PDA

View Full Version : [Merged] Who and where to buy an iPhone/Outright pricing

iNinja
3rd November 2008, 06:04 PM
Hi everyone,

New to the forum and just saying hi first :)

I am looking at buying an iPhone most likely this weekend and just wondering on who I should be going with?

I want to spend around $70-80 a month. I was leaning towards Virgins plan but the other optus and telstra plans are a little confusing to me.

I kind of wanted a 12 month contract though, but Optus are a little over my budget if I have read their plans correctly (as mentioned above, a little confusing to me).

matthew858
3rd November 2008, 06:06 PM
Optus has the best value plans, but really bad reception. Telstra has really bad plans, but really good reception. Voda is in the middle. Virgin is basically Optus.

That's the iPhone in a nutshell. Choose which one you want more - reception or value for money. Live outside a capitol city and you really have to go with Telstra.

FBTN
3rd November 2008, 06:38 PM
If you wanna your 3G iPhone work on 3G speed, Go for Telstra!

chrisongtj
3rd November 2008, 07:01 PM
Any opinions about buying outright and using it on 3? I'm a bit skeptical, I don't even think they provide official iPhone support?

Finally any thoughts on the Optus Timeless plans? $114 per month for a timeless (unlimited voice/sms) plan plus additional $14 for 1.5gb data plan, phone comes with the plan.

Optus also have a $79 plan with $550 included credit and 700mb data, $30 for phone on 12month and free on the 24month contract. I guess I'll have to see if 700mb is enough (I barely use 50mb on my Nokia E65 checking googlemaps and gmail, but that might change with new toys).

iNinja
5th November 2008, 06:27 PM
I will check out Vodafone but I am against using TLS for anything at all. And I think it will be either Virgin or Vodafone at the moment (if Voda plans look ok.)

Am outside the 3G area but travel into it very regulary

chrisongtj
6th November 2008, 02:49 AM
Voda seem to be one of the most expensive at the moment, $79 for $550 of credit with 400mb of data. Free 8gb phone, $5 for 16gb model...

Similar pricing to optus, but you're getting the short end of the stick with regards to data allowance though.

I've yet to decide myself.. probably will wait till beginning of next year.

Pooyan
6th November 2008, 04:59 PM
Hi everyone,
I want to spend around $70-80 a month. I was leaning towards Virgins plan but the other optus
and telstra plans are a little confusing to me.

For what it's worth, I'm on the Virgin $70 iPhone plan (1GB of data a month, etc). As others have mentioned that means that it's on the Optus network, but I've not had any problems with the network thus far, maybe because I'm not in Sydney or Melbourne? Anyway, it's working fine for me here in Adelaide.

I kind of wanted a 12 month contract though, but Optus are a little over my budget if I have read their plans correctly (as mentioned above, a little confusing to me).

The Virgin plan is fairly easy to get out of after 6 months, it boils down to needing to pay the remaining handset payments, no nasty "termination" fees. Within 6 months it is an extra $250 to exit the contract.

I recommend that you download one of the iPhone plan spreadsheets that are on the web and explore your options based on your typical phone usage.

ozymandias
6th November 2008, 05:38 PM
When looking at these, you won't need as much data as you think, I have the Optus 750MB plan @ $79 and I use around 200MB, I really wish I went with the lower plan now!

joshie1001
6th November 2008, 07:25 PM
I am currently with Optus, and its annoying because sometimes it uses the 3G network and then sometimes it isn't.

I don't know anything about Telstra but since its partly owned by the government, i would highly suggest it :)

Have fun!

Galumay
6th November 2008, 07:33 PM
I don't know anything about Telstra but since its partly owned by the government

not any more it isnt!

Aladdin
6th November 2008, 08:08 PM
not any more it isnt!

Actually, the Future Fund (sorta like the Government, but at arms length) still has a significant stake in Telstra.

Though I do not envisage the Governmnet will or is able to exercise any overt control over the Telstra board.

dolbinau
6th November 2008, 08:17 PM
FWIW, I noticed Optus - Sydney is working so much better in the past few weeks. It wasn't reception that was my main issue, rather just (what I assume) overcrowded 3G networks which wouldn't let me browse anything.

I say this now, and I bet it'll go back to the way it was (unusable). But maybe it's fixed.

Xenophos
7th November 2008, 08:58 AM
I'm on Optus which is good enough for my needs, but Telstra has caught up a lot price wise (not completely, though), is faster and has better coverage. For the sort of plan you're looking at, look more to your phone needs than data, as others have said, you won't use that much regardless of who you go with.

jantar
7th November 2008, 09:26 AM
I have had a lot of problems with Optus reception (middle of Melbourne), it really spoils the point of having an iPhone.

Your reception area might be a lot better than mine, and if your using Optus for private calls maybe .......... but my view is that no small business that relies on a mobile can afford to take a risk with them.

fwiw

forgie
7th November 2008, 10:37 PM
This seems like as good a place as any to ask this question... (the thread is only a coupla days old, it seems "on topic")

Can you buy iPhones pre-paid anywhere in Australia at the moment?

stewy38
9th November 2008, 07:32 AM
Hi All

Does anyone know how much the 8gb or 16gb Iphone cost to buy outright

Thanks

Stewy

petecario
9th November 2008, 07:50 AM
They are very hard to buy outright, but I believe the Harvey Norman near me sells the 8gb outright for $729, I'm pretty sure thats how much it was when I saw it.

melbmac
9th November 2008, 10:31 AM
If only this forum had a search feature!

iMac
10th November 2008, 06:53 PM
AFAIK, Telstra sell it outright, but then charge you $150 for the unlock.

Check the fine print to make sure, I almost bit when they first came out, and then found out that they raped you for the unlock as well as the phone...

Sebastianmonty
10th November 2008, 07:31 PM
If only this forum had a search feature!

My friend was after the same thing. The search feature is no google. Tried to find the memory loop test that decryption posted a week ago. Although im sure someone can find it, it is not easy.
As for the forums they are massive and I still don't know where to get an outright phone from either.

matthew858
10th November 2008, 07:37 PM
Search Mac Talk (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/search.php)

PS: Optus is the only company that is continuing to sell the iPhone outright. You can pick one up for about $800 unlocked.

byrnsie
10th November 2008, 07:46 PM
AFAIK, Telstra sell it outright, but then charge you $150 for the unlock.

Check the fine print to make sure, I almost bit when they first came out, and then found out that they raped you for the unlock as well as the phone...
They do but I think most stores are only selling the 8gb outright, but I'm sure that some Telstra stores would sell the 16gb without a plan still. But when they first came out Telstra charged I think $726 for the 8gb and $850 for the 16gb.

natzca
11th November 2008, 09:24 PM
anyone have any links or locations of where the iphone can be bought outright at these prices?
everywhere i go, they say they don't sell it outright...

Razer
11th November 2008, 10:14 PM
I picked up a 16GB for $849 outright from an optus store in Adelaide CBD. Have to buy $80 to worth of credit to unlock it though so it's not cheap. Keep checking optus stores, they sell them :)

Bosox76
11th November 2008, 10:35 PM
I picked up a 16GB for $849 outright from an optus store in Adelaide CBD. Have to buy $80 to worth of credit to unlock it though so it's not cheap. Keep checking optus stores, they sell them :)

Which one? and when? I'm looking to get one for my gf for xmas. Did you get it recently??
Thanks

scruffie
11th November 2008, 11:46 PM
I ordered mine from an optus reseller.
Prices were 8 gig for $776 and 16 gig for $850 unlocked

Bosox76
17th November 2008, 03:33 PM
FYI, just picked up one from Optus World in Unley. They had 8 (now 7) Black 16gb. And from what i could tell they had other models too. It appears that at least close to town they are the only ones left who have stock. Hope this helps to any out there still looking for pre-paid.

Just have to wait for the unlock to work now.

Huy
17th November 2008, 03:52 PM
How much did you pay, Bosox76? $849?

And if anyone wanted to know: Vodafone, back in July: 8GB $785, 16GB $916?
Yes. It was a ripoff. But it was outright and it was available on the 2nd day after launch (the Saturday). Plus they had stock (unlike Optus). And I wasn't about to go Telstra. ;)

givememac
17th November 2008, 04:53 PM
I was told today (by a guy at Allphones) that they aren't allowed to sell them outright anymore because they get in trouble from Apple??
He said RRP would be $729 for 8GB

Beau
17th November 2008, 05:10 PM
Bought one on Saturday from Telstra Shop, West Lakes (Adelaide).

16GB Black - $847. Just asked whether I was a current Telstra customer or not :)

pezza_mac
17th November 2008, 07:54 PM

Bosox76
18th November 2008, 09:11 AM
How much did you pay, Bosox76? $849?

And if anyone wanted to know: Vodafone, back in July: 8GB $785, 16GB $916?
Yes. It was a ripoff. But it was outright and it was available on the 2nd day after launch (the Saturday). Plus they had stock (unlike Optus). And I wasn't about to go Telstra. ;)

Yeap $849 for the 16gb. Then needed $80 of redit to apply for the unlock.

I was told today (by a guy at Allphones) that they aren't allowed to sell them outright anymore because they get in trouble from Apple??
He said RRP would be $729 for 8GB

Allphones ay Marion said that they could do it for somewhere around $1000, whatever that means, but they could guarentee the timing of getting the device.

Bosox76
18th November 2008, 09:21 AM
BUMP! I too can't seem to find a definitive answer to this. Can iPhones be got on pre-paid anymore?

getting rarer, but it seems some optus dealers still sell outright. Telstra will sell 8gb models if you're an exsisting telstra customer. Vodafone i'm not sure.

tcn33
18th November 2008, 09:28 AM
Merged threads to keep discussion of outright purchase in one place.

Huy
18th November 2008, 10:37 AM
Vodafone aren't selling at all.

Beau
18th November 2008, 11:00 PM
getting rarer, but it seems some optus dealers still sell outright. Telstra will sell 8gb models if you're an exsisting telstra customer. Vodafone i'm not sure.

I got a 16GB outright on Saturday.
Just ask for one outright and tell them you're currently in a contract. Easy

givememac
18th November 2008, 11:31 PM
I got a 16GB outright on Saturday.
Just ask for one outright and tell them you're currently in a contract. Easy

lol, what if you aren't on a contract? they dont check?

Beau
19th November 2008, 06:31 PM
lol, what if you aren't on a contract? they dont check?
Nope, didn't check for me at least. :)
Then straight after it was unbricked, they slipped in my current SIM card and I was up and running!

omelette
19th November 2008, 11:26 PM
Just had a quick trawl around the Sydney CBD for outright purchase:

T life (George Street)
Only selling 8gb models, you have to buy a telstra mobile prepay account ($25) 24 prior to purchasing the iphone - $762.30 + $150 unlocking fee

Next Byte (Pitt Street)
8 GB $899
16 GB $1099
Unlock $150

Virgin
Queue too long so gave up

Telstra (Westfield, Pitt Street)
16 GB $847 +$150 unlocking fee, no previous Telstra account needed

justinwwj
23rd November 2008, 01:20 PM
Just had a quick trawl around the Sydney CBD for outright purchase:

T life (George Street)
Only selling 8gb models, you have to buy a telstra mobile prepay account ($25) 24 prior to purchasing the iphone - $762.30 + $150 unlocking fee

Next Byte (Pitt Street)
8 GB $899
16 GB $1099
Unlock $150

Virgin
Queue too long so gave up

Hey Buddy,
Do you know if Telstra (Westfield, Pitt Street) is selling 8 GB outright or not?

EdgeOfQuarrel
25th November 2008, 12:01 AM
so would you say ebay is actually not such a bad deal with these iphone thingamajigs?
I was seeing a lot for $1000+ but i guess if you factor in they're unlocked and there's no runaround looking in shops ect for them.

EdgeOfQuarrel
25th November 2008, 12:13 AM
Next Byte (Pitt Street)
8 GB $899
16 GB $1099
Unlock $150

pardon my dumbness but who does next byte sell for?
And is it only the pitt st store?

Huy
25th November 2008, 12:26 AM
I think Next Byte does Telstra.

$150 unlock is too expensive.

givememac
25th November 2008, 10:26 PM
I think Next Byte does Telstra.

$150 unlock is too expensive.

unlocking should be free

lol, im pretty sure its free for ANY vodafone mobile EXCEPT the iphone!

Syrecx
26th November 2008, 04:49 AM
is unblocking as easy as calling them up? or do they have to physically do something to it

Bosox76
26th November 2008, 11:02 AM
pardon my dumbness but who does next byte sell for?
And is it only the pitt st store?

I think they sell for $1299 or there abouts....crazy

Samb0
26th November 2008, 11:10 AM
Optus has the best value plans, but really bad reception. Telstra has really bad plans, but really good reception. Voda is in the middle. Virgin is basically Optus.

That's the iPhone in a nutshell. Choose which one you want more - reception or value for money. Live outside a capitol city and you really have to go with Telstra.

now interestingly enough one Launch Optus had no 16GB I was desperate for an iphon. So I went Telstra because we have Home Phone, Internet, Foxtel Also with Telstra. My phone was able to give us more discounts and 125 Free SMS a month on my phone which was good and I'v never looked back.

Next Byte are Selling for Telstra
I think all there stores are selling it.

givememac
26th November 2008, 12:26 PM
is unblocking as easy as calling them up? or do they have to physically do something to it

Im not sure really, I've read on here some people have had to wait 24hrs?

DarkSpark
26th November 2008, 12:43 PM
in anutshell

if you want cheap take optus

if you want a working iphone take telstra

Syrecx
26th November 2008, 03:26 PM
givememac - disregard the wait, but can you unlock by calling them? yes? no?

givememac
26th November 2008, 06:42 PM
givememac - disregard the wait, but can you unlock by calling them? yes? no?

yep Im 99% sure its as easy as that (someone confirm?)