PDA

View Full Version : MBP's from David Jones

chuppa
4th November 2008, 12:52 AM
Has anyone got their hands on a MBP from DJ's yet?

I've got one on order and I'm getting very itchy hands waiting on their stock to arrive - which they can't give a definite date on :(

4th November 2008, 07:16 AM

I've got one on order and I'm getting very itchy hands waiting on their stock to arrive - which they can't give a definite date on :(

i got my macbook from Adelaide last wednesday and they had old and new mbp in store, i know because i was going pull the trigger on either of the three and opted for the little guy.

sox11
4th November 2008, 08:29 AM
i've bought from david jones before and it took, around 3 weeks for it to arrive

STK
4th November 2008, 08:39 AM
I was in DJ's (doncaster) 2 days ago and they send no DJ store in AUS has the new mbp in stock. Odd, because compnow in doncaster had plenty!

Chief911
4th November 2008, 08:45 AM
mine's on order from DJ'S melbourne and i hear arrival around the 15th! Sucks ey

MrJesseRoss
4th November 2008, 09:04 AM
I was in DJ's (doncaster) 2 days ago and they send no DJ store in AUS has the new mbp in stock. Odd, because compnow in doncaster had plenty!

DJs don't order so many in, usually. They usually have a few iMacs on hand, but most of the Macbooks I ever saw in stock were customer orders. Those that aren't special orders go very fast.

chuppa
4th November 2008, 05:13 PM
mine's on order from DJ'S melbourne and i hear arrival around the 15th! Sucks ey

15th being a Saturday? Sounds like they're pulling dates from their ****. It's very surprising (and annoying) that they have not had any stock of the MBP's to date apart from demo models.

thorntonp
4th November 2008, 05:24 PM
Checked with DJ's Brisbane today - none in stock and not expecting any major shipments. Said they got one or two last week, sold immediately and not expecting major stock for another month. may get another 1 or 2 over next couple of weeks

so, I ordered one from apple today, and it's been shipped this arvo

can't wait till tomorrow!!

Chief911
4th November 2008, 05:52 PM
he said around the 15th! more a generalization to the middle of the month, but i get ya point as to the 15th being a saturday!

chuppa
5th November 2008, 02:40 PM
Just got an e-mail from DJ's - they've now got 18 months interest free, no deposit on...

Looks like their delay has been worth it - now if they'd only get some stock in so I can get my 10% off MBP!!!!!

chuppa
6th November 2008, 01:18 PM
Just got a call from DJ's Sydney City - They have some MBP's in stock now!!!

Now just need to go in and pick it up! Time to convert from Windoze

chosen
10th November 2008, 06:18 PM
^Is David Jones having a sale, I couldn't see any in their online catalogues.

chuppa
10th November 2008, 06:27 PM
^Is David Jones having a sale, I couldn't see any in their online catalogues.

No - they just matched JB on the 10% off...

noidea
10th November 2008, 06:50 PM
i paid full price for the Macbook $2099 from DJ. I don't know we can negotiate the price at DJ :(

chuppa
10th November 2008, 07:36 PM
DJ's match all advertised prices (better than MYER). It's part of their price promise David Jones (http://www.davidjones.com.au/services/price_promise/price_promise.jsp)

It's the only reason I shop there now... (plus the gift wrapping service)

Chief911
10th November 2008, 07:48 PM
stopped by a few days back, still on the way (Melbourne that is) they got a few, on special order that is comps that arn't stock! stock comps are expected for this or next wednesday!

chuppa
10th November 2008, 09:07 PM
I know that mine was a lucky one to come in - was shipped from Apple's Pitt St office to DJ's Market St in the Sydney CBD - a whole block :P

The Apple guy said I was incredibly lucky to get it - even though it was on order!

tarky7
11th November 2008, 05:38 PM
why david jones??? why not just go to an apple store :confused:

Chief911
11th November 2008, 06:19 PM
because they were matching JB's 10% discount and you get 48 mths interest free.... thats why! stock MBP 2.4 GHz is $2876 (if you ordered throughout the sale period 2 weeks or so back) instead of $3199 when you buy them now!

tarky7
11th November 2008, 08:40 PM
interest free..do people pay off computers?

Buthidae
11th November 2008, 09:37 PM

Still waiting on my 2.5 MBP on order - the suspense is killing me! They got a 2.4 display model in the other day just to stick the knife in. The guy reckons that's the only one they got (they already had a MB) :(

Chief911
12th November 2008, 06:46 PM
almost 3 grand is a bit of money, not everyone has that cash lying around... plus also means you can spend left over cash on other things...

MrJesseRoss
12th November 2008, 06:56 PM
interest free..do people pay off computers?

What do you think? Of course they do. They wouldn't go for interest free payment options if they didn't. Not everyone is able to blow $3,000 or so in one go.

Buthidae
18th November 2008, 04:50 PM
*sigh* still waiting :(

I'm actually standing in the store at the moment (using one of the display models), been waiting for a call back since ~10.30 this morning (promised half an hour). I feel pretty fobbed off - they keep telling me nothing has come in but I feel a little like I'm being fed porkies! Since then I spoke to another store who told me there are 41 2.53GHz MBP's in the country, of which two are in the Perth City store. :mad:

So... spoke to the store my order is with again and was promised another call back within an hour - that was just under 90 minutes ago. The interest free isn't as much of a factor for me now so I'll be giving them until midday Thursday to call me and say it's ready to pick up, or I'll cancel my order and go through Apple directly. :thumbdn:

Seems like that did just the ticket! First port typed from my shiny new GlassBook Pro! :D

zigzagler
19th November 2008, 11:07 AM
because they were matching JB's 10% discount and you get 48 mths interest free.... thats why! stock MBP 2.4 GHz is $2876 (if you ordered throughout the sale period 2 weeks or so back) instead of $3199 when you buy them now!

Are you sure they allow 48mths interest free on top of the 10% discount? AFAIK, all merchant would be charged 16-17% for interest free plan, this would mean DJ is selling at a lost...

chuppa
19th November 2008, 11:28 AM
Are you sure they allow 48mths interest free on top of the 10% discount? AFAIK, all merchant would be charged 16-17% for interest free plan, this would mean DJ is selling at a lost...

Yes they do/did (I got it).

arkenstone
19th November 2008, 12:10 PM
Yes they do/did (I got it).

I got 48 months after the 10% discount too.

zigzagler
21st November 2008, 01:37 PM

only thru DJ? may I know on which Credit Card?

arkenstone
21st November 2008, 01:41 PM
only thru DJ? may I know on which Credit Card?

DJ Store credit (i.e. their store card, not a 'real' credit card like a Visa or MasterCard)

zigzagler
21st November 2008, 01:49 PM
what is the requirement to get one of those cards then? How do you make repayment may I ask? sorry but I'm new to this...Thanks.

Abaddon
21st November 2008, 03:48 PM

Hi arkenstone, is the 48 months available year round or only at selected times?

TIA

chuppa
21st November 2008, 04:58 PM
DJ Store credit (i.e. their store card, not a 'real' credit card like a Visa or MasterCard)

They also have a new DJ's AMEX card - same deal.

Int Free periods change through-out the year. Think they always have 12/18 months on. Have a look at davidjones.com.au

zigzagler
24th November 2008, 11:31 AM
Hi guys,

This is what I found out from the website (http://www.davidjones.com.au/services/terms_conditions.jsp).

* 18 Months Interest Free
* LIMITED TIME 2 Year Interest Free

18 Months Interest Free

* *The 18 months interest free offer is available with no deposit on all homewares, furniture, bedding and electrical goods with a single transaction value of $500 or more purchased using a David Jones Storecard or David Jones American Express Card. American Express® Australia Limited ABN 92 108 952 085 is the credit provider for the David Jones Storecard and David Jones American Express Card ® Registered trademark of American Express Company. New Cardmembers are welcome. All new applications are subject to American Express’s normal lending criteria. Each new interest free instalment credit option incurs a $35 establishment fee and a $2.95 monthly account keeping fee applies to every instalment credit option. The purchase price is payable in 18 equal monthly instalments which will be added to your David Jones Storecard or David Jones American Express Card monthly statements commencing from the statement period which applies to the date of purchase. If payments are not made on time, interest charges and fees may apply in accordance with the terms and conditions of your David Jones Storecard or David Jones American Express Card account. Not available in conjunction with any price reduction pursuant to the David Jones price promise.
† Homewares, furniture, bedding and electrical goods are available at selected stores only.

LIMITED TIME 2 Years Interest Free

* *The 2 years interest free offer is available with no deposit on all homewares, furniture, bedding and electrical goods with a single transaction value of $500 or more purchased using a David Jones Storecard or David Jones American Express Card. American Express® Australia Limited ABN 92 108 952 085 is the credit provider for the David Jones Storecard and David Jones American Express Card ® Registered trademark of American Express Company. New Cardmembers are welcome. All new applications are subject to American Express’s normal lending criteria. Each new interest free instalment credit option incurs a $35 establishment fee and a $2.95 monthly account keeping fee applies to every instalment credit option. The purchase price is payable in 24 equal monthly instalments which will be added to your David Jones Storecard or David Jones American Express Card monthly statements commencing from the statement period which applies to the date of purchase. If payments are not made on time, interest charges and fees may apply in accordance with the terms and conditions of your David Jones Storecard or David Jones American Express Card account. Not available in conjunction with any price reduction pursuant to the David Jones price promise.
† Homewares, furniture, bedding and electrical goods are available at selected stores only.

Does that mean that I have to pay an initial establishment fee of $35 & $2.95 monthly fees on top of my monthly repayment?

arkenstone
24th November 2008, 12:10 PM
Does that mean that I have to pay an initial establishment fee of $35 & $2.95 monthly fees on top of my monthly repayment?

Yup.

As for how you make repayments, I just pay via bpay (or i believe you can also pay in store)

$2200 over 18 months is only $122, less than a big night out, so it makes a big number into a lot of little numbers. Much more managable (I'm paying around $300 a month off it so it should be mostly gone come February in case there's something I desperately want at MacWorld)

zigzagler
24th November 2008, 12:20 PM
Yup.

As for how you make repayments, I just pay via bpay (or i believe you can also pay in store)

$2200 over 18 months is only $122, less than a big night out, so it makes a big number into a lot of little numbers. Much more managable (I'm paying around $300 a month off it so it should be mostly gone come February in case there's something I desperately want at MacWorld)

I see...does that mean that you can pay it off sooner than the contract period? Also, do you get a full amount of Tax Invoice when you got the notebook? If not, what kinda information does it show in your Tax Invoice. Sorry to ask those details as it'd really help me out with my tax claim. :)

P/S: did you apply the card online / in-store?

mallo
24th November 2008, 12:25 PM
Hey mate,

I am currently Paying off a MacPro on their 12month interest free option (got it about 2-3months ago). For tax purpouses, each time I pay the monthly bill I get sent, that bill then becomes a tax invoice, so the tax is divided over 12 monthly bills.

For what its worth I also applied in store, and found out result 24hrs later.

arkenstone
24th November 2008, 12:31 PM
I see...does that mean that you can pay it off sooner than the contract period?

Yes.

Also, do you get a full amount of Tax Invoice when you got the notebook?
Pretty sure you do.

Did you apply the card online / in-store?

In-store a few years ago. My girlfriend with dodgy credit history was approved in-store while I (with double the income and a flawless credit rating) had to submit proof of income in both pay sheets + bank statements and they called me a few days later with the approval notice.

Not sure if it'd help if you took in a bill (proof of id) and a pay slip and a bank statement with you at the time. Perhaps give them a call and ask the question.

Be aware too the $35 + $2.95 aren't interest free (they accrue insterest at some astounding rate around the 20% mark) so if you miss a payment or two things can get out of control.

I'm not paying this way because it's more economical, I'm paying this way because it suits me.

zigzagler
24th November 2008, 12:42 PM
Yes.

Pretty sure you do.

In-store a few years ago. My girlfriend with dodgy credit history was approved in-store while I (with double the income and a flawless credit rating) had to submit proof of income in both pay sheets + bank statements and they called me a few days later with the approval notice.

Not sure if it'd help if you took in a bill (proof of id) and a pay slip and a bank statement with you at the time. Perhaps give them a call and ask the question.

Be aware too the $35 + $2.95 aren't interest free (they accrue insterest at some astounding rate around the 20% mark) so if you miss a payment or two things can get out of control.

I'm not paying this way because it's more economical, I'm paying this way because it suits me.

Alright...thanks mate!

lucid.motion
7th February 2009, 12:49 PM
The 5 Year Interest Free Offer appars to be on again till 1st of march 2009. :)

I am very tempted to get a MPB 15" using this.

it'll work out roughly $45 a month after paying the 1/3 deposit.

Anyone know if DJ's will do any further discounts as well as enabling the 5 year offer?

I only ask because when I bought my Quad G5 from Myers on a 4 Year Interest Free Deal they also knocked a few hundred off the price after I complained that they couldn't do a student discount.

Chief911
10th April 2009, 06:15 PM
.Anyone know if DJ's will do any further discounts as well as enabling the 5 year offer?

They will price match, thats how i got mine, when JB had there 10% off sale, so look around for any discounts,

btw, cost price is around $2900 so they don't make much margin on them....