PDA

View Full Version : Internet Provider Ripping Me Off?

stevie
5th May 2005, 08:59 PM
Hi all,

I rang up an internet company this afternoon and enquired about wireless broadband as i do not have sufficient cabling out the front of my house.

They said that my area had excellent coverage and settting it up would be no worries.

They continued to say that connection fees would be $250, i asked them if they were able to connect it to a mac and the operator said it would be an extra $500 for an extra box of some discription.

Is this normal practice or am i getting ripped off? Is there any cheaper alternative?

Any insight would be greatly apreciated.

Steve

v1llage1d1ot
5th May 2005, 09:05 PM
I reckon that sounds pretty dodgy to me. Just get all the info for hooking it up. Then if it doesnt work, then look at some other options. but an extra $500 seems like a steaming load of bu11$h1t

Botox
5th May 2005, 09:06 PM
Sounds like a rip-off to me. Tell them to get stuffed.

suryo
5th May 2005, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by stevie@May 5 2005, 08:59 PM
... the operator said it would be an extra $500 for an extra box of some discription.

A box of bullshit perhaps?

napes
5th May 2005, 09:20 PM
Sounds very dodgy...

Have you done a check on:

www.broadbandchoice.com.au

???

stevie
5th May 2005, 09:24 PM
thanks guys i thought it sounded a bit steep just for a box to hook up with a mac.

I might just have to call up a few more places tomorrow and check what their connection fees are like.

I will search the forums at broadband choice and see if i can find anything.

aswitcher
5th May 2005, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by stevie@May 5 2005, 09:24 PM
thanks guys i thought it sounded a bit steep just for a box to hook up with a mac.

I might just have to call up a few more places tomorrow and check what their connection fees are like.

I will search the forums at broadband choice and see if i can find anything.
Make sure you buy a modem/router because the router will do the internet connection for your Mac - and no crap about special Mac support needed. Or in other words avoid USB modems.

warren21
5th May 2005, 10:14 PM
There's no such thing as a "SPECIAL CONNECTION" from "ANY" ISP. They are just crapping on. Do you really think Apple Computer would make a computer that wasn't compatible for Broadband connection?

I'm with Optus and share one half of a cable connection. No problems at all and certainly didn't need special connections to access the net, just a router and some good help from "Dial A Nerd".

:D

oink
7th May 2005, 02:50 AM
It would be interesting to know if any less than savvy mac-users have fallen for that BS.
Broadband seems like fertile ground for scam-artists these days. (The one that still gets me is the $30/month broadband scam and I can't believe major suppliers are allowed to get away with it still.)

Kreats
7th May 2005, 04:56 AM
Wireless internet requires a wireless interface for your computer, or a router which can be networked to your computer.

The normal way would be to install a wireless PCI card - however I'm not sure what wireless network cards are supported under osx. Also, this depends on which mac you have - some macs don't have PCI slots. Additionally, they would require that whatever card they use could connect to the type of antenna they are using.

So I'm assuming they want to install a wireless router. There would be some extra costs involved, but $500 extra seems steep. $150 for the router seems reasonable (but at the higher end of reasonable) - but that doesn't factor in labour costs.

Generally, expect wireless to be drastically more expensive both in terms of set up costs and general usage costs - the speeds are good (subject to weather conditions - e.g. signal gets worse if it is raining for instance), but usually have to install an antenna on your premises and the pricing is very unattractive compared to wired solutions.

BTW: you don't need special cabling out the front of your house for ADSL, this is done over normal phone lines and only requires an upgrade at your telephone exchange. Cable internet is different however, and does require additional cable to your premises (which most people don't have).

Try broadbandchoice.com.au and see what options they give you when you enter your phone number - I suspect you may be able to get ADSL (though I'm not sure of its availability to apartments), which would be a much better option.

So long story short - yes $500 seems like a ripoff, but do expect some extra costs involved and no you can't do it yourself with a wireless isp.

Soap
7th May 2005, 10:41 AM
whirlpool...do a google.. the kind of choice magazine of internet stuff / providers. The only real rip off with broadband ADSL is Turdstra's $100 fee for checking if your home is within the ADSL loop.

kim jong il
7th May 2005, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Soap@May 7 2005, 10:41 AM
whirlpool...do a google.. the kind of choice magazine of internet stuff / providers. The only real rip off with broadband ADSL is Turdstra's $100 fee for checking if your home is within the ADSL loop.
I'll make it easy for you. Here is an actual link to broadbandchoice (http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/)aka whirlpool. As the others have mentioned above it is THE definitive Australian site for all things broadband related in Australia.

Also Soap, what is this $100 fee for 'line checking' you are talking about? The only fee that Telstra charge that I am aware of is the ~$110 fee for enabling an ADSL data port at your local telephone exchange AFTER they have determined that the signal to noise ratio for your particular phone line will support 1536 kbps data transfer/line speeds (regardless of the plan you are signing up for). If you can't get ADSL you don't get billed (e.g. there is currently a limit of about a maximum of 5km from the local telephone exchange to get ADSL). (in this instance you are most likely to get a form letter that explains that currently you reside too far from a local exchange or that local infrastructure will not support ADSL for you (or some such thing))

cheers, kim

vicmeldrew
7th May 2005, 12:22 PM
I assume you are referring to this internet sevice provider:-

http://www.idl.com.au/?go=Prices&ref=Wireless.Broadband

You may need to wait for iburst/chilli to set in Newcastle. According to whirlpool it was due to start early this year. The iburst site has a map of newcastle with it marked as coming.
I have a Unwired service in Sydney. I did not pay an installation fee but had to sign a 12 month contract.

Richard

stevie
8th May 2005, 10:58 PM
Thank for all the replies.

vicmeldrew: Yes that is the provider i was talking about. They are coming to my house to see if they can connect it on tuesday. No matter what their answer I'll hold off for a bit as ibursts deal sound alot better.

Steve