the entry level portable was indian giving. If they could put firewire in a 2001 G3 "icebook", they can effing-well put it in the new Macbook, especially considering the price of the thing. Dell have firewire on their AU$800 offerings FFS, and they pay a royalty to Apple on top of the basic price for their firewire chips.

If Steve Jobs knocked on my door today, I'd unleash a whole bag of hurt on his arse in the form of my size 9 boot.

SyncMan
5th November 2008, 06:49 AM
May I suggest that this thread be closed, since the thread is about false info to start with, and that since we have other threads about the subject elsewhere?

Dakah3
7th November 2008, 05:18 PM
Saw this on Gizmodo and thought it might be a work around to gettting your video camera on one of the new firewire less Macbooks.
Kaiser Bass Converts VHS To DVD Via USB Stick - Gizmodo Australia (http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/11/kaiser_bass_converts_vhs_to_dvd_via_usb_stick.html )

forgie
7th November 2008, 05:29 PM
AFAIK, the fact that GB ethernet can't do anywhere near 1000Mbps transfer speed has more to do with the protocol stack that normally runs over it. The hardware itself can do the 1000Mbps no problem. If some sort of low-level protocol translation was done, it may be possible to get FW400 via GB ethernet with an external adapter of some sort. It likely wouldn't be cheap though....

ozymandias
7th November 2008, 06:24 PM
I wonder if this is something in the future can be resolved with the Displayport. I know this is unlikely but the Displayport is Bi-directional with a rate of 10.8gbps transfer.

I think the future of FW is actually in display ports hands where new cameras will start passing data through the DP.

Maybe again an example of Apple looking way into the future with this stuff.