PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook

iwill
5th May 2005, 09:53 PM
Hi... i'm new to this forum and in the market for a 12" Combo drive Powerbook.
I've had a play with this wonderful machine at the nextbyte store in the City and LOVE it. :D

I was just wondering what sort of wait i'd be looking at, if I get an extra 512mb of ram put in, on the order.

It will be around 6-8 weeks before I get the Powerbook, so should I order it now to hopefully lessen the waiting time?
Do they know what the waiting time is, even?

Also, the price listed on the Apple store site for the 12" Combo PB is $2399. I am a Year 12 student; so would i be eligible for the student discount? And if so, what sort of price would i be looking at?

One more thing... is this 12" 1.5ghz PB a Rev-D model? The whole Rev things are a bit beyond me at the moment. :huh:

Thanks in advance,

Will Gormly.

OziMac
5th May 2005, 10:15 PM
Hi - welcome to the forums (and the stock answer).

It's useful to use the search function in the top right corner of the window to search for previous discussions. This particular discussion has been tread before.

In answer to your specific queries -

1) The wait on the store appears to be 5-7 days, which means if you order from Apple Australia, it'll probably take about a week or two for your Powerbook to arrive. However, you could probably walk into a reseller and they will install the RAM for you on the spot and you can walk out with your Powerbook that day. Ask around the shops, call Apple Australia, do a little bit of research. You don't really need to plan that far ahead - usually shipments are quite prompt (though unusual delays have been known to happen occasionally).

2) Make sure you read Apple's education store policy. As a year 12 student you are NOT eligible for the education price. Sorry. Find a mate who's at uni - though remember the warranty will be in their name.

3) Yes - the 12" 1.5GHz Powerbook is a Rev D model (replacing the 1.33GHz Rev C, 1.0GHz Rev B and 867MHz Rev A before it). :)

iwill
5th May 2005, 10:23 PM
Thankyou OziMac.
Yeah i tried searching but for the keyword of "education" it came up with about 20 pages and I couldnt really be bothered searching. :)

I got my iPod last year with the education scheme; have they changed it since then or was the lady kind enough to let it slip? :D

Thanks.

OziMac
5th May 2005, 10:30 PM
Yeah, I think you pulled a sly one ;)

asqy
5th May 2005, 10:51 PM
So in other words If I walked into Apple center in Sydney and said I wanted an ibook there is a chance that I'd walk out of the store with one?

Also if I wanted extra ram would they install it there on the spot for me?...and at what price...ie is their ram cheaper than the cost (!!!) of ram if you order online?

iwill
5th May 2005, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by asqy@May 5 2005, 10:51 PM
So in other words If I walked into Apple center in Sydney and said I wanted an ibook there is a chance that I'd walk out of the store with one?
Ick... iBook.
Get a Powerbook. :lol:

asqy
5th May 2005, 11:06 PM
money does grow on trees...:P

OziMac
5th May 2005, 11:07 PM
Most resellers have decent RAM prices, not as overinflated as the Apple Store online. But you're best off talking to them and getting them to quote you their prices. :)

For the record, I think the iBook is a terrific portable and currently holds its own against the Powerbooks - having owned rev A, B and C Powerbooks, I reckon the current Rev C iBooks are just as good if not better than some of those by far. :D

asqy
6th May 2005, 11:51 AM
no one can dispute tha powerbooks are simply the coolest looking notebooks on the market!

the ibook can turn me of a little bit because its a little bit 'look at moiy'

iwill
6th May 2005, 04:36 PM
Indeed... the powerbooks rock :D

Can't wait till i finally save up enough money to get one; but I must be self-disciplined as to not spend any of the money i earn... i know it will be hard! :D

Thanks for everyone's input.

iluvmymactoo
6th May 2005, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by asqy@May 6 2005, 11:51 AM
no one can dispute tha powerbooks are simply the coolest looking notebooks on the market!

the ibook can turn me of a little bit because its a little bit 'look at moiy'
Isn't that the point of having an Apple laptop?

I mean "hello" when I go to the cafe to surf the internet or look at my work the hell I want everyone to look at me :blink:

Kimmy as well!

iwill
6th May 2005, 10:33 PM
The powerbook is WAY more of a stunner than the ibook.
The ibook's lit up logo on the top part of the lid doesnt contrast as good as it does with the silver on the powerbook.
And the white isn't as attractive as the metallic silver, I don't reckon.

:D

Rayd
6th May 2005, 11:19 PM
id say for us apple users the powerbook will be more of a appeal than the iBook beacuse we are use to "white" products, but on a windwos users eyes they will see a powerbook and say "meh not that great.. a white apple amazing" then the iBook and they will call there freinds to look at the "white laptop" ... quite amazing really :P

daOutlawz
7th May 2005, 04:10 AM
Yeah, I just got my PowerBook 12" this week and its amazing. It looks sexah regardless what anyone thinks, iBooks and PowerBooks look sexah.

The Apple logo on the PowerBook also lights up..

The white looks as good as the metal, they both look great...

Ozi
7th May 2005, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by iwill@May 6 2005, 10:33 PM
The powerbook is WAY more of a stunner than the ibook.
The ibook's lit up logo on the top part of the lid doesnt contrast as good as it does with the silver on the powerbook.
And the white isn't as attractive as the metallic silver, I don't reckon.
The pBooks also have a brighter screen than the iBooks, so that means that the logo is brighter too. :) And yes, the Aluminium pBooks are mighty foxy.

iwill
7th May 2005, 12:55 PM
Ohh!
I cant wait.
Hmm maybe i'll take out a small personal loan ; i'm only a Checkout 'chick' at Coles.
But the interest would be huge.
But the fun i'd have on the laptop would be huge.

Whaddayareckon?

vargz
7th May 2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by iwill@May 7 2005, 12:55 PM
Ohh!
I cant wait.
Hmm maybe i'll take out a small personal loan ; i'm only a Checkout 'chick' at Coles.
But the interest would be huge.
But the fun i'd have on the laptop would be huge.

Whaddayareckon?

Mmmm..... is it really worth getting into debt for?? I can't really recommend you taking out a loan, given you are young and most likely working part-time(?).

If I was you, I'd buy what I can afford. If you can't afford it now, then save. Sure it'll take time and discipline, but if you really want the Powerbook then you'll be willing to make the sacrifices. Also it'll ensure you are making the right decision rather than an impulsive or flavour-of-the-month purchase that you may end up regretting.

When I was in uni and working only 10 hours a week, I wanted a $1700 mountain bike. Over six months I put some money aside each week and finally has the $$$ to get my new dream toy. Not only was I happy with what I had achieved in saving the money, I also felt/knew I really wanted the bike.

Anyway, just my opinion on the matter :)

iwill
8th May 2005, 04:14 PM
Good summary vargz.
I reckon i'll just try living at home for a while and not going out when I really dont need to; that'll save me a bit :D
Yeah i work part time and about 20 hours a week.
So it shouldnt be too long before i get the powerbook!
Oh, and i'll get about 900 dollars too for selling the POS PC i'm on now.
So thats helpful.

Thanks.
Will.

aquila
8th May 2005, 10:07 PM
Just thought i would bring this information I found on another forum to people's attention. It looks like with newer powerbooks, you can turn them into dual-layer burners, but have to void the warranty to do so:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?p=2501157#post2501157

And the actual product details:
http://www.panasonic-industrial.com/servle...1_l2/index.html (http://www.panasonic-industrial.com/servlet/PB/menu/1114921_l2/index.html)

Alby
10th May 2005, 04:05 PM
Hi iwill,

The wait for your Powermac will be worth it. I purchased my first laptop (15"Powerbook with superdrive and added memory) earlier this year. Bing Lee had a sale on Apple computers one Sunday and the price they were asking for was even a little less than the educational price offered at Apple Centres (I am a teacher). So I took the plunge and handed over the Visa Card. Managed to pay the amount back within three months. I don't regret this impulse buying at all - I've always wanted a laptop to take to school. I have an Airport wireless network at home and can hook up to the one at school too. My situation is a little different to yours. I'm significantly older and have fulltime employment. By all means save up and get the total enjoyment of owning your own Powerbook without owing anyone a cent.

Alby

Alby
10th May 2005, 04:06 PM
Ok, it's a PowerBOOK, not a powerMAC - but you can understand the slip when you are an Apple addict!

iwill
10th May 2005, 04:11 PM
:D yep good reply there Alby.
I don't like the idea of debt.. a couple of mates have car loans; and will do for a fair while!
So i think its knuckles down savings for me then :D

Thanks.