PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro delivery delay due to 7200rpm drives

Goldilocks
4th November 2008, 02:27 PM
Hi, I have ordered the new Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz with 320Gb 7200rpm hard drive through a reseller on 17th October and it has still not arrived, the latest information was they (Apple) are having trouble supplying the 7200rpm drives from the manufacturer in Singapore and it will be another 2 weeks before I can expect a delivery. Has anyone else had this problem?

mac_man_luke
4th November 2008, 02:42 PM
sounds like BS

decryption
4th November 2008, 02:43 PM
They're shipping nice and fast on the Apple online store.

Goldilocks
4th November 2008, 02:50 PM
They're shipping nice and fast on the Apple online store.

Yeh, maybe but I do not know if there really is a problem then the Apple Online store would probably have the same delay.

MacTime
4th November 2008, 02:52 PM
I ordered that exact spec from Apple online on the 17th and it arrived on the 27th, 10 days. You're being told lies. By the way, you'll love the machine, it's fantastic.

Goldilocks
4th November 2008, 02:58 PM
I ordered that exact spec from Apple online on the 17th and it arrived on the 27th, 10 days. You're being told lies. By the way, you'll love the machine, it's fantastic.

Thanks, I know, I was racing you in another forum. Update, I just rang the Apple Online Store and there is a 2 week delay even if you order it from them. So I think I will just have to sit tight. Sigh........

MacTime
4th November 2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks, I know, I was racing you in another forum. Update, I just rang the Apple Online Store and there is a 2 week delay even if you order it from them. So I think I will just have to sit tight. Sigh........

Sorry! Not trying to rub it in, I just forgot.

Goldilocks
4th November 2008, 03:04 PM
Sorry! Not trying to rub it in, I just forgot.

No problem, a bit dissappointing, but I know I will enjoy when I get it. Thanks for the replies everyone, a little moral support goes a long way.

Roddles50
4th November 2008, 04:28 PM
I have been told the same thing from my supplier. By the way, they were told by email from from apple. I trust the dealer, he is my brother in law.

I ordered around the same dat, apple confirmed last Thursday it would arrive on Friday, another mail on Friday that it would take another 5 to 10 days. Grrrrr.

The order was for a 2.8 GHz, 320 Gb 7200, MacbBook Pro

Rod

SimplyBea
4th November 2008, 07:56 PM
hmmmmm - I hope it won't take toooo long....... we ordered our 'new baby' online on Saturday and have not received any communication from apple but the 'order status' states that it will be delivered 12-14 November..... I thought that was because we had a custom order and we did choose the 320/7200 hdd.....

:(

Link
4th November 2008, 08:23 PM
Same. Ordered on the 17th with a 2.8 and a 250 7200 and have been told another week or so...:(

djiashi
4th November 2008, 08:30 PM
hopefully this delay will settle down in december before the xmas buying rush comes! planning to get mine sometime early dec!

Chrisflyer
4th November 2008, 09:10 PM
I ordered with the 7,200 RPM and the MBP arrived within 8 days.

Goldilocks
5th November 2008, 08:07 AM
hopefully this delay will settle down in december before the xmas buying rush comes! planning to get mine sometime early dec!

I wonder if Apple and/or reseller will throw in something for being so patient for such a long delay, to keep good customer relations?

Mohawk
5th November 2008, 08:56 AM
In most cases, you're better off buying your own HDD and swapping them when you get your machine. it wont cost much more than Apple's price to upgrade, you get a new 2.5" external drive, and in your case it would have been the default machine, so you would get it faster. win win win.

That said, waiting sucks! I've got to wait a couple of weeks for my new MBP from JB. I would have been waiting much longer if it wasn't for JB price matching Apple for upgrading the RAM to 4GB. So my machine wont be built to order. I love JB
(in fact I'm thinking that JB isn't making any money from my purchase, and could possibly be losing money on it due to the financing arrangement... ouch)

Mohawk
5th November 2008, 09:01 AM
I wonder if Apple and/or reseller will throw in something for being so patient for such a long delay, to keep good customer relations?

The guy who ordered my MBP at JB Hi-Fi spoke of another who had to wait a long time for his MacBook Pro. They ended up giving him a free game and something else when he finally received his notebook to keep him happy. I guess it depends on the circumstances and how angry you get.

SimplyBea
5th November 2008, 09:52 PM
I ordered with the 7,200 RPM and the MBP arrived within 8 days.

Did you order from the online store or from a reseller???

It says 12-14th November on my invoice (I ordered on 1st Nove which was a Saturday) but just wondering if it will be longer than that???

:(

pb12lover
5th November 2008, 10:29 PM
ive been waiting since the 16th for my MBP. I only got the 2.8 upgrade as i thought i can upgrade to HDD later. I got the MBP for on 4.3K ish from JB so i got a good deal but im not liking this waiting business. they hope it to be in late this week or next week (or the week after that). when i got back ill push for a mobileme family pack or something like that.... see what i can get!!

Goldilocks
6th November 2008, 06:30 AM
ive been waiting since the 16th for my MBP. I only got the 2.8 upgrade as i thought i can upgrade to HDD later. I got the MBP for on 4.3K ish from JB so i got a good deal but im not liking this waiting business. they hope it to be in late this week or next week (or the week after that). when i got back ill push for a mobileme family pack or something like that.... see what i can get!!

Thats worth considering, I think I might think of something like that as well, after all we are spending quite a bit of mula.

spuds_imac
6th November 2008, 07:21 AM
Been waiting 2 weeks for my MacBook Pro 2.53 320gig 7200rpm drive (from a dealer) and was told not to expect delivery till late next week, I cancelled the order.:thumbdn:

Goldilocks
6th November 2008, 11:34 AM
Been waiting 2 weeks for my MacBook Pro 2.53 320gig 7200rpm drive (from a dealer) and was told not to expect delivery till late next week, I cancelled the order.:thumbdn:

I was going to do the same, but it did not matter where I ordered it, either from Apple Online or otherwise, it would still be another 2 weeks. I have been waiting for over 12months for this, so I will just need to be patient a little longer.

pb12lover
6th November 2008, 05:49 PM
just got off the phone with JB-HiFi and ive been told to that next thursday is the best estimate but could be even longer. what peeves me right off is that i ordered it on the 16th with the order *supposedly* going in the next day.... The guy i was dealing with told me last week that the order actually got placed on the 29th!!!! Reason - Apple suspended all orders from resellers. i think thats total BS and we just wanted it to arrive after their stocktake. So when i go pick it up im gonna demand i get something for waiting a month for a laptop.

i had to wait a month for my 12' Powerbook & i thought i got in early enough (16th) to beat the rush but looks like ill be waiting as long or even longer for Macbook Pro!

basseyy
6th November 2008, 06:01 PM
Hi, I have ordered the new Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz with 320Gb 7200rpm hard drive through a reseller on 17th October and it has still not arrived, the latest information was they (Apple) are having trouble supplying the 7200rpm drives from the manufacturer in Singapore and it will be another 2 weeks before I can expect a delivery. Has anyone else had this problem?

I think you have hit on something, Im waiting on my new macbook 7200rmp HD, and I'm almost at my 2nd week waiting, I called compnow, and they said they have not heard when it will be available

lnc12
6th November 2008, 06:02 PM
I have ordered same MBP and I was told by Humac (company in Denmark) that I would have it between 10 - 17 November. :( can't wait :)

Goldilocks
7th November 2008, 07:30 AM
It seems that those who ordered via Apple Online originally, had no problem but those who ordered through a reseller involving those 7200rpm drives had their orders suspended, how long has this supposed priority given to the Apple Online stores over the resellers regardless of how early they have placed their order and why?? It must be stressed that this is my own opinion and not fact.

basseyy
7th November 2008, 03:47 PM
OMG - I got THE email, my macbook pro is ready to be collected, tomorrow, bloody hell, i won't be able to sleep tonight, might as well stay awake all night in anticpation - can't wait !! :)
:thumbup::thumbup:

blakat
7th November 2008, 03:50 PM
It seems that those who ordered via Apple Online originally, had no problem but those who ordered through a reseller involving those 7200rpm drives had their orders suspended, how long has this supposed priority given to the Apple Online stores over the resellers regardless of how early they have placed their order and why?? It must be stressed that this is my own opinion and not fact.

Apple have always given them selves first dip on stock... wouldn't you?

Goldilocks
9th November 2008, 02:01 PM
Good news, I think, the reseller has expected delivery date 11 November....only 2 days away whoohoo, I am 95% excited (the other 5% will be on delivery!!!)

basseyy
9th November 2008, 02:09 PM
Mine arrived yesterday, and I LOVE IT

Goldilocks
9th November 2008, 02:48 PM
Mine arrived yesterday, and I LOVE IT

:thumbup: congratulations, I am sure I will say the same about mine when it arrives.

hithere
10th November 2008, 10:15 PM
Ordered my MBP 2.8 with 320GB 7.2K on 2 Nov (nearly midnight, so it is more like the 3rd Nov)... estimated delivery date is 12 to 14 Nov... according to the TNT tracking system, it has just arrived in Sydney (from Shanghai) today (10 Nov)... another day for custom clearance and over night to Melb so 12th is looking most likely. So... 9 days! I ordered through Apple Online.

SimplyBea
11th November 2008, 10:03 PM
~~~ keeping my fingers crossed ~~~

Spoke to Apple this afternoon and my mbp should be delivered to me by tomorrow afternoon. I ordered it on 1st November - over the weekend - direct from apple online store......

~~~~ can't wait ~~~~

Goldilocks
12th November 2008, 04:07 PM
Great news!!!! I have picked up my Macbook Pro about an hour ago, it is still sealed in the box, just waiting on iWorks which should be in tomorrow.

I am going open it very very very slowly as I have been waitng since Oct last year and I want to saviour every little detail.

Now 100% excited Whoo hoo

SimplyBea
12th November 2008, 08:17 PM
This post is coming from my new mbp which I picked up this afternoon and I couldn't wait to get home to open the box!!!!!
Had dinner while charging it and then it has all been sweet!!!

8 working days from when we ordered it - not bad at all since we are so remote and this baby had to take an extra flight plus another freight forwarder to be dropped off to me!!!

TNT + Apple rock!!! Great service and comms all through the purchase and after sales service!!!

:)

Madone
16th November 2008, 10:06 AM
arrived in Sydney (from Shanghai) today (10 Nov)... another day for custom clearance and over night to Melb

Does all CTO orders from Apple, go to Sydney for clearance, then forwarded to destination?

SimplyBea
16th November 2008, 01:21 PM
Does all CTO orders from Apple, go to Sydney for clearance, then forwarded to destination?

I am pretty sure that's what happens. All our CTO items have gone by that route.

It's pretty fast though, once it is in the country and for those who live in a city - it is really at times a matter of hours....... my daughter received her refurb mbp in less than 24hrs and it was sent out from S'pore to Sydney!

soferfam
17th November 2008, 12:44 PM
Hi all
Just letting you know that [despite the other emails regarding Nextbyte in BNE service), I ordered my replacement Macbook Pro 2.8ghz plus 7200 drive from Netxtbyte Perth Tuesday last week... Already in, in under a week.... No delays and excellent service (well it is my 4th laptop in 3 years from them, though)
Rob

Mohawk
17th November 2008, 01:34 PM
Hi all
Just letting you know that [despite the other emails regarding Nextbyte in BNE service), I ordered my replacement Macbook Pro 2.8ghz plus 7200 drive from Netxtbyte Perth Tuesday last week... Already in, in under a week.... No delays and excellent service (well it is my 4th laptop in 3 years from them, though)
Rob

I think the problem is that JB isn't one of Apple's 'important' resellers. Certain resellers get more Macs, quicker. Nextbyte would be arguably more important than JB, seeing as Apple is Nextbyte's expertise, but for JB, Apple sits way down the food chain.

I got a stock Macbook Pro, and it still hasn't arrived yet, maybe this week. (also the 7200RPM drive I picked up online, won't get here until Friday/Monday... ouch)

(Apologies, I was on the wrong tab writing this. It's still kind of relevent, but I thought I was on the JB Sale thread :rolleyes: )

Madone
17th November 2008, 08:10 PM
Hi all
Rob

Yep, you got the one I asked them to order, but due to there lack of speediness, and overall lack of communication, they got the point, when I asked them to cancel the order. It may of been the Sales Exec manager Asia/Pacific contacting them too.

Mine is in Sydney, due for delivery tomorrow, order in Fri morning, shipped Sat morning, delivered Tues morning!

Fast eh...

soferfam
18th November 2008, 11:20 PM
Yep, you got the one I asked them to order, but due to there lack of speediness, and overall lack of communication, they got the point, when I asked them to cancel the order. It may of been the Sales Exec manager Asia/Pacific contacting them too.

Mine is in Sydney, due for delivery tomorrow, order in Fri morning, shipped Sat morning, delivered Tues morning!

Fast eh...

Yes, I knew that.. One man's loss is another's gain, huh? Well Thanks anyway and good luck with yours.. It's great, esp when you look at the technology screen difference between the MBP and my Cinema screen

Rob

pb12lover
20th November 2008, 05:31 PM
UPDATE:
What i Ordered
-Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz (the the rest was standard) + Mini DP to DVI adapter

The Story
-I ordered this on the 16th Oct at JB HiFi - was told 2-3 weeks
-was told that Apple would not allow any reseller orders for 1 week
-Macbook Pro finally ordered on the 26th October - was told 2 weeks from the 26th
-Checked in on 14th November - still not arrived but told that it is in Sydney and they have a consignment number - should be in 17th to 19th November

Ive been checking in every 1-2 days to see what the status is but now *some staff will not even help me at all, they just say we will call you when it comes in, no checking with Apple, No checking with their Supplier, nothing.

Im going to see them tonight and ask for the Manager, i think this is utter BS.

*Only reason i went to JB HiFi was at the time i needed 24mth interest free. I will never buy a Apple product again from JB HiFi after this.

pb12lover
20th November 2008, 08:43 PM
i just picked it up - all my anger is gone!!! im now in my blissful world of macbook pro glory

dingl
3rd December 2008, 12:26 AM
Anyone know what the turn around time and delivery route is if you order through the ADC website?

I ordered the 2.53Ghz w/ 7200RPM drive on the 24/11/08 and still no news of it being shipped :(

Keving
3rd December 2008, 01:00 AM
Anyone know what the turn around time and delivery route is if you order through the ADC website?

I ordered the 2.53Ghz w/ 7200RPM drive on the 24/11/08 and still no news of it being shipped :(

Ordered mine through ADC on 25/11/08

I ordered:

MBP 2.8 GHZ, 320 gig 7200rpm

Shipped on the first, will arrive on the 4th...

http://idisk.mac.com/kgosschalk/Public/Pictures/Skitch/TNT_Consignment_Tracker_-_details-20081203-010021.jpg

dingl
3rd December 2008, 09:29 AM
Ordered mine through ADC on 25/11/08

I ordered:

MBP 2.8 GHZ, 320 gig 7200rpm

Shipped on the first, will arrive on the 4th...

mmmm we pretty much ordered on the same date.......

arrr i think i know the delay... i picked the option to send all my items at once, they may be out of stock for the laptop bag ><

edit: maybe not... checked both au and usa stores and they both says ships within 24 hours..... back to square one :confused:

Philljc
3rd December 2008, 09:42 AM
Ordered mine last Friday and got it yesterday (Tuesday). 7200RPM. Sydney CBD.

chuppa
3rd December 2008, 10:15 AM
back to square one :confused:

Give them a call!

dingl
3rd December 2008, 11:09 AM
Give them a call!

Sure will, as soon as i get home from work... but i shoot off an email already :)

dingl
3rd December 2008, 07:12 PM
Woot good news, no idea whats going on but its arriving tomorrow from Sydney? Can't wait!!!

Keving
3rd December 2008, 10:39 PM
Woot good news, no idea whats going on but its arriving tomorrow from Sydney? Can't wait!!!

Must have been on the same boat mine was on! Mine's also coming from Sydney tomorrow! :D

Yay us and our fancy new MBPs!

My 24 inch iMac arrived today too, yay apple stuff!

dingl
3rd December 2008, 11:29 PM
Yep YEY to us :D:D:D