PDA

View Full Version : I has switched!

Joe91
2nd November 2008, 06:47 PM
Yep, have had my first ever Mac (got the 2.4GHz MB) for a few hours now! Haven't played with it a great deal yet, just done software updates and installed MSN. Spent most of the time trying to get the AirPort Extreme working - not very fun.

Forgot to get unboxing pics (was too excited) but I plan to write up a review once I've had a few weeks to play with it. Just need to get a sleeve and a backpack with lappie compartment then I'll be using it at school (which is what I got it for).

Stoked :)

petecario
2nd November 2008, 06:48 PM
That's great! Hope you enjoy your new Mac.

elnewb
2nd November 2008, 06:54 PM
Trying to get Airport Extreme working? What problems could you possibly have had?

Instead of using the Microsoft version of MSN uses Adium.
Adium - Download (http://www.adiumx.com/)

vietnow
2nd November 2008, 06:58 PM
welcome to the giant mac family.

its nice here and most things seem to just 'work'. like elnewb said get adium -- easily one of the best apps out there. also for your mac app goodness hit Mac OS X Software Updates and Mac OS X Downloads - VersionTracker (http://www.versiontracker.com) they're great. also have a trawl of the apps section here, lots of threads with people raving about the underground app they've found that saves them x amount of time and x amount of stuffing around. have fun with it, also once you've learned all of osx's little quirks you'll never go back.

Rasta
2nd November 2008, 07:03 PM
Welcome welcome welcome...

Now you can look down your nose at everyone else who hasn't seen the light...

mechcon
2nd November 2008, 07:04 PM
But keep in mind, that Adium is only good if you use more than one protocol. Sticking with the MSN Messenger is great too.

Another great site for grabbing applications is MacUpdate: Mac Software & iPhone Downloads from Apple (http://www.macupdate.com)

petecario
2nd November 2008, 07:07 PM
I also agree, Adium is awesome!!

mitty
2nd November 2008, 07:20 PM
Wow, the switchers are flooding in... we need a switchers club :) I wonder how many people have switched since iphone?

matthew858
2nd November 2008, 07:25 PM
Wow, the switchers are flooding in... we need a switchers club :) I wonder how many people have switched since iphone?

*puts his hand up*

Joe91
2nd November 2008, 07:27 PM
Thanks guys - happy to be a part of the family! :)

Had a brief look at Adium, not sure of it so far but will give it a chance to grow on me.

Copying my iTunes library over the network at the moment, am going off a tutorial I found on the net so hopefully that goes smooth.

So far there's a few simple things I'm loving about the whole Mac experience: love the trackpad gestures and the MagSafe to name a few.

mayken
2nd November 2008, 07:33 PM
Friday's my big switch day, got the last part of the money for my mac book coming in Thursday so I'll be driving down to get mine then.

So looking forward to it.:D

Oh also getting an iPhone only made me want a Mac more, I've wanted to switch for a few years now but never had the ready cash for it

zack2009
2nd November 2008, 10:18 PM
Horray, I totally switched to Mac on 20 October 2008! It's of course from the iPhone affect (which I got on the first day it came out in Australia):p

I am now using 20" iMac 2.66 Ghz, and loving every bit of it. I love front row where I can watch movies using the remote.

Madeezy
2nd November 2008, 10:43 PM
My switch moment should be arriving in the mail on Tuesday :-)
I have a question though regards upgrading the ram should I ask it here or post in another thread?

djiashi
3rd November 2008, 12:25 AM
congratulations and enjoy the new mac experience!

tdm911
3rd November 2008, 02:55 AM
I switched since the iPhone also.

Was last Friday night to be exact. New MacBook 2.0GHz. Loving it so far!

mayken
8th November 2008, 03:49 PM
Just so as not to start a new "switched" post I'll add mine here

I picked up my refurbished black mac book yesterday from New Wave Systems in Burwood and have spent a bit of last night and today setting her up, and so far it's been super easy (apart from the wireless - that made me feel dumb)

I'm really glad I picked this one as I saw the same exact model in JB HIFI for $600 more then what I paid for so got a new toy and saved me some cash. :D

matthew858
8th November 2008, 03:52 PM
Just so as not to start a new "switched" post I'll add mine here

I picked up my refurbished black mac book yesterday from New Wave Systems in Burwood and have spent a bit of last night and today setting her up, and so far it's been super easy (apart from the wireless - that made me feel dumb)

I'm really glad I picked this one as I saw the same exact model in JB HIFI for $600 more then what I paid for so got a new toy and saved me some cash. :D

Hope you enjoy it!

Madone
8th November 2008, 04:04 PM
And of course, as you know have been 'enlightened', you realise all things great about typography, imagery and style, and realise that the appropiate term is 'I have switched!' Hehehehe

chuppa
8th November 2008, 04:08 PM
I'll add my name here now :)

Bought a new MBP on Friday - love it!!! Taking a little getting used to after using Windoze since the old 3.1 days. Still not sure why there are 4 command type(fn, control, option/alt and command) keys, but I'll work that out...

Only issue I have at the moment is Firefox taking focus after a link is clicked in mail - any way to stop this???

mcargy08
8th November 2008, 04:42 PM
I did switch because of the iPhone!
I haven't put a review on my experience yet with my first ever MacBook. It's been a week already. I have ups and downs with the new mac. Well, the down mostly with airport. Always disconnected and network timeout.

ozymandias
8th November 2008, 04:56 PM
Congrats mate, I find iusethis osx software: New Releases (http://osx.iusethis.com) to be a great resource to find the programs that could be useful.

Joe91
8th November 2008, 05:24 PM
Been almost a week for me too. Ordered a few stuff off the Apple store (backpack, neoprene sleeve, remote, DVI and VGA adaptors) the other day, hopefully will arrive Monday so I can start using it at school. I plan to write up a review maybe a week or two after using it.

chuppa
8th November 2008, 05:53 PM
Hrmmm one downside - the Toffee case I bought with my MBP doesn't fit :( Must be for the older model...

conufsed
8th November 2008, 06:10 PM
Hrmmm one downside - the Toffee case I bought with my MBP doesn't fit :( Must be for the older model...

Yeah the new MBPs are a little bit bigger. Some cases can be stretched. I'm still waiting to actually get my new MBP (work is paying!)