PDA

View Full Version : Fink Tells Me My Gcc Is Error Prone?

Roochie
5th May 2005, 10:27 PM
Hey, how is everyone,

Just a quick question, which I'm hoping everyone has experienced (I can't find a thread on it) and they can tell me not to worry. I've just installed fink (Yes, I did install the development tools etc... before hand) and decided I would get my first port underway. I thought something not too taxing, maybe GIMP so I can get some decent avatars happening. I didn't realise how many dependants GIMP would have, although being the first port I guess I'm missing a tone of libraries such as ncurses etc..
Anyway I decided to do an install from source as I'm under the impression that this will optimize the port best for system? Am I right, or are all of the binaries good enough? Somewhere in the download and compile session, a message in fink arose to tell me that the version of GCC I have is known to produce errors, or something to that effect. From what I remember, it gave me the option to continue on (or maybe it just did anyway - I can't remember), but now I'm kind of nervous that fink maybe compiling dodgey binaries on me, I haven't tested the port yet, I will if it ever decides to stop compiling. So has anyone seen this, and if you have what did you do about it. I suspect that the GCC is fine for Mac OSX but maybe not what Free BSD has in mind.

Oh another short fink question. If I use fetch to get some source code (cause I don't want to spend a week compiling just at the moment), how do I get fink to recognise the source package and start compiling and installing later on? Or do I have to do that myself? I'm not really sure about installing and compiling on Linux / Unix, I've only ever done a few on linux and I pretty much just followed the directions in the readme file, ie ./make somefile,./makeinstall someother file in the right directory, is there more to it than that?

Oh I'm using panther by the way (i think the dev tools came from the disks, although I may have downloaded Xcode 2 at some stage)

elvis
18th May 2005, 11:04 PM
Apple's GCC wasn't so much "dodgey" as it didn't conform to what the main GCC tree specified. There where rare circumstances where it would compile code incorrectly, but in all of my time as a fink user (since the 10.2 days) I've not yet come across this issue.

It's always wise to stick with the latest compatible version of the Dev tools of course. XCode 1.5 with GCC 3.3 fixes all the issues or previous releases.

As for downloading code for compile later, you merely need to locate where Fink's temporary download cache lives and save everything there. I can't recall this off the top of my head (and I'm mac-less at the moment *gasp*).

The easiest thing to do would be to search your harddisk for any known files you've downloaded (GIMP tar.gz's, perhaps?) and see if they're still around. Generally if you haven't done a clean in a while, they'll stick around.

schibeci
18th May 2005, 11:13 PM
From http://fink.sourceforge,net/:

2004-11-20: Solution to gcc problems.
Apple has released the November 2004 gcc3 updater, available (upon free registration) at connect.apple.com. This updater fixes the problems with the gcc3 compiler in XCode 1.5. If you are using XCode 1.5, you should install this updater. (The updater will update correctly for users with an untouched XCode 1.5, and also for users who installed the workaround which the fink project had previously recommended.

elvis
19th May 2005, 09:41 AM
Ah bugger, I remember that one now. My apologies...

yes there where a few updates on the Apple Developer download site for 1.5. But again, in all my time using vanilla 1.5 I never had the problem. But then again, I'm no hard core developer. Just a script monkey.

Roochie
19th May 2005, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. It looks like I will have to do a system install anyway, so I'll get the right version when I do it. I'm one of those people who had a digi 001 sound card (which digidesign have declared they are no longer supporting) and thus I wont be able to upgrad to any OS X past 10.3.8.

I've found the downloaded source codes in /sw/src/, but when there are a lot of dependicies involved, how do you know which ones to compile first? Do you have to go through and untarball each one looking for readme files? This is sort of why I asked, I was hoping I'd be able to point fink to the source codes on my hard disk instead of the internet, and have it work out what order to compile and install each one. I'm probably just being lazy but I assumed that this would be possible