PDA

View Full Version : New MacBook - black plastic

Huy
1st November 2008, 02:16 AM
Hey everyone,

Just a quick question/request.

Can somebody check this for me: If you have a new MacBook (aluminium) or Pro, can you check to see if the black plastic area on the hinge (for the wireless) moves?

I have a 1-2mm gap which I'm able to slide the black plastic edge up and down on (e.g. if pushed up, it'll be flush with the aluminium but expose a gap, if pushed down, the reverse: flush with bottom but exposed gap on top).

I'm just wondering if this is normal or not - I was wiping the black area and felt it move.

Thanks!

poisontofu
1st November 2008, 09:14 AM
Hi Huy,

Just checked on my new MBP, and I can't get the black plastic hinge part to move. It does depress slightly when I push down on it, but it's more like the plastic's flexing a bit, and I wouldn't say it moves a millimetre.

Just to check *you're talking about the part of the hinge you can see when the machine is open, yes? (i.e. the part between the top of the keyboard and the MacBook/MacBook Pro logo on the monitor casing you can see when the machine is open, not the flat rectangular part you can see from outside when the machine is closed)

thorevenge
1st November 2008, 10:24 AM
You mean the clutch?

No - I would not expect that this should be moving other than as part of the hinge mechanism.

Although, I haven't had a chance to verify but I can say that most likely it should not be moving at all.

Phase
1st November 2008, 10:29 AM
Not to hijack your thread-

But does anyone else with a Macbook Pro (unibody) have a loose battery chamber cover?

Mine moves about 3mm back and forward if you jiggle it. :(

Geoff3DMN
1st November 2008, 10:32 AM
No movement that I can feel or see with my 2.4 Al MacBook Huy.

*edit* No movement when the laptop is closed either Huy and Phase my battery cover isn't loose although it is about 1mm curved so that the seam doesn't sit exactly flush all the way along the battery.

Huy
1st November 2008, 11:58 AM
Just to check *you're talking about the part of the hinge you can see when the machine is open, yes? (i.e. the part between the top of the keyboard and the MacBook/MacBook Pro logo on the monitor casing you can see when the machine is open, not the flat rectangular part you can see from outside when the machine is closed)

The latter I'm afraid. Flat rectangular part you see from the outside when the machine is closed.

You mean the clutch?
No - I would not expect that this should be moving other than as part of the hinge mechanism.
Although, I haven't had a chance to verify but I can say that most likely it should not be moving at all.
Clutch? :confused: What is this part?

Apologies for not being clearer.

This is what I am referring to:

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/359/011macbook2008unboxingmap1.jpg

On the back of the MacBooks, you can see a black strip, highlighted inside the red box.
Using the green arrows, this strip (on mine) is able to slide sideways in the direction of the green arrow, to the left or to the right. Slightly (1-2mm) but there is definitely a gap on the end/s.

To further illustrate this:

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/1301/012macbook2008unboxingmhj6.jpg

This is not my MacBook but I found the image on the net. Basically with this black piece of plastic (strip), you can see a gap on the end. One end (e.g. the left) will be absolutely flush with the aluminium, while the right end (say) will expose a gap (I have indicated this with the red arrows and lines). If you want to make the right side flush, then you 'slide' the black piece to the right -- which makes the left side expose a gap.

So I was just wondering whether this is normal behaviour or not, or whether others can do this too? (If so, it's not just me, no DOA, etc).

pwnT
2nd November 2008, 04:12 PM
Nope, mine won't budge no matter how hard I push either way =\

Huy
2nd November 2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks pwnT.

Any others? I'm in exam season so I'd rather not have to go back to the Apple Store and ask for a replacement.

I have another week before my return date expires.

DaveOZ
2nd November 2008, 04:21 PM
My black bit does not move.
My battery cover is flush and will not move.
and now that I have swapped my MB for MBPro my screen in great. :)

AfterBurner_1
2nd November 2008, 04:29 PM
If i were you i'd get it back asap and use your desktop

Huy
2nd November 2008, 04:33 PM
AfterBurner_1, I'm thinking that's what I'll do. Cheers. I'll see what they say about it though, before I go and bring the box in.

I'm pretty sure they won't give me any trouble with it, but it is a pain to box it all up again (and wipe the machine down), then return it to the store and get another one.

I'm on my desktop right now - the laptop only gets used at uni when I'm out. Sometimes in bed but not often since I'd rather be productive at a table than uncomfortable.

areal
2nd November 2008, 04:35 PM
Thanks pwnT.

Any others? I'm in exam season so I'd rather not have to go back to the Apple Store and ask for a replacement.

I have another week before my return date expires.

Why take it back then? If you have to survey people to find out if it is even a problem then it can't be that bad.

EDIT: I wonder why they chose black rather than grey for that part. It looks odd.

Huy
2nd November 2008, 04:38 PM
Well if it isn't "normal" to have this happen, then I wouldn't want to keep the machine.

I don't have another new MacBook to compare it to, so I'm asking those who have one to check for me, so that it'll save me a trip to the city.

I'm also well within my return period so if I can get it replaced for free, I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to have a completely working machine, without any problems or defects. I'm sure you would be feeling the same if you had a part that was not supposed to be moving around, move around.

I only just discovered it while cleaning the machine a few days ago.

pwnT
2nd November 2008, 05:27 PM
yeah, the lid on my macbook doesnt sit flush... it sticks out by a millimeter or so and it can semi slid up and down :( Ah well, it doesnt really bother me :)

Huy
2nd November 2008, 05:31 PM
When did you buy it?

You could get that replaced on those grounds. If you don't find it an inconvenience to format the machine then repackage it up again the way you got it.

pwnT
2nd November 2008, 05:33 PM
I bought it from JB HI-FI at the start of this week. Do you think they'll let me return it? I asked them about the 14 day take back policy and the guy serving me said they didn't have anything like that. They only took things back if there was something wrong with the machine. Could this be classified as a DOA?

Huy
2nd November 2008, 05:34 PM
Hmm.

JB HiFi has a different policy I think. The JB thread has people saying they don't take returns/exchanges.

If you bought it at an Apple Store, it would be DOA/defective.

pwnT
2nd November 2008, 05:39 PM
Ahhh, okay... Ignore my PM then :P Can I take it to a genius still while I'm in sydney? Or... I do I have to deal with JB?

mab
2nd November 2008, 05:40 PM
No movement on mine

Huy
2nd November 2008, 05:42 PM
Ahhh, okay... Ignore my PM then :P Can I take it to a genius still while I'm in sydney? Or... I do I have to deal with JB?

You should be able to take it to a genius and have them look at it.

But I'm not sure if they'll replace the machine for you, since you bought it at JB.

No movement on mine

Thanks. Now I'm pretty sure that this shouldn't be happening... :(

eni
2nd November 2008, 05:47 PM
I must say, it's invented 'issues' like this that truly turn me off the mac community (despite using mac on and off for most of my life). It's good to know the Apple Tax I've been paying for all this time goes to such worthy causes.

feeze
2nd November 2008, 05:47 PM
I would return it if I was you Huy.

If you don't it is going to niggle you for the entire life span of the Macbook.

I trip to the Apple store might cost you a few hours but it would certainly be better then years of annoyance.

Especially considering the machine is a $2000+ item you shouldn't have to put up with defects.

Huy
2nd November 2008, 05:49 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone else has this issue, because it's happening to me.

If it's not supposed to happen, then I'll swap it. I don't want to use a machine that is not 100% right (manufacturing wise) because that can lead to issues down the road.

pwnT
2nd November 2008, 05:50 PM
Ahhh, okay... Would it make a difference if I had apple care? :P

feeze
2nd November 2008, 05:51 PM
I must say, it's invented 'issues' like this that truly turn me off the mac community (despite using mac on and off for most of my life). It's good to know the Apple Tax I've been paying for all this time goes to such worthy causes.

Why should a person have to tolerate a defect?

If you bought an expensive car and the glove box was loose on it's hinge would you tolerate it?

I wouldn't, if I buy a product I expect it to be in perfect working order. The hinge should not slide as other macbook owners have confirmed, that is not an invented issue. Also there is no knowing if this will become a bigger problem in the future.

Huy
2nd November 2008, 05:52 PM
Ahhh, okay... Would it make a difference if I had apple care? :P

You should talk to Apple/JB. I am not in a position to really give you 100% proper advice.

But I think AppleCare or not, the machine is barely a week old and you should not have to purchase additional warranty to be able to exchange the machine (which will have a new serial # and hence APP is applied to the old serial).

benzoenator
2nd November 2008, 06:20 PM
Pwnt - Take it to an Apple Store if all possible. JB Hifi staff will go "Crap, we have a $2000+ refund here," and handball you to Apple (or worse, a PC repairer). There aren't many retailers around that have pretty return policies like Apple and DSE. I work with a guy who used to work at Harvey Norman, and they never accepted returns on laptops. I've got a feeling that JB would be exactly the same, so skip the bullshit and go to a place where you know you're going to get help instantly.

EDIT: Sorry, just checked your location. Ring Apple and see what they say. I reckon they might tell you to send it to them though. JB still won't be any help.

pwnT
2nd November 2008, 07:06 PM
Ahhh, okay. I understand lol. I'll see a genius IF it gets worst and see what he advises me. Thanks anyways Huy! :D

pwnT
2nd November 2008, 07:08 PM
Pwnt - Take it to an Apple Store if all possible. JB Hifi staff will go "Crap, we have a $2000+ refund here," and handball you to Apple (or worse, a PC repairer). There aren't many retailers around that have pretty return policies like Apple and DSE. I work with a guy who used to work at Harvey Norman, and they never accepted returns on laptops. I've got a feeling that JB would be exactly the same, so skip the bullshit and go to a place where you know you're going to get help instantly.

EDIT: Sorry, just checked your location. Ring Apple and see what they say. I reckon they might tell you to send it to them though. JB still won't be any help.

Oh, thanks a lot man! Like I said, it doesn't really bother me at the moment, but if the gap starts to get worst, then i'll make a call to Apple :) Thanks guys! :D

gumby08
2nd November 2008, 09:31 PM
I have a 1-2mm gap which I'm able to slide the black plastic edge up and down on (e.g. if pushed up, it'll be flush with the aluminium but expose a gap, if pushed down, the reverse: flush with bottom but exposed gap on top).

I'm just wondering if this is normal or not - I was wiping the black area and felt it move.

Thanks!

Huy - I have the same MacBook as you and if I push hard enough, the plastic will move left to right. The gap is only about 1mm and it doesn't move of its own accord - only if I actually move it manually. As the gap is really small, I'm not really concerned - it could just be that there needs to be a bit of movement there to enable it to open/close smoothly.

Huy
2nd November 2008, 09:40 PM
gumby08,

I'm not alone! Yes that's correct, it does not move by itself - I have to move it myself.

I was thinking that myself as well - that if there was no gap, then you'd be having a squeaky hinge due to the materials rubbing up against each other when opening and closing.

Thanks for your post! It makes me feel better that I am not the only one that has this 'issue' (not a real problem). I just thought it was odd that I could move it whilst cleaning it.

Thanks gumby08! :)

duz10s
3rd November 2008, 07:19 AM
mine might move 1mm if i really push it hard, wont bother me sure u could find many thngs like this on any products

thorevenge
3rd November 2008, 07:27 AM
Yeah thats the clutch.

Huy
3rd November 2008, 07:21 PM
Thank you thorevenge! It is definitely the clutch that I am talking about. This moves from side to side (when I wipe it down when cleaning).

Update: I received an obscure email from Apple Sydney today. It really didn't make any sense (first line).

we look at up your mail we can't see in new macbook any hinges , it may be Different model you may be talking
please we really appreciate you to come and see one of our Genius in our Genius Bar . you can book online for Genius Appointment. Thanks for contacting Apple , please feel free to come and see one of our Genius .

I am seeing a Genius tomorrow to enquire about this on my way to uni.

Joe91
3rd November 2008, 09:38 PM
Got mine Sunday, haven't noticed it moving.

Huy
4th November 2008, 09:16 AM
Got back from the Genius Bar.

He said it was 'normal' and that he hadn't heard any complaints about it before (even though this model is only 2 weeks old).

He took another machine out and it also moved around. So I say it's a normal thing if it does move slightly.

Good service from Erick.

TJA77
4th November 2008, 11:37 AM
Hi Huy

Just read this article over at iClarified and thought it might interest you or atleast maybe help you feel a little more at ease about your macbook issue :) It relates to your problem in the 5th paragraph iClarified - Apple News - Apple Investigating Glass TrackPad Problems (http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=2170)

Huy
4th November 2008, 11:47 AM
TJA77, thanks but this is not the same issue. My screen is not 'floppy' and falling down due to a weak hinge. This is the clutch (plastic horizontal bar area for the wireless) on the hinge, that moves side to side (left to right).

The problem that you have highlighted is with the hinge and being 'floppy' falling down. That is, falling towards you.

Wrong axis. :)

TJA77
4th November 2008, 11:50 AM
ah I see, my apologies