PDA

View Full Version : Apple RAM in new MacBook Pro or install your own?

Mohawk
3rd November 2008, 12:28 PM
This may have been covered somewhere, I had a quick look, but am out of time.

I'm going to be ordering my MacBook Pro from JB this afternoon. I wanted to know if it's worth going with Apple to upgrade the RAM to 4GB? I'm running with the base model, so it only has 2GB.
I understand that you're normally better off buying your own RAM. But seeing as the new MBPs use faster 1066MHz DDR3 RAM I was wondering if it's still cheaper to do it yourself.

Thanks.

matthew858
3rd November 2008, 12:31 PM
Apple's ram is way too expensive. Try a small computer store and you can probably pick up some bargains. The only problem is that DDR3 ram is very expensive at the moment.

samuelowens
3rd November 2008, 12:34 PM
It's not cheaper just at the moment, particularly with the 10% off at JB. A 2x2GB kit costs about $249 from Macfixit, while the upgrade from Apple is $240, less 10%. Of course, you do get two 1GB SO-DIMMs with the DIY route, but you won't have anywhere else to use them...

Go BTO...

JimWOz
3rd November 2008, 12:41 PM
Apple's ram is way too expensive. ... The only problem is that DDR3 ram is very expensive at the moment.

Apple's $240 to CTO up to 4G is actually quite a good price.
Their separate upgrade price of $480 is not so good.
Try importing some from OWC or check out RAMCitys prices. - I think the Apple CTO is good.

The 1G sticks you take out if you go for an upgrade will not be of much use to anyone else, as all the new Apple machines are shipping with 2x!G minimum, so not much resale opportunity. - Like trying to sell 256MB sticks of DDR2.

Mohawk
3rd November 2008, 12:42 PM
It's not cheaper just at the moment, particularly with the 10% off at JB. A 2x2GB kit costs about $249 from Macfixit, while the upgrade from Apple is $240, less 10%. Of course, you do get two 1GB SO-DIMMs with the DIY route, but you won't have anywhere else to use them...

Go BTO...

Excellent, that's what I had thought, but I couldn't think of the places to check.
I hope it doesn't mean that I'll have to wait much longer than the two weeks JB is mentioning...

I'm half expecting to walk away with some extra Apple tech aswell. 1TB Time Capsule... :rolleyes: give me strength.