PDA

View Full Version : iPhone screen just cracked!

jastormont
3rd November 2008, 11:54 AM
Hi all,

My friend just called me and said that his iPhone screen just cracked while he was talking to someone!

He said it felt warm at the time while he was using it and the the screen just cracked. He is going to take some photos of it so I can post them on here for you all to see.

He spoke to Optus and they do not wnat to know about it saying "that he has damaged it". I suggested to hime to talk to Apple and see what they say. What do you all think?

denwol
3rd November 2008, 11:57 AM
cheeks of stone maybe :)

melbmac
3rd November 2008, 02:08 PM
I think it sucks.

The problem is, he is going to have an awful hard time proving that he did not break it. I would not be surprised if he is met with a dose of bad attitude as the guys at the phone store will have heard the "it just broke on it's own" story about a million times before.

Try apple, but I think it'll be much the same.

denwol
3rd November 2008, 02:12 PM
I think it sucks.

The problem is, he is going to have an awful hard time proving that he did not break it. I would not be surprised if he is met with a dose of bad attitude as the guys at the phone store will have heard the "it just broke on it's own" story about a million times before.

Try apple, but I think it'll be much the same.

It does suck if it is true, but the question that will always be asked is how on earth can a screen 'just break' while you are talking on the phone?

blakat
3rd November 2008, 02:13 PM
Sounds a lot like the "it just fell out of my hand onto soft soft carpet" story where reality = fell 8' down a flight of stairs onto concrete... or all the people who jammed iPod nano's into tight pockets and nearly snapped them in half.

mac_man_luke
3rd November 2008, 02:15 PM
If there are no obvious drop marks and the break is a single fracture i cant see how they can get away with not replacing it

take it to an optus store so the can actually see it (or even better an apple store if you have one near)

dolbinau
3rd November 2008, 04:06 PM
Mine has no drop marks at all, my crack is a single hairline crack, and I was rejected from the genius bar at Sydney within 10 seconds.

F#$#$#$#% annoying. Because mine really did happen out of no where.

But I have Optus insurance. Will make the claim soon, waiting for my excess to go down - we can claim if it was self damage, right?

jastormont
4th November 2008, 07:14 PM
Well here are some pics of it (sorry they are blurry I did not take the pics but will try and get some better pics when I see him on the weekend):

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk140/jastormont/th_DSCF1031_2.jpg (http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk140/jastormont/?action=view&current=DSCF1031_2.jpg) http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk140/jastormont/th_DSCF1032_2.jpg (http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk140/jastormont/?action=view&current=DSCF1032_2.jpg)

He has told me that it has just cracked on it own and has not been dropped or hit. I have seen glass do this before in a TV which had glass that covered the front of the actual picture tube. I think it might be due to very small glass fracture from when it is forged.

The only thing that he mentioned is that when this happened he also noticed the phone was quite warm so perhaps this caused a hair line fracture to end up shattering?

DeanCorp
4th November 2008, 07:23 PM
What ever you do, do NOT restore it. Apple have the tools to check the temperatures that the phone has reached. If you restore it, the data becomes erased and Apple have no way of telling whether the phone actually overheated.

jastormont
4th November 2008, 07:55 PM
What ever you do, do NOT restore it. Apple have the tools to check the temperatures that the phone has reached. If you restore it, the data becomes erased and Apple have no way of telling whether the phone actually overheated.

Thanks for that info, that is very good to know.

Cheers...

Jonno92
13th November 2008, 07:06 PM
they are pretty hard to break. my friend dropped a 20kg weight on his iPhone and it only just got a little crack in it lol.. too bad man. Speak to apple and see what they say.

ozymandias
13th November 2008, 08:25 PM
Dude that's no little crack, thats a smash. Good luck with getting it sorted.

melbmac
14th November 2008, 09:57 AM
Ahhh, i'm sorry, but to me that looks like more than a crack. If I had to guess I'd say it got squashed somehow, sat on maybe.

That said I am not qualified to make that call in any way, good luck to your mate tho...